Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Do you like your Viscont White granite counters?

Posted by Nan57 (My Page) on
Mon, Sep 23, 13 at 15:12

Like so many others, I lust over Calcutta gold marble but budget simply won't allow that as an option :( We're looking at granites and of course, nothing is really close to the marble. The only thing I saw that I didn't hate was called Viscont White.

Does anyone out there have this in their kitchen? Are you happy with it? We chose brushed black pearl for the perimeter counters (white shaker cabs) and want the 'marble' look for the island (espresso shaker cabs).

Would love to see your pics, too. Anyone else with marble-envy please feel free to chime in ;)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Do you like your Viscont White granite counters?

Hmm, nice! I really like that one. I understand the want for the marble look but most granites lack the softness and flow that makes marble so charming. But this one has the subtle movement and I like the way the dark mineral streaks are elongated - it gives it a softness. It might be my favorite white granite I've seen here.

o

Beautiful. I love it. I googled other images of this granite, and they vary a lot, but all lovely.

I looked up this granite's "absorption rate". That tells you how easily it will stain and whether you need to seal it. So, "Viscon Granite" (which appears to be the correct name) has an absorption rate of .2% - .25%. Pretty good! To give you comparisons, granites that are prone to staining and needing re-sealing several times a year, such as Imperial White and Kashmir White, have absorption rates of .35% - .5%. Granites that do not even need to be sealed and are bullet-proof like your perimeter Black Pearl is .1% - .15%. Viscon granite may need to be sealed once year, and maybe not at all.

Just an aesthetic point: you mentioned using this granite and Black Pearl. Just be a little cautious with the combination. Depending on your kitchen size and layout, two granites may be too much going on. I don't know your kitchen; I am just giving a friendly heads up.

Here is a link that might be useful: List of Absorption Rates

This post was edited by akchicago on Mon, Sep 23, 13 at 18:13

o

karin - thank you for your comments. I'm happy to have other (positive) opinions as my husband's eyes tend to glaze over with the finishing choices (he's a hands-on build-it kinda guy..I lose him on the details ;) What I liked about this particular white was that it didn't have a lot of browns or large speckles running through it as in others. They are all lovely, just not what I'm looking for.

akchicago - great link, thanks! That's another plus for choosing these 2 granites. I wonder if the brushed black pearl performs as well in this regard. I loved the feel of it and it did not seem to easily pick up fingerprint oils.

As for the combination of the two...I feel like the brushed BP has a solid enough look (no movement to make it busy) that is picked up in the dark streaks of the VW. Hope my gut is leading me in the right direction..

Also, do many people tend to combine finishes in the same room...ie brushed on perimeter/polished on island or vice versa? Is this common or a major faux pas? My instincts tell me 'no big deal' depends on your preference/usage etc. But the guys at the granite yard made it seem like a major issue! hmm

o

Very pretty stone. I can't give you any advice about how it will combine with your brushed black pearl but that is a beautiful slab.

o

I would do both honed. Why are you doubting the stoneyard's opinion? It's what they do for a living.

Brushed is more shiny, and has a texture to it. Honed is quiet and less "hellooo, look at me". You already have streaks and movement in the beautiful Viscont granite. Don't have the two counters competing with each other. One needs to be the center stage and the other needs to be quieter. Note that the marble look that you admired in your OP typically is from honed marble, not polished. Or, if you really want the Black Pearl brushed, then have the Viscon honed.

Remember you will have to pick a backsplash that will go with both counters. If the brushed Black Pearl is shiny, and you do an island of polished Viscon granite, and the backsplash tile is shiny, that means you will have 3 shiny surfaces in your kitchen. What about light fixtures - potentially a 4th shiny surface?

There's a thread on the Kitchens Forum that has been quoted a lot about too many clowns in a kitchen, with "clowns" not meant to be derogatory, but more that they draw all the attention, and one is plenty, while having none would be lacking in spirit. I'll copy Florantha's articulate summary: "During my overlong thinking process regarding our kitchen addition, I developed a concept called 'how many clowns in a room?' What I mean here is how many strong presences can an interior decor tolerate. One clown is great entertainment, too many clowns and I go sit in another room; no clowns and I'm unsatisfied."

o

romy- thanks for the thumbs up. This stone is growing on me every time I look at it :)

Thanks, ak. Points well taken. I am heading back to the yard this weekend to make the final decision regarding finish.

The reason I wasn't 'hearing' the fabricator was that he was strongly trying to steer me away from a honed or brushed finish altogether, mostly because of potential for stains. But from what I've read, the stain issue is manageable. I am willing to compromise a bit of maintenance for the beautiful look.

As far as too many clowns lol, I'm hoping that the solid look of the brushed BP will be subtle enough (the slab I saw did not appear shiny, rather leathery with a luster). Cabs will be white except for the island base which will be a dark espresso color..backsplash a plain white subway tile. My intention is to make the 'featured' clown in the room, my island top. Which is why I considered choosing the polished. Plus, that top will be getting most of the use..ie prep, eating, general use. Maybe I'm off track but I think it might work?

That said, can they take a polished slab and make it honed? Is there a big cost factor to do so?

o

I don't have it or know anything about it, but I think it's gorgeous!

o

I am currently renovating my kitchen and I too was absolutely in love with marble. I have never been a fan of granite. After looking into marble and granite, I decided I had to do granite. I searched and searched for a granite that I liked and I could not find anything. Finally, I went to a slab yard and stumbled upon this Viscont White slab. I absolutely fell in love. I do not have it on my counters yet but I am looking forward to seeing it installed within the next couple of weeks. I have gone with the Merillat portrait cabinets in cotton. Granite is so much cheaper and requires less maintenance than marble. I just wanted you to know that you are not the only marble lover looking into granite. I wish you luck in your search and hopefully I will be able to let you know how the granite is holding up soon.

o

Brea421, that slab is gorgeous. I love in particular the chunky part through the center. Wow.

o

Thank you, akchicago. That is my favorite part as well. I am hoping we can have that section on the small island that will be extended out but we will see. I hope to post pics once some progress gets made on the kitchen part of the reno.

o

Wow! Brea421 I love that slab. Please post pics once you have it installed. And thanks for sharing your thoughts. Since I found the VW, I'm excited about moving forward with granite. Returning to the yard this weekend to choose and reserve a slab. We are about 4-6 weeks away from install

o

Wow, Brea, that is a stunning slab!

o

Returned to the yard and found a different slab but having the hardest time deciding between this one and the one in my original post (above). Love the movement in this one...I feel I would be happy with either. Opinions welcome!!!

o

Brea, I love your granite slab. It is awesome.

Nan, both of the slabs you like are beautiful but I think the second one is an absolute stunner. The beautiful flow gives it a softer look,IMO.

o

Nan, both slabs are beautiful, but I absolutely love this second slab with the movement. I vote for slab #2! Stunning!

o

Slab number 2 gets my vote as well!

o

I would take #2 in a heartbeat! none of the viscount white slabs that I saw here looked remotely like that.

I am having a honed finish applied to a polished slab; prices quoted to do this varied a lot by fabricator, but for the two that I am debating it will add $5/sq.ft. I love the softness that honing brings to the stone. I saw a sample of honed river white (which is beautiful anyway) and the honing just made it glow.

o

Thank you all! I was leaning towards #2 and you've confirmed my thoughts on it. I love this forum :)

Raee I really like the honed look as well. I will have to ask our fabricator what that would mean $$ wise.

Choosing these counter slabs was a big decision...so excited and relieved to be one step closer to our new kitchen. I would love to see photos from anyone else who has chosen a similar stone!

o

We are having Viscount Granite installed at our house.

Our slabs are similar to the picture here with all of the movement in it. It is very reasonably priced as well.

My husband fell in love with it. like it very much as well.
We are leaving it polished.

o

Hi Michele. I would love to see your slab or a photo of your tops once they are installed! Good luck!

o

Nan, you asked earlier in the thread about combining different finishes for your Black Pearl and white granite stone. I agree with akchicago & your fabricator - whatever surface you choose, treat both stones the same. Since you're using different color stones and there are different patterns in each, you don't want to add another dimension of 'different' with contrasting surface treatment.
Honed finishes require more care than polished, need sealing perhaps every 6 months, and darker colors will show stains more easily. (lots of info online about specific care) Our polished granite counters were factory sealed and after installation (about 4 years ago) we sealed with DuPont BulletProof and haven't had to seal since. We wipe clean with soapy water & done - love it! I was going to go with soapstone but my husband talked me out of it and so glad he did. The granite looks great and is so easy to take care of. Look forward to seeing photos of your completed project!

o

The tops were installed yesterday. Very happy! At first I wondered if the white of the granite would blend with the creamier white of the cabinets, but then thought it may all come together once the white subway backsplash is installed...thoughts? (Our painter just gave me a quick coat of paint for now in case the splash wasn't done for Thanksgiving)

I especially love the brushed black pearl on the perimeters. It is soft on the eyes and to the touch.

After reading so many tales of woe regarding the fabricators, I have to say I breathed a huge sigh of relief as they did a spectacular job. Of course, I owe much to the kind community here at GW who shared their experiences...I was armed with all the right questions. :)

o

Whoa, gorgeous!!

Thanks so much for posting your pics!

o

that looks beautiful! That is a real alternative for people looking for a white and grey colored alternative to marbles. The closest slabs I've seen to these had maroon or green streaked in them. How is the porosity and other attributes?

o

Thanks tea4all!

gooster.. the tops just came in yesterday so I don't have much experience with it yet. We went on the general information I read before we ordered. I knew I wouldn't be happy with the etching associated with marble so I am assuming the granite will hold up better in that regard.

I will say that my DH placed a beer bottle (well-deserved ;) on it last night and we noticed a slightly darker ring which very quickly evaporated. The ONLY question I forgot to ask was whether or not the slabs were sealed in any way so I have a call in to them.

Would anyone else with a white granite know about sealing and/or maintenance?

o

Here are our Viscont White counters and backsplash.
We are very happy with this stone.

Michele222

o

Michele222, I love the Viscont White Counters you used! Thank you for the idea as I will look into this counter also.

o

Hi Nan - We just installed Viscon White granite in our kitchen as well, and we are noticing the same thing that you described above - that any standing water will stain the granite temporarily. Although today while cooking, something else got into the granite and it doesn't seem to be evaporating. Did you get yours sealed? Has that helped with discoloration?

Thanks!

o

Hi Szpila, We did have ours sealed. Our top gets lots of heavy use and honestly, I haven't had any permanent staining issues, only the temporary darkening with water. Was yours sealed? There are lots of threads on methods to lift stains from granite that are very helpful.

o

We also had darkening of the granite from spills after we used a cheaper sealer. We called our stone supplier and they recommended 'DuPont Bullet-Proof'. That stuff is amazing! It has been 5 years since we sealed our counters and no stain (even after juice from blueberries was left overnight), darkening from liquids, or anything permeates the seal - love it!
We have no connection w/DuPont - just very happy with this product after the first one failed us.

Here is a link that might be useful: DuPont Bullet-Proof

o

Thanks for the responses! I'll try the DuPont and see if that helps with the darkening.

o

It's been a year since this blog was started, and I assume you have gotten your Viscont White. I just redid my kitchen and got VW, installed six weeks ago. Very sorry I chose it. Yes, it's gorgeous, BUT. I'm a family of One; I do not cook a lot; I'm fussy about my beautiful new kitchen. Like Kashmir White, it stains. I read how awful KW is. I even read that VW is from the same part of the world: Middle East. I didn't connect the dots, now I'm sorry. For anyone else reading this and thinking about VW, think again. Granite from South America and Europe are the best. IMO, and I've remodeled many kitchens.

o

Cappy1225, thank you for the warning. I am so sorry about your beautiful Viscont White granite counters staining. Thank you for the warning. Maybe you need a better sealer and need to seal twice a year?

o

Yes, cappy1225, I'm also sorry to hear you are having problems with staining. As lynn2006 suggests, perhaps you need a better sealer. I have enjoyed these counters for almost a year now and have not had any problem with staining...they still look like the day they were installed.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here