Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Kitchen aisle spacing

Posted by n123 (My Page) on
Mon, Sep 23, 13 at 15:15

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts on the isle spacing between the deck, the second sink, and the seating area. I've read the forum suggested guidelines and tried to make everything be within those constraints but I am still a little nervous about the dimensions. I could steal 3" from the island by switching to a 30" sink (from 33") and I could also shift the island back towards the fridge.

My concerns are if someone is using the second sink and someone is sitting at the end of the island (counter height), is there enough space to walk by to comfortably go outside?

Any guidance is appreciated (even for general layout here, beyond this specific aisle).

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Kitchen aisle spacing

Have you looked at the 31 kitchen design rules? I think the situation you describe is a combination of rules 6, 7 & 8, and I'd say you'd want that walkway to be 54-60" wide.

Here is a link that might be useful: 31 kitchen design rules

o

Do you really need a prep sink that large? It seems that a much smaller one will do.

o

We could get away with a smaller one but the wife and I decided to just make them the same size. Even if we shrink it, it wouldn't increase the spacing in the isle. If we shrink the primary sink, then we could gain 3" on the aisle.

o

Hi n123 - where is your dishwasher? Are you planning on a truly counter depth fridge - what is the actual depth of your fridge with handles? Do you have a link to a larger picture? The dimensions on yours are hard to read because groupwise shrank it.

o

If you use a smaller prep sink, I would think that you could increase the isle width between the refrigerator and the end of the island. It is nice to have the isle wide enough that someone can get by a person that is getting into the refrigerator, otherwise, that becomes a choke point.

o

Here is a better resolution picture.
The fridge is full depth, we are having large cabinets built to case it out. There are two dishwashers flanking the island sink.

o

Hmm it seems gardenweb might be scaling the image. A better link is below on imgur.

Thanks!

Here is a link that might be useful: Kitchen image

o

I think I might see some confusion, sorry for not being clear. Our "prep" (really, just secondary for cooking helpers) is the non-island sink. Our primary sink is on the island. We currently have them both as 33" but we could shrink the island to 30" and gain 3" of walking space.

o

The function is backwards then. Put the DW's on the cleanup sink, and have a smaller prep sink with a 42"-48" aisle between it and the cooking zone. You've got pinch points between the seating and pantry, and the pantry and fridge wall cabinets, and the fridge and island end. Those are all too small.

o

The function is backwards then. Put the DW's on the cleanup sink, and have a smaller prep sink with a 42"-48" aisle between it and the cooking zone. You've got pinch points between the seating and pantry, and the pantry and fridge wall cabinets, and the fridge and island end. Those are all too small.

o

I agree with hollysprings on the size of sinks and placement of dishwashers. I'd just add that you should consider the placement of flatware, plate, and glass/cup storage - best to have those very close to the dishwasher to facilitate unloading.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here