Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
katesar

2" or 3" profile on shaker door

katesar
9 years ago

I'm trying to decide between 2" and 3" profile on my shaker doors. When I google it's really hard to tell what I'm looking at. Do people have pictures that they know are one or the other to help me decide? Or opinions on when and where to use the different sizes?

Thanks!

Comments (12)

• katesar
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks so much for checking. I'm leaning towards the 3" as well. We liked the 3" in the show room but then we got home and measured ours at home and they were 2" so it made us second guess our decision.

Also, we have two 9" upper cabinets and we're wondering if they're going to look odd with the thicker profile. I kind of want to do those two 9" ones in slab and the rest in shaker. I feel like it'd kind of match how the drawers work with the top being slab and the bottom ones being shaker. But I'm not sure!

• joyce_6333
    9 years ago

Ours are 3".

• joyce_6333
    9 years ago

And a pic of the drawers.

• Texas_Gem
    9 years ago

I just measured and all of mine are 2.5". I chose to have all drawers shaker instead of having slab front for the top drawer.

Here are some uppers

And here is a bank of drawers

• badgergal
    9 years ago

Both my stiles and rails are 2-1/4 inches. They look fine too me. If you have to pay more for the 3 inch stiles and rails I would just stay with the 2 inch ones and spend the money on something else.

Overall view:

Close up:

Another close up

• akl_vdb
    9 years ago

Ours are 2 and 5/8

• vdinli
    9 years ago

Ours are 2 1/4 and exactly what I wanted. The 3" or larger ones looked more traditional to me and I didn't want to go that route. YMMV.

• blfenton
    9 years ago

Mine are 2 1/4" because I didn't want that "squishy" looking drawer that one often sees on the top of a stack. And as noted they seem a little more traditional which I didn't want/

• jakuvall
    9 years ago

2-1/4" minimum, 2-3/4 more transitional, 3 to 3-1/4" max most contemporary.
    Many mfg will reduce the rail height on shorter drawers to avoid squish.

• ci_lantro
    9 years ago

We went with Barker Cabinets and there was no option for any other size.

DCward...That might have been the case when you bought your doors. But NOW, Barker Doors offers eight different options for rail & stile widths in their Shaker door line....from 1 7/8" to 3 1/2". I was just pricing some doors a couple of weeks ago. I want the 3" and several of the other places that I checked didn't offer that size option but Barker does. Just tossing that info into the discussion in case someone is looking for other size options--to not rule out Barker as a contender. Oh, also Barker has a custom option (at a significant upcharge) that might be useful to know if someone is trying to match some existing cabs.

To OP...I prefer the 3" rail & stile, obviously. :) Sets them apart from the builder grade/ unfinished cash & carry Shakeresque stuff from the Big Boxes. And, if the drawer isn't larger enough to handle equal rail & stile widths, I would opt for slab fronts on those more narrow drawers.

• dcward89
    9 years ago

ci_lantro...thanks for correcting my outdated information. We just bought ours earlier this year and they didn't have that option then. Glad to see them expanding their product line as they are an excellent company and product.

Sponsored
J.Holderby - Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Leading General Contractors - 2X Best of Houzz!