Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tikilyn

Is my kitchen layout ok

tikilyn
10 years ago

I need to know if my kitchen layout is ok. There is one wall that will have the fridge,dishwasher,sink, and build in microwave. The other wall will be the focal point and will have the stove and double ovens.The kitchen feels a little heavy on the sink wall. I do not want the main sink in the island only a prep sink. In the design that sink is to large.

Also I wanted know what needs to be finalized in appliance locations before the blue prints are finish?

I've posted the whole floor plan for you to see. We are a family of 4 (mom,dad and two tweens). Any feed back would be awesome.

Ps. I still can't figure out how to get the pictures to show up in the post. sorry about!

Here is a link that might be useful:

Comments (6)

• Buehl
    10 years ago

Here's your floorplan:

I copied the stuff in the box labeled "HTML" in Photobucket and then pasted that stuff in the Message box here.

This post was edited by buehl on Sun, Sep 29, 13 at 15:19

• tikilyn
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Weird it wouldn't let me do that! Thank you so much. Here are the changes I'm proposing to make.

This post was edited by tikilyn on Sun, Sep 29, 13 at 15:52

• Cindy103d
    10 years ago

I'm no designer, but the work triangles seem off. You'll have to walk around the island to get from the fridge to the sink and your pantry is very far away. Can you add some measurements for run of cabinets and repost?

It would also help if you described how you plan to use the kitchen. How many cooks? How do you use the outdoor kitchen vs the indoor kitchen? Will you have another eating area outside?

• tikilyn
    Original Author
    10 years ago

While deciding where to put everything I kept thinking how to get my husband outta of my way while I was cooking! LOL Right now our kitchen is so small. Every time I start cooking he has be right there behind me washing dishes and putting them away. So I wanted the sink and clean up area far away from me while I was cooking!

The island will be my food prep. So I see my self walking to the fridge, pull out what I need and throw it on island. Then walk over to the pantry, grab what I need and throw it on the island. Prep the food, turn around and throw it on the stove or in the oven.

The sink in the island is just a prep sink, I will also have a pot filler above my cooktop. The main sink and dishwasher is next the fridge.

The out door kitchen is just a grilling area with a clean up sink. It will have a smallish bar for friends to sit at. There will also be a lounge area in front of the living room patio doors.

The cabinet run where the range is located at from the pantry wall to the end of the cabinets will be approx. 13' long.

The other wall will be approx. 12'
    The total size of the kitchen and nook is 24' x 16'

• debrak2008
    10 years ago

Consider putting the dw on the other side of the sink. Then move the mw next to the refrigerator. Then the kids snack triangle gets shorter.

• sawt
    10 years ago

Debrak2008's idea is a good one if your dish cabinet is appropriately placed. Otherwise, I quite like your layout. If work triangles are too tight, you really feel it on your feet and back. It's good to able to move around a bit.