Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dingoaint

Mixing woods. How to?

Fori
9 years ago

I'm putting my kitchen in an addition where it will be completely open to a family room and breakfast nook. There will be windows and doors across the room from the kitchen that will be trimmed in wood. The kitchen cabinets will be wood.

Do they have to be the same wood? Are there rules for mixing? Or general guidelines? Everything looks good with a medium oak floor. Is that because it's neutral or because nothing but oak looks like it?

Thanks!

Comments (6)

• westsider40
    9 years ago

Fori, My cabmaker made window casing and baseboards the same stain color as the cabs. Probably not the same wood species and it does not matter as it reads as matching. I have maple with a reddish brown, medium intensity depth.

• leela4
    9 years ago

We did the same as westsider with the exception of the casing around the kitchen window that ended up right next to the cabinets. Our cabinets are natural cherry, and all of the woodwork and trim was stained to match the cherry:

This is the only woodwork that is actually cherry:

• debrak2008
    9 years ago

I don't know if there are rules, if there are I've broken them. From where I'm sitting at my kitchen island I see 5 different stained woods, painted white wood and mosaic tile meant to mimic wood. Somehow it all comes together. In photos during planning it looked like a train wreck but IRL the differences are not that noticeable. The common element is the granite. I found granite that looked good with all the different woods.

I have found that I notice right away if in a room or a house all the wood is the same stain. To me it looks unnatural.

• Fori
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks!

We were planning (maybe) on doing cherry for both, but since we were doing an unstained cherry that would change colors, didn't know how to deal with a non-changing non-cherry. I know alder is popular for staining to go with cherry but I'm not sure....ack maybe I'm overthinking it.

Currently I have all flavors of wood around me and it's fine (to me) but it's one thing to work with what you have and another to spec it out yourself.

I'm tempted to just go with a painted trim for this room; the money I'd save by not getting wood windows (there are a lot) would more than cover all my appliances. And then I wouldn't even have to try to match stuff! Hmmmmmmmm.

Window shopping is not half as fun as it sounds.

• plllog
    9 years ago

Another way to look at it is to treat it as color and pattern. Do the colors look good together? Is one more orange? Does the dyed to match really match? Would contrast be better? Either hue or value (light/dark)?

Do the patterns clash? Oak (lots of pattern) and Maple (subtle pattern) look pretty good together. Birch and alder, neither with a lot of pattern, look good together. Oak and hickory together can make your eyes spin.

• katy-lou
    9 years ago

We have Douglas fir trim in the kitchen milled and stained to match the rest of the original woodwork in the house and then did natural cherry cabinets. Looks fine together. Our floors are the original white oak