Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Please review my latest plan - thanks!

Posted by rjl443 (My Page) on
Mon, Sep 10, 12 at 14:35

Hi -

Here is my latest update with a little help from the KD. We decided to just meet her and if we didn't think we would work well together just not use her. She ended up being very knowledgeable and easy to work with. Here is where we are with our idea.

We are thinking of taking off the wall of cabinets on the DR wall and making that a half-wall with a wooden countertop/seating area instead. With wainscoat below and around the DR. Then looking at adding other DR storage down the road instead of just extending our kitchen cabinets into there.

Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Please review my latest plan - thanks!

Bump.

o
RE: Please review my latest plan - thanks!

I tried 2 dishwashers in separate areas once before and didn't like it. I much prefer what I have now, which is one on each side of the main sink. Especially in your case, where the cleanup area isn't that far from the prep area.

I could never have a cleanup sink on a 24" deep island with no wall or extended counter behind. With the water that gets behind the faucet and the splashes on my window, I can only imagine how messy and slippery the traffic path behind that sink will be!

These seems quite long and spread out. You might have room for a deeper island in the center of things, because your aisle in front of the stove seems, perhaps, roomier than you might need. I'd prefer to have the cleanup area at the end (hopefully with some dish storage room, which I really don't see anywhere), and use a slightly deeper island for prep across from the stove. I'd then end the island with the stove run or maybe the snack area, and not have it extend oddly in front of the window seat.

OR
I might want to swap the left sink and stove, to tighten the work area, and further separate the cooking and cleanup zones, still using a deeper island for prep. Still shortening the island.

I would want to do a 90-degree front corner cabinet instead of the diagonal front base cabinet that is shown, because it intrudes on your floor space and creates an unnecessarily deep corner. With the 90-degree front, you get a wider opening to access the interior, and longer runs of cabinet edge on both adjacent runs. Plus, you'll be able to reach the wall cabinet better.

o
which works better - other ideas?

Photobucket

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here