Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
marykh_gw

Kitchen Reveal with pics (many!)

marykh
9 years ago

More pictures of our just finished kitchen. Our open floor plan is designed both maximize the view and facilitate multiple cooks and visitors. The house style is rustic modern (reclaimed wood skins the interior doors and a couple of accent walls) Astute eyes will catch that finish on insta-hot and prep faucet don't match. Cork floors in the kitchen transition to concrete in the rest of the house. Passive and active solar plus geothermal means no power bills for this all electric home!

view from a small library 3 steps up from the main floor

Looking back at the kitchen from the other direction

from the window side looking at the back of the kitchen - appliance wall, prep sink, coffee bar

coffee/tea bar

appliance garage at the coffee bar - hides toaster/vita mix/etc

Bosch flexinduction and warming drawer

from the coffee bar looking out

cork/concrete transition

Simplice faucet and Silgranite Cascade sink

Cabinet maker had to trim the drawer box to accommodate a mis-measure of the downdraft vent. He did a great job!

Comments (20)

• raenjapan
    9 years ago

I love it! It's very warm and interesting. Looks great to work in. Congrats!

• malabacat_gw
    9 years ago

Beautiful! What a great space you have!

• KarMar00
    9 years ago

Awesome! I really like the backsplash at the coffee bar.

• KayakCove
    9 years ago

Love your layout and cabinets. It looks very similar to the one we are planning. Very rich colors. Clean lines.
    Is there two islands?
    What is the room size of your kitchen and great room?

• christina222_gw
    9 years ago

Love it! It looks like such a fun kitchen to cook in and entertain in. Envious of your flex induction! I adore my induction cooktop and I bet that flex is awesome.

• cat_mom
    9 years ago

Very nice looking kitchen!

• mgmum
    9 years ago

Gorgeous! Everything looks terrific! Concrete floors everywhere other than the kitchen? How is that? Is it cold?

• wags848
    9 years ago

Very classy kitchen! I love the tiles behind your breakfast bar. Nice job!

• taggie
    9 years ago

Oh my god, I am in love. What a beautiful space. It's perfect in every way. A space I would be thrilled to move into myself and not change a single thing. The beautiful warm woods, gorgeous backsplash, detail in the rounded stair landing. I could go on and on. Your attention to detail really shows and you've created a space to give you joy and make wonderful family memories for years and years to come. Congratulations.

• Mags438
    9 years ago

A gorgeous space. I love the tile behind coffee bar!

• john_v00
    9 years ago

Elegant kitchen! So spacious and the color is cool.

• marykh
    Original Author
    9 years ago

MGMum - yes, all the other floors in the house are concrete. Fluid-filled tubes run beneath all the floors, heating the floors on winter and helping them stay cool in our hot summers of central Washington state.

MareLuce - 53 panels on our low angle roof are nearly invisible from the street or yard, but will provide about 18,000 kwh/year -- more than we'll consume. The geothermal system circulates fluid through tubing under the front yard, warming or cooling it to the constant ground temp. For heating floors or house water, the mechanical system then continues raising the temp from there. The cost of our system will be recouped in 4.5 years. But even these few months since our system was installed, the payback through our sub is 3.5 years. I think we're at a tipping point for it to go mainstream.

Kayakcove - yes two islands. There's a tv inset into the back of the sink cabinet that serves the small sitting room with the reclaimed wood wall. I don't have the plans in front of me to give you the dimensions, but I'll dig them out and post. The layout is very functional. Part of of our local tour of homes is a chef and wine night where local chefs and winemakers cook and serve in the homes. For the event this past Wednesday evening we had 160 people come through with 45 in that area of the home at one point. It really facilitated clumps of people talking around the cooking area, but leaving the chef and sous chef free to work. They both felt the layout was easy to work in and loved the cooktop to sink ease. (He wanted to take the flex induction home)

• tinker1121
    9 years ago

Very very nice!! Thanks for sharing!

• romy718
    9 years ago

I posted on your little reveal-thanks for all the additional pictures & info. I love the white countertops. What is the countertop surface at your coffee station. Beautiful backsplash. Every detail is perfect, including the tea kettle in your coffee/tea station.

• fldirt
    9 years ago

Love your whole kitchen but especially the floors! You have both that I would love to put in my home.

• marykh
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Romy718 - the countertop on the coffee bar is marmoleum ( "Clay"). with a retro metal edge that butts rip to the edge of it, so doesn't catch crumbs and such

• Linda
    9 years ago

Absolutely gorgeous! Congratulations!

• romy718
    9 years ago

Love that edge detail on the coffee bar countertop. Marmoleum, the same material used for floors?

• marykh
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yes, romy718, the same marmoleum used for floors. Very durable for a desk top or a secondary counter like this one which will get used primarily for coffee, tea, whizzing things in the vitamix, making toast. The metal edge detail references the exterior of the house which uses reclaimed metal roofing for some of the siding, ties with the metal faced cabinets above, and brings a bit more light into that dark back wall