Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Soapstone in Seattle - Distributors and Installer

Posted by mmagruder (My Page) on
Thu, Sep 23, 10 at 14:58

I am looking to put in soapstone in my kitchen and have been to both the Seattle & Fife Pental. Is there anywhere else in the Seattle area (South or North) to find soapstone? I prefer the more charcoal grey instead of green tint with not a lot of movement.

Also, any installers anyone can recommend?

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Soapstone in Seattle - Distributors and Installer

Meta Marble in Georgetown has 3cm gray soapstone in stock right now (I just called to confirm). They also have a list of fabricators whom they can recommend.
Best of luck,
Shaughnn

o

Thanks Shaughnn I will go check it out.

o

Hi-
We got our soapstone at Meta Marble & Granite. We were also looking for a more gray/blue tone vs green, and we couldn't find any on the east side of the mountains, so we went over there to look. We were very happy to find it, and they shipped it to our fabricator/installer over here (so I don't have a rec. for that in the Seattle area)

Here's some pictures:
Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

HTH

o

HI---I am also in Seattle. I just found out that Pental
stocks the same Original Green sold thru Green Mountain marketed as Original Green. It turns very dark charcoal grey/black when oiled, little movement. The Oregon Pental has Original PA coming in (which is black when oiled & a harder stone)& I am waiting to hear if the Seattle Pental will also get some of this shipment. Lots of beautiful kitchens on the gardenweb website (katieob, Megpie77, mary_ in_NC etc.) have the Original Green & Original PA soapstone. Take a look at their kitchens, I think it is the soapstone you are seeking. Megpie77 is in the Seattle area & she posted her soapstone pics, she has Original Green & it reads charcoal grey.
Best,
Lisa

o

We are in Portland and tried to find a "local" fabricator that actually had worked heavily with soapstone and didn't find one. We ended up going with Shadley's out of Bend, OR and they did an amazing job. They (husband and wife) template and fabricate on site, our counters went from a full slab to installed perfection in a single day.

We were going to DIY after getting quotes from the local granite fabricators that would also work with soapstone, their prices were unreasonable...Shadley's was much more in line with what we expected. All they do is soapstone, and they will do runnels in it as well.

o

I found a place just North of Seattle called Crocodile Rocks stone supply. They have by far the best selection of soapstone in the Seattle area! My husband works in that area; he begged me to meet him, so I did. And I was pleasantly surprised!! They have 5 different kinds I think. And they're all priced the same at $22.50 per square foot. We ended up choosing the Valentino, which is super black with fine white veining. Good luck everybody and cheers to soapstone!

o

Leela4, that stone is SO gorgeous. Is your counter oiled, or will it turn another color if/when oiled?

o

Hi rhome-thanks, we think it's gorgeous too. We have yet to oil it, and it's been over 2 years now. I have oiled one of the sink cutouts that we have-mostly to inservice people who ask about soapstone to show them what it would look like oiled. It is a somewhat softer variety so it has some scratches and dings, and we have talked about oiling it for that reason. But then we think, no, not yet!

o

I also used Valentino soapstone from Crocodile Rocks...and I used Ed at Double Eagle Interiors in Auburn as our fabricator. He did a great job, even checked in with Soapstone Joshua when an issue came up. We used Dorado dry wax and he put on at least 3 coats. He would be a good person to contact.

o

We used Meta for "Smoke" soapstone, and our fabricators (who were fabulous) were Architectural Stone Werkes, Inc.
206-768-8305
(yes, spelling is deliberate)
(leela4, we are surviving the little dings & scratches,you were right - it's super minor and not upsetting. The benefits definitely outweigh the "patina"

o

Not to hijack-but nineteenoeight-are you done? Did I miss the reveal?

o

No reveal yet - yet another tile problem(entire order being redone) so backsplash not in, life crazy, might do the reveal w/o backsplash if I can manage to take some pics!

o

We found our soapstone at Crocodile Rocks. They have TONS of soapstone and a lot of white marble. Which I was considering, but went with soapstone. Our fabricator is Homchick Stoneworks. We're having them make a matching soapstone sink with a drainboard. We are so excited! I'll try to remember to post photos when they're installed.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here