Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shelly_k_gw

finished new construction -- kitchen, greatroom, mudroom pics hea

shelly_k
13 years ago

Hi All! We moved into our new construction home 7 weeks ago and we're getting settled gradually! Just wanted to say thanks to many of you for you help on my kitchen! Love it! Special thanks to Beuhl and Rhome-- great advice!!

We have much to do yet as far as furnishing and decor but I'm just happy to be out of most of our boxes! :) These pics are by no means, "staged" -- we live here! But just wanted to share a few..

This is a ranch style home -- 3 bedrooms on main and finished lower level with two more bedrooms and kitchenette. South Dakota suburb type lot (3/4 acre) on a golf course. We're a family of 4 -- 2 kids ages 5 and 3.

Lamp, waiting for a foyer table! :)

Mudroom Walk In Closet:

Mudroom:

Mudroom Cubbies:

Laundry:

Covered Concrete Deck:

Backyard:

Pocket Office off kitchen:

Pantry:

Basement Kitchenette:

Comments (77)

• twosit
    13 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Wow--everything looks wonderful! The attention to detail is incredible!

• red_eared_slider86
    13 years ago

WOW! Your house could be in a magazine! Congratulations!

• Jean A
    13 years ago

Beautiful job! What is the paint color that you used in the kitchen/main floor area?

• cat_mom
    13 years ago

Oh wow!!!! There are so many things I love about all the different parts of your home (and yard!), I can't single out just one!

• pupwhipped
    13 years ago

I have some serious pantry envy going on now.

Fantastic!

pup

• sparklekitty
    13 years ago

Shelly - I love the L layout of the kitchen dining and living. Very natural and comfortable with openness and separation. The kitchen ceiling is a nice touch and the overall vibe is contemporary and earthy. The large island is beautiful. But... the shining star for me is the walk in foyer closet. You had me at shoe shelves... mine are on a piece of furniture in the foyer and make me cringe. I am rethinking my whole (tiny) foyer and reconsidering putting in a closet. We put one in the hall but it is about 1/100th the size of yours :) Congrats!

• shelly_k
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I had a few people request more pictures -- please don't feel like you have to look at all these! Rookie, there are a few more closet shelves to look at -- nothing too exciting.

Dining Room and Buffet:

Buffet:

Cleaning/Broom Closet (vacuum goes under lowest shelf)

Another Broom closet pic

Family Room from Kitchen:

DD's walk in closet

Master Bedroom

Master Bath:

Love the "blow dryer garage" to keep it plugged in at all times!

M. Bath Linen

Master Closet

Hallway to mudroom and kids' rooms:

DS's room:

Kid Bath

Powder Room

Lower Level Guest Room with Bath

Lower Level Exercise Room

Lower Level Closet:

DD's Room:

DD wanted in on the pictures!

• shelly_k
    Original Author
    13 years ago

jnbean -- the paint color is BM Revere Pewter but we darkened it a couple of times by adding both brown and black. If you want, I could get the exact formula off the paint can.

• MariposaTraicionera
    13 years ago

Lovely home. Especially love your wooden floors and your paint. What brand and colour name did you use in kitchen/living areas?

• Gena Hooper
    13 years ago

So many great things! Love your stacked cabinets and pantry and the gorgeous grays in your color scheme. I absolutely love your mudroom and cubbies. Wow. Our mudroom cubbies never looks do tidy or organized. Beautiful! Enjoy your gorgeous new home.

• kaidan
    13 years ago

I am in love with your house!! I just want to see more and more :)
    Of course I love the kitchen, the dark cabinets with your granite...the dining table...all of it. But the house is stunning. Your stairs leading down are exactly the look we are aiming for for our own remodel (eventually ;)) They look great!
    All the dark wood throughout looks incredibly sharp. Congrats on a beautiful job.

• shelly_k
    Original Author
    13 years ago

kaidan -- I would like to take credit for alot of the design, especially the contemporary stuff but it came mostly from my DH! I lean a little more toward traditional, although I like contemporary. So that is why you I tried to incorporate earthy tones and a few traditional things for me! But I do love how it turned out! Good luck in your remodel!

• chicagoans
    13 years ago

Absolutely terrific! So many lovely details, it's clear you had a hand in everything. The concrete turned out beautifully (as did everything else!) I'm salivating over the mudroom storage.

That looks like a perfect family home. Congrats!

• xyte21
    13 years ago

What product did you use for the fireplace? Is it stone or tile? Your house looks super!!

• shelly_k
    Original Author
    13 years ago

The fireplace is cultured stone.

owens Corning pro-fit ledgestone southwest.

• Kathy Beebe
    13 years ago

Brilliant home! Congrats

• weiyan8
    13 years ago

Shelly_K, love the house! The square sinks are great. wish I would have seen your house before we started ours. Are those stained concrete floors? Looks like a 4 car garage?

Wei Yan

• kaysd
    13 years ago

Your home is really beautiful! I love that it is clean and contemporary, but still looks very warm and comfortable. I am having so much pantry and mudroom envy right now.

Your DD is a cutie. How old is she?

Could you please post the dimensions of your kitchen island? I would love to design something similar with seating for 4 if my kitchen is big enough.

• ptyles
    13 years ago

Truly fabulous home! I love all your design choices and colors. It looks like such a nice airy house to be in. And your backyard is a dream for kids!

• shelly_k
    Original Author
    13 years ago

weiyan8 -- Yes, acid stained concrete in the lower level and a different process on the concrete in the mudroom on the main level.

Kaysd -- the dimensions of my island counter edge to counter edge is 9'8" long and 51 1/2 inches wide. I would like to put one more stool on the long side which I think would fit ok, so I could seat 5.

• pb_abby
    13 years ago

Your house is amazing! By far my favorite ever posted on this site.

It sounds like you live near where I grew up - I was on the Iowa side, but grew up in Hawarden.

• wizardnm
    13 years ago

I loved looking at your pictures. You've done a beautiful job on your home. Very nice!

• dyno
    13 years ago

Your house is hereby declared "GW Approved" :)

Very nice job with many well thought out details without being garish.

• shelly_k
    Original Author
    13 years ago

pb abby -- how funny! I grew up in Sanborn (Hartley-Melvin-Sanborn) -- we played West Sioux in sports and my boyfriend's family was all from Hawarden... small world!! :)

• jhs2010
    13 years ago

You did an amazing job! So many well thought out details. As we are just about to break ground, I am noting several details I would just love to incorporate into our own home - the amazing shoe organizer in your mudrroom closet, the usable shelf in your pantry with outlets, and the appliance garage in your bathroom vanity. Great planning and organization as well as a beautiful home. Enjoy and thank you for sharing!

• rhome410
    13 years ago

Beautiful, beautiful. It's so clean and elegant and light. I love the storage, and am particularly jealous of your mud room, your pocket office (have been since I saw your original plan and it's as great as I'd imagined), and that lower level linen closet. I kick myself for not planning one or two closets like that in our house!

Your beautiful kids will be growing up in a palace!

• momfromthenorth
    13 years ago

Shelly, your home is just beautiful! One of my favs posted here on GW. If you don't mind sharing, what brand of windows did you use? (We're trying to pick out some casements)And are they wood or vinyl?
    TIA

• theresse
    13 years ago

Thanks a lot. Now I'm totally depressed!!!
    ;)

Wow. Striking, sophisticated, elegant, uncluttered. And I love those trees. Trees trees and more trees - and space! Lucky (and/or hard working) people you! It's nice to see a black kitchen - we don't see that so often anymore. And you pulled it off beautifully. I so want to go spend a week in that house. Luxurious baths, comfortable beds, great TV time, work out time, cook up something yummy...and you get to LIVE there? No fair!!

• shelly_k
    Original Author
    13 years ago

sippimom -- we used the Pella Wood Proline casements. So far we really like them. We think they look nice and they are easy to use and service has been great. We had a guy come out to adjust the handle tightness and he was great.

Theresse and Rhome -- thanks for your compliments! We do love living here and we love not being in the apartment anymore! :)

• gigib_08
    13 years ago

Beautiful home - inside and out!! Love the kitchen! DD is a cutie and should be included in the pictures! Enjoy your new home!

• vidyaram
    13 years ago

This is truly one of the most beautiful homes I have seen on gardenweb. I especially love how you have pulled off the closets and storage space everywhere. You must be very organized and I love if things are hidden too! Your Kitchen, mudroom, bathrooms are to die for. What granite did you use in the kids bath? We are building a house too and am so excited but I wish I had thought about a bigger mudroom and a broom closet earlier on. Your DD is such a cutie! Could you please tell the name of the brands for your master bedroom and kids bedroom fans. I love that color on the master bedroom wall too. I am planning to use that kind of green in my master bath and we have ordered espresso cabinets too for the Master bath.
    Enjoy it!

• vampiressrn
    13 years ago

Congratulations...it is a beautiful home. I think you are doing well so far. Love the modern look in the main area. The colors are great and you are well organized in your closets...keep heading in that direction...your place will look awesome!!!

• lazy_gardens
    13 years ago

I just noticed that the backsplash has the same pattern as the fireplace, but in a darker color.

• shelly_k
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Vidyaram --
    *The granite is carioca gold in the master bath and the kids' bath.
    *The kids' bedroom fans are called Monte Carlo Discus. Master bedroom fan is Fanimation Zonix.
    *Master Bedroom color is Benjamin Moore Georgian Green

• neesie
    13 years ago

What a beautiful home. I love your kitchen, and the patio. What a great idea to make a basketball court for your kids. The window in your closet is really great too! You have so many details and nicely used closets. I'm sure you'll be so happy there.

P.S. Your dear daughter is a cutie!

• Susied3
    13 years ago

Fantastic, just fantastic. I'm speechless. You did a great job! Are your cabinets in the Master Bath the same as the kitchen? I love the cabinet in the middle of the vanity with the appliance garage. Just wondered if it was custom, or from the kitchen line? Excuse my ignorance!

Love your closets, I'm in serious closet envy!

• shelly_k
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Neesie -- I'd like to think the bb court was for our kids, but it really is used by my hubby! He played bb in college and still plays and coaches varsity at our local high school. So there are alot of 3 on 3 games on that court! That said, the kids do love it too! DD loves to shoot already and DS loves to ride his bike and scooter on it! :)

susied3 -- yes, the cabinets in the m. bath are the same as in the kitchen. The line is semi-custom and the cabinets are called Crestwood, manufactured in Salina, KS, I believe. I love the appliance garage in the bath too!

• Linda Gomez
    13 years ago

Very nice! I love how you've incorporated the stone in the kitchenette & elsewhere in the house. I'd like to do that too. I know I don't want it on the range wall.

I also like your patio railing. That extra 4 inch-height is well-thought out. (Like the rest of the house!)I'll bet with that design, you can sit on the porch & look out without your view being blocked AND meeting code!

Your kitchenette on the lower level inspires me. Mine doesn't have to look like hand-me-downs with reject cabinets. Thanks.

• soesoe75
    13 years ago

Lovely! Can you give more details on your hickory hardwood floor? Specifically I was wondering if it was engineered and pre finished and from What from what company.
    Thank you,
    soesoe75

• shelly_k
    Original Author
    13 years ago

soesoe75 --

We purchased the hickory unfinished. It is 5 inch planks and was finished on sight and not stained. Only a water based finish instead of oil based poly.

• pb_abby
    13 years ago

Do you have the plans for your pantry? I'd love to show my GC on Friday

• kannon02
    13 years ago

Would you mind posting your plans? After seeing so many great pics, it would be nice to compare my plan dimensions to yours. It's so hard to visual room size on paper!

• kannon02
    13 years ago

Sorry...disregard my last message. I just came across your plans in other posting. Thanks!

• formerlyflorantha
    13 years ago

The ceiling detail in dining area and kitchen really caught my eye. And the floor. I like them!

• albertsoni
    13 years ago

Love your house! This is great timing as we are breaking ground next week. I see your flooring is hickory, I love it. Can you give details about that? Width, grade, etc?

Our flooring has been our hardest part to figure out, I love how fresh and contemporary yet warm your look is. It is hard to achieve that balance, but you have done it perfectly.

• albertsoni
    13 years ago

Sorry, I missed your 5" onsite finished post. What grade is your hickory? I love it, it has a much nicer look than much of the hickory I have seen.

• fish0813
    12 years ago

Love your house! We are in the beginning stages of building our home. Just curious how many square feet your home is? Also, what is the exterior details? Siding color - brand, brick? Exellent job!

• kbundy
    10 years ago

I'd love to get your exact paint can formula you did with the pewter. I love it!

• ReBe231
    10 years ago

How exciting to move into your new home. You did a fabulous job. I love your wall colors and storage spaces.

• xc60
    10 years ago

This thread is 3 years old.