Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
karenfromknoxville

Coffee Stain on Granite

karenfromknoxville
15 years ago

Hi,

Does anyone have a "recipe" for the poultice that would get out a coffee stain from granite kitchen counters?

Thanks so much!

Karen

Comments (12)

• karencon
    15 years ago

Hi Karen, I have had luck with blue dawn and flour. Check out this link and search poultice here on GW. There is thread that gets quite specific about different kinds of stains. I would try the least complicated first. Another thing I have found with my light granite is that sometimes the stains work themselves out over time.

Here is a link that might be useful: Stain removal

• karenfromknoxville
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi Karen,

Thank you for your response. I have some blue Dawn and some flour. Do you just make a paste and cover it with plastic and tape it down? If so, how long do you let it sit on there? Overnight?

Karen

• Buehl
    15 years ago

Here's a poultice for removing coffee from marble. I don't know if it works for granite.

http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/kitchbath/msg0502034822079.html

Here is a link that might be useful: Thread: Marble poultice

• karencon
    15 years ago

Yes....some Dawn and flour, quite thick so it can actually dry and suck up the stuff. I would leave it overnight. You could reapply as well. You might find Dawn is particulary good for oil, but there are oils in coffee aren't there?

• karencon
    15 years ago

P.S. I don't think I actually taped it down, just stuck the plastic to the misture. I think the point is that it can dry and pull on the stain.

• karenfromknoxville
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Buehl, Thank you for the marble poultice thread. It's exactly what I need!

Karencon, Thanks for your reply!

Your responses are much appreciated!

Karen

• oruboris
    15 years ago

I've just got to ask: what granite can be stained by coffee? I really don't want that one!

• karenfromknoxville
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi orubis,

My kitchen granite is Yellow River or Antique Queen. I'm not sure of the exact name but it is a light granite with earth tones (beige, rust, brown, etc.). You probably should ask one of the stone experts regarding the best stone for maintenance, stains and spills.

Karen

• oruboris
    15 years ago

Sadly, most stone salesmen I've dealt with could just as easily be selling used cars or time share condos: ask about staining and they give standard answer 1.a> 'Seal it annually, and it shouldn't be a problem.'

Mention that some granites don't really need sealing and they look at you like they are dogs and you're playing the harmonica.

Pity about the Yellow River, though: it's one of my favorites.

• karenfromknoxville
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi oruboris,

Sorry about misspelling your name in the previous post. Unfortunately, I think we have more knowledge thanks to this Forum then most of the granite/marble/stone people (with of course the exception of all those wonderful stone experts on this web site). When I asked the fabricator about lemons or anything aciditic staining, he said he never heard of such problems and all I needed to do was seal. Maybe I'm confusing the properties of marble with granite, but he didn't seem to be aware of any potential problems.

It seems staining is something that can happen regardless of sealing. Although sealing helps quite a bit (I may be wrong on this point and would certainly welcome the correction). But when I cut tomatoes, strawberries or raspberries, I'm very careful to clean up my mess immediately. Now I've learned I have to do that with coffee spills as well.

Karen

• karencon
    15 years ago

Although I commented on my experience with a poultice I feel the need to clarify. I used the poultice on my sample piece, unsealed, and once on an oil stain which was very minor. My Shivakashi (mostly white, with grays and browns)is very forgiving because of all the variation. Over 3 years, I have not had a problem with staining.... wine, food coloring, sauces, citrus etc. The food coloring I let sit, stained but also seemed to work itself out over time. Perhaps others with granites with less variation might chime in, but I think there is more worry than is warrented on this point.

Also Karen

• matthewrogers121
    12 years ago

Hi, there!!! I came here to know about latest coffee exporters in the USA, can somebody provide me information on this matter. I heard about the fluctuation coming in the coffee exporters due to market strategies by our president. I want to know if there is any other option than following this one.

Here is a link that might be useful: Coffee Exporters