Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
amspinn

custom cabinet guy on Eastern Long Island

Ann Marie Spinner
11 years ago

Just wondering if anyone has a recommendation for a cabinet guy on eastern Long Island NY. Prices are pretty high out here and I welcome any suggestions.

Comments (10)

• cabmanct
    11 years ago

You could check out the Cabinet Makers Association's website.
    They have a list of members that you can search for in your area.

Here is a link that might be useful: CMA

• Ann Marie Spinner
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for the info. I will look into that. I was just wondering if anyone here used someone they could actually recommend, or a shop they used and were happy with.Wish there were some Amish cabinet makers here!

• dilly_ny
    11 years ago

I live in Nassau and I was very thorough in my search for cabinets. Long Island prices tend to be obscene, but as a resident, I am sure you already know that drill. The only place I visited out east was Perimeters in the hamptons. They sell a variety of stock and semi-custom cabinetry, but I was not impressed with their pricing or designer.

For custom cabs, I visited Nassau Woodworks in Great Neck who had lovely cabinets but were so disorganized and took so long to get me information concerning price that I would not consider them. I also visited a custom shop in the Farmingdale area, a real old school type of shop on a side street. I saw some beautiful work in process cabinets, but they didn't have too many displays or anything to entice you to order unless you knew of someone who used them.

For semi custom, I would say that Artistic on 347 has some great semi-custom cabinets and they have good designers and showroom too. Ken Kelly kitchens in Nassau County is known for their designs but they sell mostly Woodmode cabinets. Lakeville Industries in Farmingdale area has a great showroom and carries a wide range of semi-custom. North Shore Cabinetry in Plainview had a good design team and several semi-custom brands, but also priced on the high side.

In the end, I was discouraged with LI kitchen retailers and I ordered my cabinets directly from a small factory in Pennsylvania, fully custom and installed for about half the cost quoted by the shops listed above. It was alot of work on my part, but I feel it was worth it.

Here is a link that might be useful: Ken Kelly Kitchens

• Ann Marie Spinner
    Original Author
    11 years ago

dilly ny- I already went to Perimeters in Riverhead and I wasn't thrilled with the guy there either. Where did you get your cabinets in Pa? I may consider doing that myself. Did they actually design your kitchen? I plan on replacing my cabinets. Right now I have builder grade stock ones. I basically am staying with the same layout, but want the drawers instead of pull-outs, and a better grade of cabinets. Did he come to your house for measurements etc? Did you get granite? I am looking in to that too. I know you are in Nassau but if they were good... Thanks for your help! And anyone else's help!!

• jw34
    11 years ago

Ron Morizzo (Cutchogue, North Fork) did a nice, though quite expensive, job on my kitchen. He's a dealer for a number of different cabinet lines. He has a very small showroom in Cutchogue. Cabinets came to almost 50% of the total and I didn't do anything particularly fancy. Not a bargain, but competent, which is more than you sometimes get, sadly.

Here is a link that might be useful: North Fork Designer Kitchen & Baths, Long Island, NY

• wdwsue
    11 years ago

Dynamic kitchens and furniture in Copiague,NY
    dynamickitchenfurniture.com

• dilly_ny
    11 years ago

I got my cabinets at Blue Mountain Woodwork located in Bath, PA. It was recommended to me by a Garden Webber. I made several trips to their showroom to discuss design and try to decide on finishes. I measured with my Long Island contractor. Blue Mtn came here and installed all (but they were not keen on the travel). Patti at Blue Mtn designed it and sent me plans via email.

I went to all the granite yards in Farmingdale, but in the end I went with my contractors recommendation and got the granite at Cosmo tile in Locust Valley.

You might also consider or at least get a quick quote from Crownpoint Cabinetry located somewhere up North, but they go everywhere as I understand it. A quick quote is when you pick the door style and finish for your cabinets (based on their web site and wood samples they will send you) and you provide them with your measurements via email. They will then give you a rough idea of how much it will cost to do the cabinets you picked in your space. They do alot via phone and they have a great reputation. Pricey of course, but I was impressed with their service even though they were out of my price range.

• Ann Marie Spinner
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks so much for the input. I will have to look into all that. As you know nothing is ever easy. I think Crownpoint is over my budget too. But I guess I can get a quote anyway. I am still in the very beginning stage- no one has been here to measure etc. I can measure my own just to get a ball park.

• millworkman
    11 years ago

cookingbuff, send me an email at my address about this please.

• bbtondo
    11 years ago

I used Perimeters in Riverhead at Riverhead Building Supply and choose Medallion cabinets. My GC installed them and did all the work. I LOVE my cabinets and was very happy with Perimeters.

Barb

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH