Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What does this pendant say to you?

Posted by breezygirl (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 25, 11 at 14:35

It's time to pick light fixtures! I've got space above my peninsula for two pendants no larger than 8" in diameter. I've looked at so many fixtures over so many months that I'm not sure I have a clear favorite.

DH really likes these of the few I've shown him. I can't decide how I feel about them. I like them, but I like some others better, including one on sale right now for $49. The one below is about $250 each.

I'm purposely asking my question without telling you, if you don't already know, what style I'm going for so I can focus on what this pendant says. What style do you think this fixture coveys? Modern? Funky? Trendy? Cheap? Fussy?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What does this pendant say to you?

Not cheap, or fussy. But I would agree with modern funky. They are interesting to look at, too. Do you think you would tire of them too quickly?

o

Glad to know they don't look cheap or fussy. They are interesting. I don't think I'm afraid I'd tired of them. I just had some faves picked out a long time ago. I'm not sure I want to give them up.

Here's one I love. Mercury glass. I haven't pulled the trigger as they are super expensive. $480 each!!

Here's a really inexpensive one I found this week. I like it also as it's reminiscent of the ubiquitous Benson pendant style that's sooooo popular now. While I love the Benson, I would like to do something different. This one is cheap at $49 each!

o

The first one posted is awesome. It says happy to me.

o

It kind of looks like a silver beehive. But not in a bad way.

I would be concerned about the shadows it would cast unless there is a lot of other light for infill.

Photobucket

o

Techmom_1 put those mercury glass pendants in. Stunning.

The first says funky to me, then modern. I presume it doesn't cast linear shadows.

Here is a link that might be useful: Techmom_1's pendants

o

Dianalo--Happy is good. A happy DH is good, too. :)

Palimpsest--Excellent point. Thank you. And a good argument to present to DH if I decide on something else.

Pudgy--Yes! It was Techmom! I couldn't remember the member who used them. That's how I found the Argentos. I really, really like those. To me, they are vintagey, beautiful, interesting, and would provide a needed curvy element in my kitchen. For the most part, I like cleaner, modern lines. They would be a big splurge. Yet another one....

o

Without reading the other responses, I would say it's modern/contemporary.... (I know those words aren't interchangeable ..... but I mean it's.... futuristic-looking.)

o

To me it says, "Have fun cleaning me!"

It's a cool looking fixture. Modern and retro at the same time. I like the comparison to a chrome beehive!

o

To me it says modern/funky. But I agree with idrive65..."have fun cleaning me!" LOL!

o

I would say clean, modern, funky, and supershiny. If Judy Jetson decided to become a beekeeper...well, there you go. I like them!

The Argentos are beautiful. I also love the squattier version, which I'm sure you have seen. Here is a pic since this post will probably evolve (or devolve) into a "gorgeous pendants" thread.

a href="http://photobucket.com" target="_blank">Photobucket

o

I didn't read the other responses, but the very first thing I thought was "I'm glad I won't have to clean that pendant!" A pain to dust.

o

Love the first pendant. It says modern and funky to me. What is the light source inside? Would you post a link to this one?

o

Lolauren--You found the word I was searching for--futuristic. That's what I don't like about them.

Idrive, Mercy, and Editionk--Thanks for pointing out the cleaning issue. I'm usually the first to recognize a dust catcher. Another reason not to choose that one.

Shanghai--I have seen, and drooled, over the other Argento. If only I had enough room for the squattier version. ((sigh)) 8' is the maximum size for which I have room.

Chaparral--It's a 100 watt bulb, but you'd have to use clear ones to make it look like the pic. Notice that Laurie Smith from Trading Spaces fame is the designer for this Quiozel fixture.

Here is a link that might be useful: Century Silver pendant

o

I REALLY like the first one, but my taste does bend towards futuristic, modern and slightly Jetson. I do agree they would be a PITA to clean, though.
The mercury glass ones are really beautiful-modern with just a hint of "i'm timeless at the same time" thrown in.
Without seeing your kitchen, hard to say if I like the simplicity of the 3rd choice. If you want to call little to no attention to the pendants, choose that one. If you want them to have a voice in the design, choose something else.

o

Being frugal I'd go with the 49.00 one It looks good and you like it so why not?

o

For me, the glare of the light bulb would put this on the "no" list. Depends on how sensitive you are to it. Other than that, I kind of like it, and I'm usually not much for modern style.

o
In context with details

So let's talk specifics now with the context of my actual kitcen elements. I'm going for clean, simple, elegant, modern-ish yet vintage-y with a twist.

Here's my layout. Notice the pendants over the peninsula will be seen from the kitchen and the dining room.
Plan B 30 in. standard fridge, 3 windows 2-27-11

Here's a close but NOT EXACT rendering:
Kitchen view 6-23-11

Just after drywall hanging looking towards the kitchen. The cubby to the left of the pantry is for the fridge and the peninsula will come out from there.

pantry walls with drywall

The peninsula will look like this from the DR.
DR wall 6-14-11

DR table (antique oak, a vintage-y element):
Dining Room Table

My cabinets:
Cab arrival, rangetop
Cab arrival, island

My perimeter and peninsula countertops:
Carrara slabs side by side

Range hood between the windows:
Rangecraft hood 2

My faucets (modern element):
Hansgrohe faucet with Blanco soap

With all of that, do you like....

Pendant A at $250

Pendant B at $480 (ouch)

Or neither?

o

From your replies on here, I don't think Pendant A would make you happy!

Have you looked a lot for pendants? I like the mercury glass ones, but they are definitely expensive...

o

I really like the first one

o

Bahacca--Your description of the mercury glass pendants is exactly what I want.
-------
"beautiful-modern with just a hint of I'm timeless at the same time thrown in"

Lady--The $49 price tag is one of the reasons I like them. Still...I've been wanting the Argento mercury glass ones for soooo long. I could always buy two of the cheap one for $100 and wait a year to get the Argentos.

Anna--Another good reason not to pick the first pendant.

Lauren--Oouuhhh. You're right. Pendant A would not make me happy. I wouldn't be UN-happy, just not over the moon each time I saw them. I've been looking for over a year, but mostly when I was stuck trying to determine another element for the kitchen. Looking at light fixtures was like a distracting treat. And a stall tactic. ;) Picking my marble and the range hood helped eliminate dozens of pendants that were too modern, boring or foofy.

o

Hi breezy, given what you said about your desired style (and in particular seeing your dining table and your mention of "vintage with a twist") I say no to pendant A. The light pattern they cast would also be very modern (and eye catching,) which is great IF that is what you want, but I'm not hearing you want these pendants (which you are ambivalent about) to be your "star"...

I think pendant B strikes a good "transitional" modern/but could look vintage-y note, which I think would be a great complement to your streamlined/modern choice in faucet and hood.

Have you shopped other mercury glass pendants? I saw these (link below)--they fit your size requirements and they're under $60. Pottery Barn has some too, but I don't know if they'd be too large.

Did I miss it--are these the only fixtures in this open kitchen/dining space (no dining chandy to coordinate with or anything?) That is actually pretty freeing to get something special for this spot.

What do you see as "the stars" of your kitchen? Do you want these lights to be one of them? Or would you rather have them "disappear" and allow other favorite features (maybe your counters? your hood? etc) to catch your eye.

I frequently post about this, but that was a lesson for me in my own remodel: everything doesn't need to be a star/"my favorite." Out shopping for things I need I'd find "stars"/the best in everything and then I realized I needed to decide what was important to me and plan the design (and order the budget) accordingly. :)

Here is a link that might be useful: Mercury pendant

o

I'm sitting here smiling. Those pendants are complete opposites of each other. Entirely different. Why do you think you love them both....differently?

I was seeing a "modern vintage" look in your kitchen but I am not sure now after seeing the pendant choices. What kind of lighting fixture is going over the dining room table?

You seem like you are finally starting to have some fun with this reno!!! I am happy for you!

o

So how is your budget coming overall? If the pendants you REALLY love won't break that budget, I'd get them. Spending $100 to get something you don't LOVE and every time you look at them you will think "I wish i had the mercury glass ones" isn't worth the money saved. My husband thinks I'm crazy looking at stuff 5 months before we will do much to our kitchen, but I want to be sure I LOVE all of the elements and that they are in the budget. I know things I'm willing to sacrifice on(a sink-I don't need a $1000 sink)and things that, if I fall in love, I will not surrender to the "but there is cheaper" logic(backsplash for me). If these lights have been on your dream list for "sooooooo long", then treat yourself to them--just call them an early holiday/birthday gift and every time you look at them, they will remind you of a little gift you gave yourself:-)

o

Breezy, I haven't seen you post with all your materials together and they are FABULOUS!!! The countertops ooh la la!

The pendant (A) I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE for our remodel but I'm not so sure for yours. It seems more ultra modern, then something you would add to give it a modern touch. I personally think the shadows it cast could be quite interesting. Where did you find it?

The $49 looks the best IMO in your kitchen. Slightly modern. Where did you find that one. I haven't even started seriously looking for pendants, so I'd like to know the better sites (selection & price) to look.

It's exciting to watch your kitchen unfold.

o

Hi Breezygirl:

I wanted to supply you with some information that I found very helpful for me. Originally, when I purchased my pendants, I bought mine through light & leisure.com, and I found very fancy, elegant pendants for a great price. Then, when the electricians came, saw them, and were ready to install, the elections said "NO WAY!" I know you have kids like me, young at that.

The electricians told me that they had to change countless pendants that hang down on the metal rod because usually a child in the house throws something, or hits it, and the metal rod gets damaged, and then the pendant is broken.

My electricians told me to get pendants on the cable, not the rod, because they can get hit, and not be damaged.

When I went back to the lighting store, the manager told me of a GREAT company called Tec Lighting. They have beautiful choices, with lots of variety. I needed the length of something 60" or more for the pendant cable. The pendants I chose were pricey ($350 each), but they are LEDs and they are great, great lighting. Check out this company.

You've been so helpful to others. I thought I'd share with you what I have learned.

Hope that helps

Mrs Hanson

o
Other lighting

I forgot to mention the other lighting in the area.

The dining room has been wired for a single chandy over the table and for wall sconces on either side of the french doors. I haven't picked fixtures there. I only know that I don't want a fussy, formal chandy and that I like drum shades. I'd like the chandy to provide a contrast from the more formal look of the DR table. I've seen a few I like, but wanted to pick the pendants first and then go from there.

The family room will only have two can lights with the remainder being lamps.

The kitchen has can lights over the perimeter and cleanup sink. The island is set up for 3 flush mount fixtures. (Since the island is my main work area and will be open to the family room and because my ceilings are short, I didn't want pendants hanging in my face. I annoy easily.)

The woman at the lighting store who helped me with my plan helped me choose these, but I am in no way married to them. I like them insofar as they are interesting, but minimal. They don't need to call attention to themselves.

Satin nickel. Not purchased yet.

Does that ceiling fixture in satin nickel (comes in polished nickel also) work with the Argento mercury glass pendant?

I think it does, but maybe I like the Argento so much that my view is tainted.

o

that first one says - totally cool!!!!!!

glad to see you getting closer!!!

o

I think the lines of both of them are complementary of each other.

o

This pendant keeps me interested, but it's totally different than what I thought I wanted. It's only 5" wide. Thoughts?

Lumino Comet Tiffany pendant

The ceiling fixture over the island could be done in ORB to coordinate better with this pendant.

o
Yet another

This is another pendant I like. I'm noticing a trend with my pendant tastes--kinda funky fixtures.

Ballard Designs Petite Wesport

o

Are you saying 3 of those flush mounts over the island? One flush mount can be unobtrusive, but 3? Maybe I misunderstood.

As far as the pendants, I don't see the beehive with your kitchen. Ignoring the flush mount issue for the moment, either of the others could work, but if the color block in the dining room is a paint treatment in the works, I don't see the mercury glass with that. That leaves the $49 of those three. Different paint? Maybe, but I like the proportion of the shorter one.

Not being very helpful this evening, I know. Sorry, but I think I'd keep looking.

o

You were busy while I was typing and being distracted. I can see the Tiffany or the Wesport. If that is going to be your paint treatment in the dining room, the Wesport might be a better choice, but I still don't like 3 flush mounts. Draw those in or do some cut and paste on a copy of your plan and see what you think.

o

I agree that 3 flushmounts would not be ..... pretty. I do love your choice above, as far as flushmounts go, but they still wouldn't shine as a trio. Do you have any can lighting in the kitchen? Perhaps just doing can lighting over the island would work? That is what we have...... I didn't want pendants because I didn't want something in my face either.....

o

The first pendant only makes me think of how hard it would be to clean.

Having a mix of cans, flushmounts and pendants over the island might be a little busy.

Link below is for a type of fixture, not the specific fixture.

Here is a link that might be useful: linear fluorescent

o

I would also recommend getting a pendant on a cord rather than a rod. Two things that I have noticed with rods is getting knocked out of kilter as someone above mentioned, but not only with kids, even cleaning them. And it is hard to keep them plumb in every direction: they may look plumb looking north to south but still be crooked east to west.

The other thing I where I have had problems with rods is if either the junction box or the drywall is not completely level or parallel with the floor (which seems to be often) and then the fixture does not screw into the mounts and hang perfectly perpendicular if the canopy is snugged tightly against the ceiling. I have had to bend the rods slighly to get them to go straight down.

o

I assume you've searched for other mercury glass pendants that are less expensive? Those are very expensive....higher in price than many of the pendants on Circa lighting and their stuff is pretty expensive!

Do you like the clear glass globes that West Elm or Pottery Barn carry?

The first choice you posted reads too futuristic to me based on your other elements, which are beautiful! The mercury glass gives a hip vibe to a classic look, in my opinion. It just mixes it up a bit. I think the other polished nickel pendant that you posted would also be classic and beautiful; can't go wrong with it. The reason so many kitchens and designers use that style is because it works.

We recently installed clear glass pendants over the island and the glare isn't an issue as long as they are high enough ( in our case about 38" over the island top).

o

The first pendant you posted my immediate reaction was, "WOW! That's really interesting!" (in a good way) But my mind first wandered to the shadow issue (although that could be cool in certain spaces too) then the dust issue. Wasn't sure how to describe it other than modern, but then someone said futuristic - a better fit. The second pendant made me think "updated Victorian." The 3rd pendant looked -- honestly, the first word that came to mind was "typical" before I even read your description. That's not necessarily bad, I think there is a reason that style is popular right now. The 4th one all I could think was "not my taste" and the 5th one I like the shape, but immediately thought of glare from a clear bulb as shown in the picture - much more so than the beehive one you started with.

The Benson style is actually my favorite after being reminded of the other items in your space. It just seems like it would fit well with all the other elements, especially the hood, and the price would definitely sway me.

What is the fireplace surround going to look like? Modern, more traditional? That is a huge element in the space, and I would think other things need to coordinate with its vibe more than anything else.

o

Littlesmokie--Thanks for the link. I saw those when someone else was looking for pendants last year. Unfortunately, the one I like is out of stock. The PB is too wide. There aren't a whole lot of small mercury glass pendants out there that I remotely like.

I do see the pendants as a star of the kitchen. That and the hood. The backsplash is yet to be determined, but I want something special and unique there. I don't see the marble as being a star. To me, it'll fade away.

Traceee--I don't love the first pendant. I like it because it's different but DH really likes it. I love the Argento mercury glass!

Bahacca--We're over budget now so I hesitate with the expensive fixtures. I already used the "early holiday/birthday gift" trick to get the expensive tile for the master bathroom!

Aloha--Thanks!! I posted a link above to the first ones--the modern ones that would work in your kitchen. It'd be great to see someone use them! The cheaper, third one is for sale currently on One Kings Lane. The sale ends tomorrow morning at 8:00a.m. That's what prompted me to finally post about my lights. Either I buy the little Naples pendants now or forget about them. I'll post a link to the site. In case you don't know about One Kings Lane, it's a cool shopping site where they rotate in different designers/manufacturers to sell all kinds of different items for a limited time.
https://www.onekingslane.com/product/11872/465396

Mrs.Hanson--Thanks for the compliment and the info. I never would have thought about the rodded pendants like that. I'll check out Tech Lighting.

Celine--LOL! Thanks, friend!

Lascatx--You always keep me on the straight and narrow. ;)
The paint treatment was left from the previous breakfast. I featured my DS's artwork there. It has now been primed over awaiting another color choice.

Yes, I have three flush mounts over the island. Here's the lighting plan.

lighting plan 6-27-11

The original plan called for can lights over the island. I REALLY didn't want ceiling swiss cheese from so many cans so the designer suggested flush mounts. The ceiling has been wired for them already. Perimeter cans are also in.

Here is a link that might be useful: One Kings Lane

o

To me it says, "I like light bulbs, but I don't trust them".

It also says "She's the kind of gal who will be stockpiling incandescent bulbs before they're banned!"

I kinda like it though.

But I prefer the $$$$$ ones.

o

Fori--ROTFL!!

So the original, so-called beehive one is out of consideration.

I don't have to make the decision now necessarily other than the fact that I can only buy the Naples pendant from One Kings Lane until tomorrow morning. And it's cheap.

If some of you had screamed "love it" over that one, then I'd get it now. Otherwise, I'll wait until the cabs, marble, and hood are in to get a feel for the space IRL.

Tonight I'll toss and turn over the possible mistake of three ceiling fixtures above the island.....

o

Hi breezy,

The hating can lights/"swiss cheese" ceiling--I am 100% with you on that. And, I, too annoy easily ;) and did not want pendants hanging down in my face prepping at the island. I hate hate hate cans, but I went with cans over the island, and it was totally the right decision.

I think most folks would expect to see "star" pendants above an island, because the island is somewhat of a natural focal point. I'd say having cans at the island will just help support those pendants at the pennisula functioning as stars. Additionally, it will probably save you hundreds of dollars to do cans there and not buy a trio of fixtures you don't care about (I mean if you need good light, but not necessarily a "focal point" out of them) that gives you the extra cash to buy the argento pendants you love for the pennisula. :)

That said, now understanding that there are several other fixtures in these spaces--if it were me--I'd have a better sense of what lights I wanted to use in all the spaces before pulling the trigger on the expensive pendants.

I bought, exchanged/returned so many fixtures trying to coordinate a LR chandy/2 LR sconces/and 3 kitchen fixtures. In the end, I did not even end up even using my very favorite fixture because despite obsessively searching the entire world wide web, I couldn't find things I liked well enough that coordinated with it. The whole was bigger than the sum of the parts.

o

I don't understand the dust comments about the first fixture. There is a thin edge on the top of each ring that might collect dust... As for the mercury pendants, there are several "levels" including the bell curve that would hold dust and my first thought was how I could I clean that thoroughly without damaging the finish?

My biggest question is how many elements in the kitchen has dh "picked" (aka gotten his way on). I know our kitchen was almost entirely my choices. Even when he pitched in, it was to have an opinion between choice a and choice b if I was stuck. When he voiced an opinion on one element, I remember thinking "whoa, I do all the searching and you get to pick?" but the more I thought about it, it is his home too and should reflect his wishes as well. I had a good run of making all the choices (even if he thinks he did it with me on some of them, lol) and that I should defer to him on this one. It became real important with the one thing he disagreed on later and there was no way to compromise. I told the fabricator where to put the hole for our master bath faucet (offset) and he came home and thought they screwed up. I discussed so much with him that I could see the eye glaze a mile away yet the one thing that did not occur to me, and that he actually cared about, got done totally against what he'd have chosen. At that point, it was really good he had felt he chose something else at some point. YMMV

o

I like the Tiffany and the Westport. Elegant, timeless, but maybe a bit too safe and not make the statement you are seeking. Love the first one, but concur with the issues pointed out. Are you averse to something with color?

o

I know that my opinion will not make a difference, but I really like the looks of Lumino Comet Tiffany for your home.

o

What does this pendant say ?

Honey Serving Utensil. Honey Dipper. (see google images).

Turning that shape into a pendant is a good idea. It is good for a kitchen. Some people will laugh when they see the connection. Most will. My prediction.

o

i immediately thought honey dipper. and yes, i like it for a kitchen. i don't know if i like it for your kitchen or not. it looks small compared to your space -but i like to go bigger on fixtures so that's just me.

don't mean to confuse you; i just wanted to poke my nose in and say hello! i'm looking forward to seeing your finish. sorry i'm no help this time!

o

I LOVE the Mercury glass one! That is my favorite for sure, quite different than what is out there right now, and just has great patina.

o

The Lumino appeals the most in your space. I'd have to think longer, and have my coffee, to figure out why, but what I suspect is that it has the right combination of referents and tones for your space--if I interpret the rendering correctly. I like the beehive, but I think it will be too much of a statement in a direction that is not your first choice. I like the mercury (both versions), but I think they are too "vintage" for your vision, as you describe it. I only skimmed the other posts. Sorry, if this is a repetition.

o

I think the mercury glass one that you love is the best choice for your kitchen! You have absolutely gorgeous materials and a streamlined hood...I think the mercury glass would be the perfect (to use an over-used cliche) jewelry for your kitchen! I think they would make you so happy and would be a real show-stopper. Any other holidays coming up? Do you get gifts for Arbor Day or Halloween? :)

o

I immediately thought of the honey dipper thing too. Not that I actually know what your kitchen looks like, but in keeping up with the threads, I feel like I know it a little bit:)
This isn't what I was visualizing. I really love the mercury glass ones...Unfortunately, I learned on our project that I have expensive taste. It only turned out ok because DH's tastes were more expensive so I always looked like I had cheaper taste :)

o

What does it say to me...headache. I would not like the first one, just because that darn bulb would be glaring out at me, through the metal. Whatever light you choose, please think about people sitting at the table, eating dinner and not wanting bare bulbs and the resulting glare. Just my two cents :)

o

Calling you.

o

I'm in the minority here, because to me the mercury glass says (too) vintage and fussy/dressy...But that's just an opinion, as it's just not my cup of tea.

I like the honey server one (has cool lines, a sleek look and finish that says it offers a contemporary twist on a more classic shape), and don't understand why sweeping it with a feather duster or something wouldn't take care of cleaning it, and possibly easier than something solid.

The $49 one is attractive and sharp looking, but do you care that light will only come out the bottom because the shade is so solid? That's one reason I like the honey server one... it lets light out as well as down.

I think the Tiffany will look too small, and I like the funky fun of the Westport...but not sure it's the clean-lined, more contemporary look I'd imagined your space to be.

It's all opinion. This is also, and not a moral judgment at all...But I couldn't spend $500 (or even $250) on a single light fixture. There are SO many choices out there, and so many things on which to spend that kind of money. Will it mean that much to you, and you'll love it every second? If so, maybe it's worth it to you. I like my light fixtures, but they don't make that much impact on my life...But maybe that's because they're not special enough. ;-) If these comments are off-topic or inappropriate to say, I apologize. It's just something I always have to weigh in every decision.

o

I agree with rhome about the mercury glass fixture being too fussy/dressy, and I also prefer the honey server one for your space. To me, the mercury glass ones would say you were trying too hard, if that makes sense.

o

Breezy- Sarah Richardson seems to visit vintage lighting shops a lot...and finds some great pendants. Being near Seattle, have you looked much for vintage lighting? You only need two pendants and you might find something really special, for a better price. For her farmhouse remodel on HGTV, she found some X-ray lights that she used in the kitchen. They looked great and provided lots of character. I think she used some vintage fixtures in the upstairs bath, too :)

o

I like the first pendant. But what I really would like to know is who made your hood? That's along the lines of what I'm looking for. Thanks and good luck with your lighting search!

o

I'll keep my opinion of mercury glass to myself.

I do like the tiffany lamp for your space when seeing everything else that you have chosen. If you are going with a drum light for the DR I think the two shapes could work well together. The tiffany to me anyway, says simple and elegant. But I should tell you that I just love simple tiffany lamps. I like the perceived craftsmanship, the shapes, the idea of the times that they hearken back to.

I really do not like the flushmount for your space. There is nothing attractive about them - they look very chunky and I envision your space a little more feminine than that. How about a semi-flush instead. There are more variety of designs and heights available in a semi-flush and they won't appear to be plastered against the ceiling.

I remember you mentioning one time about you being a "simple black cocktail dress with pearls" kinda girl and wanting a kitchen to emulate that. Not seeing it in the lighting so far and that's a great place for some jewelery.

o

I think it is saying, "Keep looking"....that is unless you are going for funky modern and I don't that is the style of your kitchen pic. I agree that it looks like the little thingy that you can dip honey with LOL.

o

Love the pendant.....to me it says retro modern. Would look fun in your kitten.....but....I prefer lumina comet....a touch of Audrey Hepburn!

o

OMGx2!
get the mercury pendants and never look back.
it is just gorgeous. like the other one, too-- a great '60s vibe to me-- but may be too busy for that kitchen??

i absolutely love the mercury pendant. hey-- do they make anything in the family suitable for over a dining table?? (for me, of course!)

o

I've never posted to this forum before but have lurked for some time as we are currently building our new home. Of the pendants you posted I lean more toward the traditional familiar lines of the other fixtures not the metal beehive. Now let me indulge in a bit of hypocrisy.

I just wanted to put forth an alternative beehive I came across and purchased for my laundry. So I do like beehives just not your beehive (sorry). I was originally going to use a basic but classic schoolhouse. Until I looked up in a local lighting shop and 'aaaaaahhhhhhhh' (that was a choir of angels FYI not a cry of pain) saw it. It occurred to me that it looked like a classic ie. a bell jar/schoolhouse - tri-chain suspension, milky glass, metal chain and canopy, but funkdafied. It comes in a variety of glass and metal finishes. Also (as these things go, synchronicity) saw it a couple of days ago, by chance, in a back issue of 'renovation style' magazine hanging over a kitchen island and had my impulse purchase validated by how attractive it looked.

The size might not be appropriate for you, but worth a look anyway to explore the style.

Here is a link that might be useful: Beehive

o

I found this pendant and really love it! I wonder how 2 of these would look over a 9' island?

Here is a link that might be useful: Solaris mini pendant

o

Breezy I have to second Dianolo's mention of DH's preference. I too 'had my way' all through the remodel and gave in only when it came to the oak floor stain. I wanted dark and he wanted light. Kind of wanted to kick him about it, but realized that he deserved some meaningful input. So honestly I kind of like the honey dippers though I'd prefer the mercury glass and vote that you give in if he really, really likes honey!

o

Cmm--I have searched for other mercury glass pendants, but not for several months.

Controlfreakecs--I also like the RH Benson pendant. I feel like it's been a bit overused now because of its popularity. I know it *would* be very nice with my other elements. The fireplace will be tiled on both sides up to a traditional mantle with drywall above. I like modern in that I like cleaner and simpler lines, but I'm drawn to more traditional styling and vintage items. If that makes sense. :)

Littlesmokie--I'm not going to buy anything until I'm sure of what I'm doing for all the fixtures.

Dianalo--DH really doesn't much care about much of the finishings, except that he really wanted a certain front door when I wanted a simpler one. He felt strongly about that so I bought his choice. It was something I could live with as it won't in my constant visual field like the pendants will be. If I make a case for a different pendant that I want, he'll tell me to do what I want.

Tilenut--I'm not adverse to a tiny amount of color, but I'm going for an overall more neutral, textured room with whites and grays. I would like to use small amounts of oranges and greens somehow for contrast.

Kellie--Thanks for the Lumino vote. Since I'm your cousin I can say this about your opinion mattering. Shut. Up.

Davidro--LOL! I missed that somehow!

Kate--Always glad to have you poke in. I wish I could go with bigger fixtures over the peninsula, but unfortunately I only have about 45" of peninsula. (The graph drawing above is an older version.) I'm looking forward to *your* finished kitchen also!

Laura, Kitchendetective, Briana, Sas, Phoggie, Joanie--Thanks for weighing in.

Nini--Maybe I can convince DH that he usually buys me Columbus Day gift? ;)

Rhome--I always value your input as you've been so valuable for so long in planning my kitchen. You're comments weren't inappropriate.

Lavender--Glare noted. Good idea to look for vintage. As mentioned, I don't want to do what would be typical there. Road trip!

Parachuting--The hood is made by Rangecraft. They make custom, to-order hoods. Mine was from their clearance page where they list items about which customers changed their minds. It was good luck to find it as I haven't seen anything as pretty there since I bought mine. I'll link below.

Blfenton--Normally I don't like Tiffany lamps because they seem too busy and colorful. The restrained, elegant color pattern of the Lumino caught my eye. I chose flushmounts for the island instead of semi-flush as I didn't want the fixtures to compete with the pendants. I thought that if the island lights hugged the ceiling they would be less noticable. Any suggestions for what you see there?

Kawh--The mercury glass fixtures are by Corbett Lighting. I didn't see anything else that looked more like a traditional chandy, but I don't rememeber.

Girlville--Thanks for taking the time to post. That fixture is too large for my space. I do like it though. I'm not sure I could find one small enough in that style.

Mercy--I think those are too small to put two over a 9' island.

Stannley--I think DH would look at the fixture differently once I tell him about the shadow pattern and glare. Still, I don't think he feels so strongly about the honey dipper to veto me if I prefer another.

Here is a link that might be useful: Rangecraft hoods clearance page

o

I could have pushed through my preference for the counter when dh suggested the Corian, but I saw the way his face lit up and knew he really liked it. I decided to think about it a bit and see how I felt after living with the sample a little. It was very nice, but it felt like it was displacing my prior choice too quickly (which we had both been psyched about). I just saw that he really liked the new choice and would have hated to shoot that down. He had much less interest overall in picking, so I felt it would be fair to defer. I do love what we have but occasionally wish I could have seen the other done in person so I could choose side by side. Usually, I look at the counters and like how I was more generous than my initial instinct was. They are also nice, so that helps, lol....

o

Did I read that you are near Seattle? I suggest you come up and look around Rejuvenation. I think this fixture in their nickel finish and with a white shade (or maybe green?) would look smashing in your kitchen:

George fixture

The white shade (the rim is black):
Enamel shade

Notice that though this is a pole pendant, it's articulated so if it gets hit it swings rather than breaking, and if the ceiling is a smidge off level it still hangs plumb.

I love the level of customization you can get from Rejuvenation and they have so many beautiful lights! Well worth a trip to the store if you're close enough.

You also might be able to score something really unique from their antique salvage offerings. Too bad you need more than one, I don't think any of these restored mercury glass shades are identical -- not to mention they are $450+ not including the fixture. But aren't they swoon-worthy! And they show the nickel finish.
Antique mercury glass

o

Since I am your cousin I can say this back.

Just try and make me SHUT. UP.

I think that living with the elements before making the final choice is sound thinking. Heaven knows we wouldn't have this dated stained glass fixture in our living room now if we had followed that practice 20 years ago. Falling in love with it and buying it without knowing if we could use it anywhere is why we ended up dragging that light around for so many years and so many moves.

When I am a widow............

o

Dianalo--I think you're nicer than I am. ;)

Demo--I saved that Rejuvenation pendant to my lighting fav list a while back. I do like it. I've never seen it IRL though and forgot about the storefront in Seattle. I'll try to get over there next time I'm north.

I love those vintage shades! I studied them online for a while last night and have to agree that none are identical. If only I could find two more cheaply...Thanks for posting.

Kellie-- :-) on more than one level.

o

i like them a lot, i would prefer them in a different color though

o

Thought of you when I saw these because the finish seemed to flow well with your hood finish. I know these are larger than what you wanted, but, presumably, there would at least be two that match. I have no experience with West Elm or the accuracy of the photography.

Here is a link that might be useful: Mercury glass-like finish pendants

o

I think your Viser hood is very classic so I would go with a low-key pendant that is more classic than the beehive looking one. I think you can find something that is a more natural fit with the Viser hood and cararra counters.

o

I think kitchendetective may have found the winner! The price is reasonable and the look is sweet! It is less feminine than your previous mercury glass choice, so maybe dh would like it more. I think it strikes a nice balance of old looking and fresh.

o

As someone who will tomorrow try ONCE AGAIN to sell on CL 6 pendants with, yes, 4, count them 4 (!) different styles of glass shades, I am firmly in the camp of letting everything else come together and living with it for a little while before making a final decision. It certainly is possible that we wouldn't have known what we really wanted without seeing what didn't work, but it also would have been a lot easier/cheaper if we had waited and lived with the space for a time.

o

Sayde--I agree that the beehive/honey dipper doesn't work. Can you look at the one I'm posting below?

Kitchendetective--love it! BUT...it's too wide! Darn it! I can only go as wide as 8" max. That one is 10.5"! I really appreciate you thinking of me and posting this. Dianalo and I both like it!

Leela--I agree that's the best thing to do. I'm so close to cabs and appliances at this point that I might as well wait to see it all come together. Your situation is a fear I have of buying too early. I'd like to narrow my options now if possible.

On the heels of KD's great mercury glass find, I came across this one.

http://www.shopcandelabra.com/regina-andrew-antique-mercury-glass-beaker-pendant.html

The price is great, and I like the shape and mercury glass. What do you think?

Here is a link that might be useful: This one!?

o
Picture of the mercury glass beaker pendant

Finally got the image to copy over. Thoughts?

o

I didn't read all of the previous posts, but I did just want to say a couple of things. First of all, my initial reaction to the first pendant you posted was similar to that of Palimpsest. I think it has an industrial beehive look. Although I still like it because it's unusual, it's not my first choice for your kitchen.

I also want to ask you, how tall are your ceilings? I almost bought the Argentos for my own kitchen and then when I made a mock pendant to see if the size would work, I realized they were too tall for my 8' ceilings. I mean they would fit, but only a little bit of the rod would show at the top and I thought that would emphasize that they were just too big for the space. I was disappointed because I searched a long time to find pendants I liked. Maybe it will work in your kitchen, but I just wanted to point that out in case no one else did. I do like the idea of mercury glass for your kitchen, though. Hope this helps.

o

I like the less antiqued mercury glass finish of the one you posted for your kitchen, if that makes sense. I'm not sure about the black rods (is that what you call the hanging apparatus?), though. I'd sort of prefer a rounded shape that recalls your fabulous hood. Still, wouldn't rule this out.

o

You don't know me, so I don't know how much my opinion will matter, but here it is.

Regardless of your disdain for swiss cheese, the 3 flush mounts would be a mistake. How much would you be spending on those? Would you save by replacing them with cans to justify spending a little more on the pendant lights you love? People will look at your focal points, not the cans in the ceiling. Their function is to give light, not to be something you look at.

Personally, if I were going spend too much for a pendant, it would be the small hicks pendant from Circo lighting:

o

I think you could definitely make those work, breezy, especially if you pull in a few black accents to harmonize with the black cord.

Those pendants (with Edison bulbs) would add a real "vintage-y" element to your kitchen. I wonder if they swing too far away from your modern vision?

What about those pendants with a smaller/lower wattage 15 watt/appliance bulb incandescent? (I noticed at the Schoolhouse Electric showroom, they were showing some fixtures with those appliance bulbs which would still showcase a fixture, but lent a nice softness-and kept the overall temperature bearable in the shop with all those lights on!)

Speaking from experience in our master bath, it might be tricky to coordinate pendants with Edison's adjacent to fixtures where you can't use Edison's because you need more light. Those double loop Edison bulbs emit a very dim golden/orange light ~15 watt equivalent and ~$15/each.

Just food for thought...

o

Breezy, The mercury pendant that you most recently posted is quite nice and would work well, I think. I personally love the RH Benson pendant that you had mentioned in an earlier post.

If it were me I would wait until the room is pretty much done before deciding.

o

Kitchenkrazed--thank you for your excellent point about ceiling height. I hate, hate, hate my low 91" ceilings. The Argentos wouldn't work for me either now that you mention it. Darn! But thanks. :)

Kitchendetective--I also think a rounder shape would probably be better. I'll keep the Beaker shape on my short list though.

Mpagmom--Of course your opinion matters! I only know one person on this forum IRL, my cousin. I value everyone's input. That's why I post! Thanks for bringing the Hicks to my attention. That's one of the very few Circa lights that's narrow enough for me. I have it saved in my favorites and really like it. The round shape is pleasing. If I decide to spend that kind of money, I'll strongly consider that one. Thanks!

Littlesmokie--I'd like some vintage touches to my space. I'm not going all out modern. Thank you form the tip about Edison bulbs. I have to be careful that my lights all coordinate.

o
Re RE: What does this pendant say to you?

Sayde--I really like the RH Benson style and the many copycats also. I just fight the urge to do something different since that style is used so much now. I guess I have to decide between the right fixture for the room (like the Benson) vs the right fixture that makes me happy (something not Benson). Hope that makes sense.

And yes, I will wait to buy any lights now until the kitchen comes together.

o

Have you seen this one?

It's $79 at Pottery Barn and 8.5 inches wide -- not too long, rounder shape.

o

What have you decided?

There are several that I like very much. The one posted above by lascatx from PB for $79 is cute. I do like your original mercury glass selection Argento, probably the best. The Petite Westport Pendant is nice too, but did you see that it had a metal rim at the bottom? I'm not liking the flush mounts with the Argento though. I think the glass lens in the flush mount is too industrial with the elegant glass of the Argento...or is it the metal that I don't like. what about the dark flush mount with the Argento? I do like that dark flush mount with the white stained glass pendant, but it doesn't seem you are heading in the direction of the white stained glass pendant. I like that rugged metal on the PB above. Can you find a flush mount like that to go with the Argento?

...Oh gotta go, DH is up from his nap. I've told him that this GW stuff is my part time job.

o

I have to agree with most of the others, the light you originally posted doesn't seem to be a perfect fit for your kitchen. It has a modern jive and your kitchen has so much character, it needs lighting to match.

I have the PB pendant shown 2 posts above and love them. They are bigger than I expected but once installed fit the space well. We have them on dimmers and at night when they are on low, they have a beautiful glow.

Have you checked out the pendants at mothology? Link is below. The pricing is competitive.

You can also do your own mercury glass on any glass shades. Google "DIY mercury glass" but be sure to use the instructions that use water in a sprayer. It gives a more mottled look.

Good luck! You have great taste and will know when you see the pendant that works for you.

Here is a link that might be useful: Mothology Pendants

o

Okay, I REALLY like the Pottery Barn light. It brings together the elements you were trying for and, in my opinion, would not look contrived in your space. Some of the others make it look like you are trying too hard where this one would blend well.

Give it some serious consideration and I will bring the wine and cheese next time.

o

Ooooh, the middle Mothology one is seriously cool. I can't tell which one is available by their wording.... I'd guess the middle one is the hobnail but I am not sure at all...

o

Waiting = good (IMHO too).

Swiss cheese lights = fine especially if, as you once said Breezy, you want to "light up your kitchen like an operating theater". I loved that sentiment. I think multi-cans can do that for you, painlessly. Then leave the pendants and even flush mounts for looks; the cans for function. =0.02

Rhome: I hear you about not having necessarily invested your heart in lighting that might justify the $$$. But I have a slightly different take. I think we all sort of budget out, unconsciously, a certain amount for aesthetics, things that make you happy just-because. They just look really pretty or cool or something positive to you -- they give you a lift. I don't think it necessarily matters in which of many possible arenas that sort of whimsical extra comes from -- could be from lighting, or, say, rugs or, say, -- dunno, towel pigs, or, say, windows to the sides of ranges... these little extra touches can put your personal mark on things and make you smile. They can become invaluable for that reason alone. And the forum for that might not matter precisely, only that there exists some certain small percentage of that going on in your life/space/kitchen.

So ... I think lighting *can* be that; or not. I think it's perfectly understandable that it never came to that for you, but I'm guessing it has in some other way, say, in those big wonderful fridges, or the island sink ... what about the fantasmagorical corner beverage shelves? That gives you your lift, and lighting could be someone's source of lift. Or not. But it's one possible, reasonable, exterior source of positivity, above and beyond what might justify the $$$.

I happened to find a lighting shop years ago run by an old guy whose taste I adored. I loved everything he displayed, and he gave me good prices in return: I bought an awful lot of awfully nice lamps from him. And they *still* make me happy, even one of them now cracked, years later, surviving a brutal renovation, etc. But he's retired, possibly from this earth, even, by now. And I can't replace his taste, his prices, his special spirit. So now the lamps are cheap and good-enough, but they were once quite expensive. And they still make me happy to see them, think about them, place the stories with them.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, it doesn't matter where you invest more money than is strictly necessary, just that you do somewhere, sometime. Lighting is a possible way to do this, or not if there's another outlet.

That said, too thickly, I'm glad you're waiting, Breezy, because none of the above feels to me quite in keeping with the furniture and floors and kids and space we've seen glimpses of so far.

o

Lascatx--I did see that one when mom2tykel posted about PB having it back in stock again. Yes, I do like it and think the size would work. The shape is nice. I'll leave it on my short list. I appreciate you posting it for me.

Enduring--I haven't decided and will wait to decide for a few weeks, but want to narrow down my choices at this point. The Argento is too tall for my 91" ceilings so they're out. 'm confused now about my flush mount fixtures as no one likes them. More importantly, I'm concerned about the doubts folks about having 3 of them over my island. They're wired already. I don't know what to do.

Mom2tykel--I have seen those mothology lights before. I really like them. I'll try to call tomorrow to get them sorted out as to what's what and when the out of stock ones might be back in. I asked you a question about the Serena pendant on your thread about them. Thanks also for the tip about DIYing mercury glass. I never knew that!

Kellie--I like them too.

Dianalo--yes they are cool! I like the middle one too. I think that's the hobnail and it's sold out. I'll try to call and sort out id and availability.

o

One last interestingly shaped fixture before I call it a night. (I love img src.)

CHROME

o

I'll give you a call a bit later so I can discuss with you in more detail WHY I think that is a possibility. No sense in clogging up the forum with ut and we'll have a good chat besides.

This one you just posted just doesn't impress me. Granted, it is your home and only you need to be happy with it, but I just cannot see it being a long term favorite.

Seeing any of these in person, including the one from PB, would be totally different than looking at a picture.

o

We are living parallel lives. I have been methodically looking for lighting for my kitchen reno - from lighting design to actual pendants. I even keep a handwritten list of websites/companies that I have searched so that I make sure that I look at EVERYTHING! It's exhausting.
I'm leaning towards the same styling and thematic choices that you have for your kitchen. I love the Argento - the profile, the ruddy glass, it's sexy and sophisticated at the same time. I have about two dozen websites flagged for everything ranging from industrial to glass bubble globe pendants. I found one that I thought is similar in style, profile and instead of the mercury glass, it has seeded glass, which helps to obscure the bulb and also gives it that "sexy, ruddy" feeling. It's similar to your Ballard choice above. I'll keep my eyes open for an Argento-like pendant.

Here is a link that might be useful: Lafitte Pendant Light

o

I like the mercury pendant, its beautiful, and its the most classic IMO. I dont know how the light would cast to your work area, I havent seen them installed as a pendant. That would be my first choice.

o
Pendent help, can't return the George model

Does anyone out there have the George Pendent from Rejuvenation? I like the look of the Polished Chrome with the Gloss White Dome (5inch) however, they have a no return policy and I am nervous they won't look like they do on line. If anyone has any style of the George please let me know what you think? My kichen will be White cabinets with Carrara marble, Wolf range. I can do a tomatoe red dome also. Thanks

o

Modern funky trendy. Looks like a honey dip!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here