Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cleaning lime from black granite

Posted by Lois727 (My Page) on
Thu, Sep 8, 11 at 15:06

I had beautiful black galaxy granite installed a little over a year ago. I love it! I love the look of it, I love the feel of it, it is just fantastic in my kitchen.
However, I get lime deposits behind my sink, around the faucet area. They really show up on the black much more so than on my old medium toned laminate countertops. I used to use vinegar to clean them off the laminate, but I don't think vinegar is appropriate for granite.

So, I can't be the only person who deals with this, but I can't seem to find any information on getting the lime off (other than scraping it with a knife, but I'm concerned that that would just scratch my counters.)

Any one have some good advice on cleaning lime stains from black granite? and then preventing them in the future?

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help me out!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cleaning lime from black granite

You can wax the area close to your faucet after cleaning it, but any harsh chemicals should be avoided. The best "cleaner" is preventative maintainence. Wipe up any water immediately, and rinse with distilled water, then use a microfiber to dry. Yes, it's high maintainence, but it beats you etching your counters to heck and back using CLR.

o

use a plain old straight single edged razor blade - like the ones you find in the window scrapers....

you wont damage your granite, and the lime will shave off with a little effort, but it will come off - trust me !!!!

we have TONS of Lime in the water here in AZ !!!!!

hth

kevin

o

000 or 0000 steel wool--buffs hard water and mineral deposits off granite.

o

Thank you! Just got around to trying your suggestions and they worked- my granite looks the same as when it was installed.

I was worried about scratching the granite, but the paint scraper razor got the lime off and left the counter looking new again.

I thought I'd just have to live with those white marks because we have hard water, so I am glad that I asked for advice here.

Thanks, again, for taking the time to help!

o

I do exactly what Kevin suggests on my marble bathroom counter: scrape with a straight razor. I was a little nervous about scratching, but so far I can't see any problem. (The marble is honed.) Wiping up the water after hand washing simply isn't going to happen in my house with my significant other and our guests.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here