Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
heidi_tapley

Granite Installation

heidi_tapley
11 years ago

We had Typhoon Bordeaux granite installed on Friday evening. The installer was running behind and didn't finish until 9 p.m. Unfortunately, shortly after he and his crew left my dh and I noticed an area of concern. My husband called the owner, who was on the job, and he and crew looked at it. The owner did state that he would stop rubbing it because he couldn't rub it away. They didn't deny nor admit it was a problem, but did say the fabricator would contact us this week. The installer did mention that exotic stones can be delicate and that is why they ship them with the mesh on the back.

This crack is to right of the sink on the peninsula. The crack/fissure goes from the pencil point to the pen point. It is very noticeable when running your nail or business card over and doesn't appear to be following any veins.
{{!gwi}}From Granite

Unfortunately, Saturday morning, while admiring the beautiful movement in the stone, I noticed other issues. There appears to be a crack on the front apron of the sink that wraps around all three sides. And due to the sink. Also, on the other side of the sink in the peninsula area, there is another area of crack which I had a hard time capturing in a photo. When walking in the door, the smoothness of the granite is distorted due to the crack picture. In the middle of the picture you can see an upside down Y. The single branch of the Y starts on the edge goes to the top and runs for over 15 inches before branching off. It can be felt by running a business card over it with your nail.
{{!gwi}}From Granite

While installing the faucet, my dh realized the granite composite sink wasn't undermounted properly, and I have a sticky drawer in the same area. Needless to say, we have stopped payment on the check but have already received 50% down. I don't like to be a nitpick but feel as if this is a lot of money for something that is far from perfect, and after shopping around until I found the perfect slab of Typhoon Bordeaux, I feel as if my perfect dream could possible turn into a nightmare. What would you consider a reasonable resolution?

Comments (3)