Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
zargunn

Advice needed - about the slection pictured and backsplash

zargunn
9 years ago

Please let me know what you all think. The tile floor pictured and the cabinets are already installed, so cannot change that. We have 3 walls of the medium-dark cabinets interrupted by appliance and 1 doorway.

Thoughts about the granite selection? It is Arctic white. The floor tiles are not quite so yellow but have a fairly busy pattern with a combination of brown, grey, pink-ish and beige.
Also, what would you pick for the backsplash? Many thanks!

Comments (12)

• zargunn
    Original Author
    9 years ago

And here is a picture of the kitchen (unfinished, obviously).

Please give me your honest opinion and critique.

• OOTM_Mom
    9 years ago

Not all together. Cabinet looks good with either one, but tile and granite...not so much. I know you said tile isnt as yellow as it is showing in photo, but any yellow is too much with that slab, IMO. Keep looking.

• quiltnhen
    9 years ago

I think the contrast you chose is nice. I have always chosen white corian, but I seem to be the only one. That granite is one I think I would like. In the kitchen of the house I sold the new owner added kind of rough, uneven clear and white glass backsplash. It was very striking, even with my light alder cabs and white corian.
    LindaB/CA

• ardcp
    9 years ago

our cabinets are very similar. my floors are a leftover red oak laminate that i have decided to keep. we went light with some pretty flecks etc to balance the dark.
    imo the granite shown is too dotted and the color doesn't play up the cabinet color or the floor which is very pretty btw
    can you keep looking? it took us months and many visits to fabricators before finding a granite we loved (in our budget)

• zargunn
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you all!

• Gracie
    9 years ago

You could do an almost solid, warm quartz like mine that has the same color tone as the floor. With that floor and all that cabinetry, granite is just a distraction.

• live_wire_oak
    9 years ago

Agree with the suggestion for a warm, not white, quartz. The floor is busy, and you don't need any more pattern. It's also very warm colored, and the cool blueish whites aren't looking good with it, even though they may look good against the red cabinets.

• raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
    9 years ago

I think the floor is very pretty, but I don't like the granite with it at all.

• joygreenwald
    9 years ago

I have to agree. Love what you have, and it's a pretty granite, but not together. I'm not sure what to suggest because I'd do something in the green family, but I suspect that isn't what you want. Keep looking. Good luck.

• zargunn
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks you all! I will keep looking.

• LE
    9 years ago

Chiming in to agree with simple, no pattern, and warm in tone to play nicely with your floor. I would be looking at quartz instead of stone if I were you. (I loved some called Buttermilk and Desert Limestone, but those ended up being the wrong direction for me, even though I picked out the samples over and over again, they just didn't go well with the other elements.)

• rantontoo
    9 years ago

I saw a very muted-movement Colonial Cream slab while looking for a piece with more movement. If you want real stone, the color tones of Colonial Cream might work if you find a slab with limited movement.