Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Countertop installation help: am I too picky or that's the norm?

Posted by babyfish00 (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 8, 13 at 14:51

I ordered the countertop through my kitchen design house and have it installed two days ago. I'm a bit concern with the uneven spacing between my cabinet panels and the island return. The differences running from top (almost flush with the panel) to near floor is about 7mm. Is that normal? More photos are coming. Please advice.

photo countertop_zpseccff31e.jpg

This photo shows the other side of the return piece
 photo countertopanotherside_zpsc90e23d7.jpg

This photo shows the floor next to the return piece.
 photo bottom_zpse739573d.jpg

This photo shows the top piece of the countertop.
 photo Top_zps61baa065.jpg

This post was edited by babyfish00 on Sun, Sep 8, 13 at 21:47

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Countertop installation help: am I too picky or that's the no

null

This post was edited by babyfish00 on Sun, Sep 8, 13 at 21:48

o

It's hard to really understand what I'm seeing. Can you do one photo from farther away so we see the whole picture of the counter top and understand where this is?

o

I don't know what's going on either. Is the photo on its side?

o

If the cabinets were out of level, the counter still has to be shimmed to level. You will end up with gaps under the counter when that happens. The cabinets should have shimmed to level instead. Or, if it's a retrofit situation, a cabinet guy should have provided you with some trim to disguise the out of level gaps. IF that's what you're talking about here?

o

No, I think the overhang varies 6mm, or about 1/4" from one end to the other. This could be from the cabinets being out of square.

This post was edited by palimpsest on Sun, Sep 8, 13 at 16:42

o

Ok I'll throw in my guess here - are we looking at side of a waterfall counter? (A term new to me within the past couple weeks!) If so then my guess is the counter was installed level, plumb and square but the cabinet was not.

o

Good idea. Maybe we can have a guess what this picture is contest, lol.

o

Sorry guys, my bad. Pictures are modified now.

This post was edited by babyfish00 on Sun, Sep 8, 13 at 21:49

o

My partially finished kitchen

This post was edited by babyfish00 on Sun, Sep 8, 13 at 21:54

o

I don't think you're being picky.

o

More help please!

o

(Deleted comment because I might be looking at it backwards)

This post was edited by foodonastump on Mon, Sep 9, 13 at 18:14

o

What's the level show on the back side of the cabinet? I was disoriented when I wrote my deleted post, but if I've got it right now it the back (not sink) side of the countertop needs to be shimmed up. That would reduce your reveal on the bottom edge. Could probably get that line pretty close to perfect even if the cabinet is not. Impact on the floor line might become an issue.

o

If you onto the web site for The Marble Institute of America, they will have the tolerances (the allowable flexibilty in measurements) for the stone countertops. It also might explain to you how and why it would be that way.
They are the number one organization about all things stone.

o

Thanks foodonastump and RoRo67, I've reported to my design house eventually and am expecting their feedback. I know 7mm discrepancy is not a big deal compare to a visible crack or dents to someone. Still I'm expecting the fabricator can do a better job to make that line close to perfect. It shouldn't be that hard to do when they install if they pay attention to the details. But now, I'm not sure the fabricator is willing to do a second visit to fix it.

o

Generally speaking, if the bubble doesn't go outside of the black marker lines, it passes.

o

--- Updates ---
Ok, the technicians from the countertop company finally come to see the problem in my home. After a few checking on the levelings, they find out the return piece is actually installed upside down. So a new piece will be made and swapped with the one sitting in my kitchen in two weeks.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here