Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lindseyz_gw

Kitchen Cabinet Refinish/Reface Options

lindseyz
9 years ago

Hi All -

This is my first post to the forums but my husband and I are avid DIY-ers and we are finishing up renovations on our first home.

A few months ago we tiled our kitchen floors and backsplash and had new granite installed. We also added a large breakfast bar peninsula where there was previously a pony wall. We knew at the time that replacing the cabinets would have been cost prohibitive ($6K+) because it's a first home that we expect to turn into a rental in 3-4 years. That being said, we know that the honey oak and dated door style will not work either so we are contemplating options.

1. Cheapest - Use walnut/java gel stain combination to refinish existing doors to a nice medium brown, replace hinges with concealed hinges, no hardware (The current doors have grooves at the bottom for opening so we can't install knobs) Approximated cost for materials (my labor is free) = $500

2. Mid-grade - Order unfinished doors from local millworks and install with concealed hinges. Then use walnut/java gel stain combination on frames and new doors to match. Install hardware. Approximate cost for materials:
New Doors $1800-$2000
Hinges $250
Hardware $100
Stain $150
Total = $2500

3. Professional - find a refacing company that will order new doors and veneer the existing frames to the walnut look that we want. Includes concealed hinges and knobs. After some preliminary research this seems the least likely option since tons of reviewers have complained about the quality and longevity of the refacing materials as well as really high prices. I've heard of bids approaching the $5K range which won't cut it.

Budget is $2k-$2.5K

We are leaning towards the second option.. but then another question that I have is:

Since I'm going to spend the money to order new doors, should I order them in a more attractive/less grainy wood like cherry or maple and then just stain the oak frames to match? Will this look really bad or will it be hard to tell with a dark cabinet color? I'm very handy and don't think the labor/skill is a problem, but wondering if anyone has experience with this in the past?

Will post additional photos in comments.

Comments (16)

• lindseyz
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Photo 2.

Thanks in advance for your replies!

Lindsey

• nosoccermom
    9 years ago

You know, depending in what part of the country you are, those horizontal plank doors may be ahead of the curve if you (gel)stain them darker.

I've seen them in Europe but can't find them now online.

• snoonyb
    9 years ago

"1. Cheapest - concealed hinges, no hardware (The current doors have grooves at the bottom for opening so we can't install knobs) "

What brand and style of hinge?

The typical hdw. installation, which would not affect/be affected by the groves in the doors, is to place the hdw. on the vertical door stile.

"2. Mid-grade - Order unfinished doors from local millworks and install with concealed hinges. Then use walnut/java gel stain combination on frames and new doors to match."

Unless the local millworks has the knives to match the dwr. style, you'll have a noticeable mismatch.

Even stripping the frames will result in an uneven stain match, unless you paint.

"3. Professional - find a refacing company that will order new doors and veneer the existing frames to the walnut look that we want."

Most "custom" cabinet shops do re-facing.

The common method is to replace both door and dwr. fronts.
    With a few tools, easily assembled, you can install the hinges, doors, dwr. fronts, stain and finish.

You can also order the doors and dwr. fronts with finger pulls, which would eliminate the hdw.

My vote is 3, 1 or 2, in order of preference.

• kirkhall
    9 years ago

Your kitchen appears dark, and adding dark to the doors would not be my first choice (you'll be in a cave)... Is paint an option? CEFreeman has some nice tutorials on how to strip and paint. I think white or gray or off-white would be really good choices for the cabinets in such a dark looking kitchen.

• emmarene9
    9 years ago

I love your current drawers/doors. I have never since this type until now.

• margo456
    9 years ago

My first vote would be to do DIY gel stain. Your backsplash and floor are light so I think you can go dark (I like dark cabinetry so I am a little biased). For few buck you can give it a try and see if you love it or hate it. You can try it on the inside of the doors first to see how it looks.

If you decide you do not like the dark stain I would do the paint.

I am not a fan or refacing. I think it is expensive for what you get.

• lindseyz
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you all for your responses!

Kirkhall - The kitchen is in the middle of the house so there are no windows in the kitchen itself. This does make it a bit dark. My fear with paint is that it will only accentuate the horizontal grooves that I'm already not crazy about. Also, we specifically chose a very light cream backsplash and a white/beige granite to be able to go darker in our cabinets. If we go white I'm afraid it will look washed out...

Snoonyb - Some of our neighbors did install hardware on the vertical stile, it just has to be ~2" up from the bottom of the door and I think it looks kind of strange (the finger groove goes all the way across the bottom of the door). I would try to opt for a face frame concealed hinge and drill the hinge cups myself. (Like these http://www.cabinetparts.com/p/blum-european-cabinet-hinges-BH38N355008?gclid=Cj0KEQjw4uSgBRDZveXz9M-E1aoBEiQA2RMP6pfaXoDD2bSXH4RdB5TXNeGdNnvbPh3edRqMbGNs28YaAmz68P8HAQ)

I'm not sure I understood you correctly on the second option... my plan was to order all new doors for every cabinet so that they would all be a new raised panel style. I was questioning what type of wood to order though...

Emmarene & Nosoccermom - Thanks!

This post was edited by lindseyz on Wed, Sep 17, 14 at 17:35

• lindseyz
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Margo456 - I've thought of "trying before I buy". I think it's probably worth it to spend a weekend and a few bucks because I could like it enough to keep it!

• lindseyz
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Also when I say dark I mean a walnut color not an espresso/full java...

This would be my ideal finish (including the more matte/satin finish vs. gloss)

• Errant_gw
    9 years ago

Option 1, for sure. Those cabinets are interesting, so I would try to work with them. Also, you would be out minimal $$, so it would be worth a try to see if they become livable :)

• Suziqzer1
    9 years ago

I agree that minimal cost is best at this point. As an owner of several rental homes I feel it is good to make a place nice, clean, and presentable, but to add new cabinets for the short term won't be cost effective for you long term. The cabinets you have are interesting and I agree stained an espresso color would modernize them enough to make them very nice. I say work with what you have and save that hard earned money for your forever home.

I don't know your market, but granite and a nice backsplash in a rental are not even thought about here. It looks like you will be able to ask a premium for rent. :)

• lam702
    9 years ago

Well, don't be offended but I don't like those cabinet doors at all. They are different, but to me they look very 1970's. Not that I think we have to give in to the whole "dated = must replace" mindset. I'd get new doors, if you like raised panel doors (I do too, although everyone seems to be doing Shaker today, but I think raised panel, like shaker is pretty much timeless) Your backsplash, appliances and counters look good. You could of course go with the dark gel stain, or could paint them, , white or gray would look great with the counters and backsplash (or even white uppers/gray lowers) If you don't like oak, you can get brushing putty to fill in the grain of the cabinet boxes and frames. But that is a lot more work, and if its going to be a rental, I'd just get the oak doors and gel stain or paint it. The visible grain isn't a deal breaker, especially for a rental. Leave the counters and backsplash, it will look fine.

• nosoccermom
    9 years ago

These are louvered, but it could look like this.

And either no hardware or vertical like the ones above.

• lindseyz
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for all the great feedback.

Hpny2 - no offense taken, the door style is not my favorite either. I love raised panel doors, just wondering if it will be worth it in the end.

However, like many others have said the risk of trying option 1 is pretty low compared to the others (aside from time and elbow grease). It's something to think about.

Nosoccermom - Thanks for the great inspiration photo! If I could replicate that feel perhaps these doors will win me over!

• snoonyb
    9 years ago

lindseyz;

When the finger-pull runs the length of the door, it becomes universal in application.

A custom cabinet shop dedicates doors to openings, doors are then hinged to that application and the finger- pulls are generally less than 4".

2" is a starting height, similar to your "gel-stain" example, and the aesthetics are your choice.

I've never installed pulls on doors. To much possibility for sprained fingers.

In reference to the dwr. fronts not matching.

There are any number of shaper knives which fit the description, "raised panel", and for a match you'll need to take a sample to the mill.

• nosoccermom
    9 years ago

Who's your potential renter?
    In 3-5 years, shaker doors may be "dated". Seriously, gel stain the cabinets darker, get some cool light fixtures, perhaps even under cabinet lighting, skip the hardware. You have a really nice kitchen there with some upscale features.
    And when you're ready to rent it, paint the walls whatever color is trendy then. Anything will go with your kitchen.
    If you wanted to, and depending on what's fashionable then, you could remove some cabinets and add shelves.
    Also, maybe add some open shelves above the fridge that are pulled forward to be more or less flush with the fridge.