Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
breezygirl_gw

What does this pendant say to you?

breezygirl
12 years ago

It's time to pick light fixtures! I've got space above my peninsula for two pendants no larger than 8" in diameter. I've looked at so many fixtures over so many months that I'm not sure I have a clear favorite.

DH really likes these of the few I've shown him. I can't decide how I feel about them. I like them, but I like some others better, including one on sale right now for $49. The one below is about $250 each.

I'm purposely asking my question without telling you, if you don't already know, what style I'm going for so I can focus on what this pendant says. What style do you think this fixture coveys? Modern? Funky? Trendy? Cheap? Fussy?

Comments (95)

• kateskouros
    12 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

i immediately thought honey dipper. and yes, i like it for a kitchen. i don't know if i like it for your kitchen or not. it looks small compared to your space -but i like to go bigger on fixtures so that's just me.

don't mean to confuse you; i just wanted to poke my nose in and say hello! i'm looking forward to seeing your finish. sorry i'm no help this time!

• lala girl
    12 years ago

I LOVE the Mercury glass one! That is my favorite for sure, quite different than what is out there right now, and just has great patina.

• kitchendetective
    12 years ago

The Lumino appeals the most in your space. I'd have to think longer, and have my coffee, to figure out why, but what I suspect is that it has the right combination of referents and tones for your space--if I interpret the rendering correctly. I like the beehive, but I think it will be too much of a statement in a direction that is not your first choice. I like the mercury (both versions), but I think they are too "vintage" for your vision, as you describe it. I only skimmed the other posts. Sorry, if this is a repetition.

• nini804
    12 years ago

I think the mercury glass one that you love is the best choice for your kitchen! You have absolutely gorgeous materials and a streamlined hood...I think the mercury glass would be the perfect (to use an over-used cliche) jewelry for your kitchen! I think they would make you so happy and would be a real show-stopper. Any other holidays coming up? Do you get gifts for Arbor Day or Halloween? :)

• brianadarnell
    12 years ago

I immediately thought of the honey dipper thing too. Not that I actually know what your kitchen looks like, but in keeping up with the threads, I feel like I know it a little bit:)
    This isn't what I was visualizing. I really love the mercury glass ones...Unfortunately, I learned on our project that I have expensive taste. It only turned out ok because DH's tastes were more expensive so I always looked like I had cheaper taste :)

• lavender_lass
    12 years ago

What does it say to me...headache. I would not like the first one, just because that darn bulb would be glaring out at me, through the metal. Whatever light you choose, please think about people sitting at the table, eating dinner and not wanting bare bulbs and the resulting glare. Just my two cents :)

• kellied
    12 years ago

Calling you.

• rhome410
    12 years ago

I'm in the minority here, because to me the mercury glass says (too) vintage and fussy/dressy...But that's just an opinion, as it's just not my cup of tea.

I like the honey server one (has cool lines, a sleek look and finish that says it offers a contemporary twist on a more classic shape), and don't understand why sweeping it with a feather duster or something wouldn't take care of cleaning it, and possibly easier than something solid.

The $49 one is attractive and sharp looking, but do you care that light will only come out the bottom because the shade is so solid? That's one reason I like the honey server one... it lets light out as well as down.

I think the Tiffany will look too small, and I like the funky fun of the Westport...but not sure it's the clean-lined, more contemporary look I'd imagined your space to be.

It's all opinion. This is also, and not a moral judgment at all...But I couldn't spend $500 (or even $250) on a single light fixture. There are SO many choices out there, and so many things on which to spend that kind of money. Will it mean that much to you, and you'll love it every second? If so, maybe it's worth it to you. I like my light fixtures, but they don't make that much impact on my life...But maybe that's because they're not special enough. ;-) If these comments are off-topic or inappropriate to say, I apologize. It's just something I always have to weigh in every decision.

• sas95
    12 years ago

I agree with rhome about the mercury glass fixture being too fussy/dressy, and I also prefer the honey server one for your space. To me, the mercury glass ones would say you were trying too hard, if that makes sense.

• lavender_lass
    12 years ago

Breezy- Sarah Richardson seems to visit vintage lighting shops a lot...and finds some great pendants. Being near Seattle, have you looked much for vintage lighting? You only need two pendants and you might find something really special, for a better price. For her farmhouse remodel on HGTV, she found some X-ray lights that she used in the kitchen. They looked great and provided lots of character. I think she used some vintage fixtures in the upstairs bath, too :)

• Parachuting
    12 years ago

I like the first pendant. But what I really would like to know is who made your hood? That's along the lines of what I'm looking for. Thanks and good luck with your lighting search!

• blfenton
    12 years ago

I'll keep my opinion of mercury glass to myself.

I do like the tiffany lamp for your space when seeing everything else that you have chosen. If you are going with a drum light for the DR I think the two shapes could work well together. The tiffany to me anyway, says simple and elegant. But I should tell you that I just love simple tiffany lamps. I like the perceived craftsmanship, the shapes, the idea of the times that they hearken back to.

I really do not like the flushmount for your space. There is nothing attractive about them - they look very chunky and I envision your space a little more feminine than that. How about a semi-flush instead. There are more variety of designs and heights available in a semi-flush and they won't appear to be plastered against the ceiling.

I remember you mentioning one time about you being a "simple black cocktail dress with pearls" kinda girl and wanting a kitchen to emulate that. Not seeing it in the lighting so far and that's a great place for some jewelery.

• phoggie
    12 years ago

I think it is saying, "Keep looking"....that is unless you are going for funky modern and I don't that is the style of your kitchen pic. I agree that it looks like the little thingy that you can dip honey with LOL.

• joaniepoanie
    12 years ago

Love the pendant.....to me it says retro modern. Would look fun in your kitten.....but....I prefer lumina comet....a touch of Audrey Hepburn!

• kawh707
    12 years ago

OMGx2!
    get the mercury pendants and never look back.
    it is just gorgeous. like the other one, too-- a great '60s vibe to me-- but may be too busy for that kitchen??

i absolutely love the mercury pendant. hey-- do they make anything in the family suitable for over a dining table?? (for me, of course!)

• girlville
    12 years ago

I've never posted to this forum before but have lurked for some time as we are currently building our new home. Of the pendants you posted I lean more toward the traditional familiar lines of the other fixtures not the metal beehive. Now let me indulge in a bit of hypocrisy.

I just wanted to put forth an alternative beehive I came across and purchased for my laundry. So I do like beehives just not your beehive (sorry). I was originally going to use a basic but classic schoolhouse. Until I looked up in a local lighting shop and 'aaaaaahhhhhhhh' (that was a choir of angels FYI not a cry of pain) saw it. It occurred to me that it looked like a classic ie. a bell jar/schoolhouse - tri-chain suspension, milky glass, metal chain and canopy, but funkdafied. It comes in a variety of glass and metal finishes. Also (as these things go, synchronicity) saw it a couple of days ago, by chance, in a back issue of 'renovation style' magazine hanging over a kitchen island and had my impulse purchase validated by how attractive it looked.

The size might not be appropriate for you, but worth a look anyway to explore the style.

Here is a link that might be useful: Beehive

• Mercymygft
    12 years ago

I found this pendant and really love it! I wonder how 2 of these would look over a 9' island?

Here is a link that might be useful: Solaris mini pendant

• stannley
    12 years ago

Breezy I have to second Dianolo's mention of DH's preference. I too 'had my way' all through the remodel and gave in only when it came to the oak floor stain. I wanted dark and he wanted light. Kind of wanted to kick him about it, but realized that he deserved some meaningful input. So honestly I kind of like the honey dippers though I'd prefer the mercury glass and vote that you give in if he really, really likes honey!

• breezygirl
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Cmm--I have searched for other mercury glass pendants, but not for several months.

Controlfreakecs--I also like the RH Benson pendant. I feel like it's been a bit overused now because of its popularity. I know it *would* be very nice with my other elements. The fireplace will be tiled on both sides up to a traditional mantle with drywall above. I like modern in that I like cleaner and simpler lines, but I'm drawn to more traditional styling and vintage items. If that makes sense. :)

Littlesmokie--I'm not going to buy anything until I'm sure of what I'm doing for all the fixtures.

Dianalo--DH really doesn't much care about much of the finishings, except that he really wanted a certain front door when I wanted a simpler one. He felt strongly about that so I bought his choice. It was something I could live with as it won't in my constant visual field like the pendants will be. If I make a case for a different pendant that I want, he'll tell me to do what I want.

Tilenut--I'm not adverse to a tiny amount of color, but I'm going for an overall more neutral, textured room with whites and grays. I would like to use small amounts of oranges and greens somehow for contrast.

Kellie--Thanks for the Lumino vote. Since I'm your cousin I can say this about your opinion mattering. Shut. Up.

Davidro--LOL! I missed that somehow!

Kate--Always glad to have you poke in. I wish I could go with bigger fixtures over the peninsula, but unfortunately I only have about 45" of peninsula. (The graph drawing above is an older version.) I'm looking forward to *your* finished kitchen also!

Laura, Kitchendetective, Briana, Sas, Phoggie, Joanie--Thanks for weighing in.

Nini--Maybe I can convince DH that he usually buys me Columbus Day gift? ;)

Rhome--I always value your input as you've been so valuable for so long in planning my kitchen. You're comments weren't inappropriate.

Lavender--Glare noted. Good idea to look for vintage. As mentioned, I don't want to do what would be typical there. Road trip!

Parachuting--The hood is made by Rangecraft. They make custom, to-order hoods. Mine was from their clearance page where they list items about which customers changed their minds. It was good luck to find it as I haven't seen anything as pretty there since I bought mine. I'll link below.

Blfenton--Normally I don't like Tiffany lamps because they seem too busy and colorful. The restrained, elegant color pattern of the Lumino caught my eye. I chose flushmounts for the island instead of semi-flush as I didn't want the fixtures to compete with the pendants. I thought that if the island lights hugged the ceiling they would be less noticable. Any suggestions for what you see there?

Kawh--The mercury glass fixtures are by Corbett Lighting. I didn't see anything else that looked more like a traditional chandy, but I don't rememeber.

Girlville--Thanks for taking the time to post. That fixture is too large for my space. I do like it though. I'm not sure I could find one small enough in that style.

Mercy--I think those are too small to put two over a 9' island.

Stannley--I think DH would look at the fixture differently once I tell him about the shadow pattern and glare. Still, I don't think he feels so strongly about the honey dipper to veto me if I prefer another.

Here is a link that might be useful: Rangecraft hoods clearance page

• dianalo
    12 years ago

I could have pushed through my preference for the counter when dh suggested the Corian, but I saw the way his face lit up and knew he really liked it. I decided to think about it a bit and see how I felt after living with the sample a little. It was very nice, but it felt like it was displacing my prior choice too quickly (which we had both been psyched about). I just saw that he really liked the new choice and would have hated to shoot that down. He had much less interest overall in picking, so I felt it would be fair to defer. I do love what we have but occasionally wish I could have seen the other done in person so I could choose side by side. Usually, I look at the counters and like how I was more generous than my initial instinct was. They are also nice, so that helps, lol....

• kellied
    12 years ago

Since I am your cousin I can say this back.

Just try and make me SHUT. UP.

I think that living with the elements before making the final choice is sound thinking. Heaven knows we wouldn't have this dated stained glass fixture in our living room now if we had followed that practice 20 years ago. Falling in love with it and buying it without knowing if we could use it anywhere is why we ended up dragging that light around for so many years and so many moves.

When I am a widow............

• breezygirl
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Dianalo--I think you're nicer than I am. ;)

Demo--I saved that Rejuvenation pendant to my lighting fav list a while back. I do like it. I've never seen it IRL though and forgot about the storefront in Seattle. I'll try to get over there next time I'm north.

I love those vintage shades! I studied them online for a while last night and have to agree that none are identical. If only I could find two more cheaply...Thanks for posting.

Kellie-- :-) on more than one level.

• mustang49
    12 years ago

i like them a lot, i would prefer them in a different color though

• kitchendetective
    12 years ago

Thought of you when I saw these because the finish seemed to flow well with your hood finish. I know these are larger than what you wanted, but, presumably, there would at least be two that match. I have no experience with West Elm or the accuracy of the photography.

Here is a link that might be useful: Mercury glass-like finish pendants

• sayde
    12 years ago

I think your Viser hood is very classic so I would go with a low-key pendant that is more classic than the beehive looking one. I think you can find something that is a more natural fit with the Viser hood and cararra counters.

• dianalo
    12 years ago

I think kitchendetective may have found the winner! The price is reasonable and the look is sweet! It is less feminine than your previous mercury glass choice, so maybe dh would like it more. I think it strikes a nice balance of old looking and fresh.

• leela4
    12 years ago

As someone who will tomorrow try ONCE AGAIN to sell on CL 6 pendants with, yes, 4, count them 4 (!) different styles of glass shades, I am firmly in the camp of letting everything else come together and living with it for a little while before making a final decision. It certainly is possible that we wouldn't have known what we really wanted without seeing what didn't work, but it also would have been a lot easier/cheaper if we had waited and lived with the space for a time.

• breezygirl
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Sayde--I agree that the beehive/honey dipper doesn't work. Can you look at the one I'm posting below?

Kitchendetective--love it! BUT...it's too wide! Darn it! I can only go as wide as 8" max. That one is 10.5"! I really appreciate you thinking of me and posting this. Dianalo and I both like it!

Leela--I agree that's the best thing to do. I'm so close to cabs and appliances at this point that I might as well wait to see it all come together. Your situation is a fear I have of buying too early. I'd like to narrow my options now if possible.

On the heels of KD's great mercury glass find, I came across this one.

http://www.shopcandelabra.com/regina-andrew-antique-mercury-glass-beaker-pendant.html

The price is great, and I like the shape and mercury glass. What do you think?

Here is a link that might be useful: This one!?

• breezygirl
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Finally got the image to copy over. Thoughts?

• kitchenkrazed09
    12 years ago

I didn't read all of the previous posts, but I did just want to say a couple of things. First of all, my initial reaction to the first pendant you posted was similar to that of Palimpsest. I think it has an industrial beehive look. Although I still like it because it's unusual, it's not my first choice for your kitchen.

I also want to ask you, how tall are your ceilings? I almost bought the Argentos for my own kitchen and then when I made a mock pendant to see if the size would work, I realized they were too tall for my 8' ceilings. I mean they would fit, but only a little bit of the rod would show at the top and I thought that would emphasize that they were just too big for the space. I was disappointed because I searched a long time to find pendants I liked. Maybe it will work in your kitchen, but I just wanted to point that out in case no one else did. I do like the idea of mercury glass for your kitchen, though. Hope this helps.

• kitchendetective
    12 years ago

I like the less antiqued mercury glass finish of the one you posted for your kitchen, if that makes sense. I'm not sure about the black rods (is that what you call the hanging apparatus?), though. I'd sort of prefer a rounded shape that recalls your fabulous hood. Still, wouldn't rule this out.

• mpagmom (SW Ohio)
    12 years ago

You don't know me, so I don't know how much my opinion will matter, but here it is.

Regardless of your disdain for swiss cheese, the 3 flush mounts would be a mistake. How much would you be spending on those? Would you save by replacing them with cans to justify spending a little more on the pendant lights you love? People will look at your focal points, not the cans in the ceiling. Their function is to give light, not to be something you look at.

Personally, if I were going spend too much for a pendant, it would be the small hicks pendant from Circo lighting:

• littlesmokie
    12 years ago

I think you could definitely make those work, breezy, especially if you pull in a few black accents to harmonize with the black cord.

Those pendants (with Edison bulbs) would add a real "vintage-y" element to your kitchen. I wonder if they swing too far away from your modern vision?

What about those pendants with a smaller/lower wattage 15 watt/appliance bulb incandescent? (I noticed at the Schoolhouse Electric showroom, they were showing some fixtures with those appliance bulbs which would still showcase a fixture, but lent a nice softness-and kept the overall temperature bearable in the shop with all those lights on!)

Speaking from experience in our master bath, it might be tricky to coordinate pendants with Edison's adjacent to fixtures where you can't use Edison's because you need more light. Those double loop Edison bulbs emit a very dim golden/orange light ~15 watt equivalent and ~$15/each.

Just food for thought...

• sayde
    12 years ago

Breezy, The mercury pendant that you most recently posted is quite nice and would work well, I think. I personally love the RH Benson pendant that you had mentioned in an earlier post.

If it were me I would wait until the room is pretty much done before deciding.

• breezygirl
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Kitchenkrazed--thank you for your excellent point about ceiling height. I hate, hate, hate my low 91" ceilings. The Argentos wouldn't work for me either now that you mention it. Darn! But thanks. :)

Kitchendetective--I also think a rounder shape would probably be better. I'll keep the Beaker shape on my short list though.

Mpagmom--Of course your opinion matters! I only know one person on this forum IRL, my cousin. I value everyone's input. That's why I post! Thanks for bringing the Hicks to my attention. That's one of the very few Circa lights that's narrow enough for me. I have it saved in my favorites and really like it. The round shape is pleasing. If I decide to spend that kind of money, I'll strongly consider that one. Thanks!

Littlesmokie--I'd like some vintage touches to my space. I'm not going all out modern. Thank you form the tip about Edison bulbs. I have to be careful that my lights all coordinate.

• breezygirl
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Sayde--I really like the RH Benson style and the many copycats also. I just fight the urge to do something different since that style is used so much now. I guess I have to decide between the right fixture for the room (like the Benson) vs the right fixture that makes me happy (something not Benson). Hope that makes sense.

And yes, I will wait to buy any lights now until the kitchen comes together.

• lascatx
    12 years ago

Have you seen this one?

It's $79 at Pottery Barn and 8.5 inches wide -- not too long, rounder shape.

• enduring
    12 years ago

What have you decided?

There are several that I like very much. The one posted above by lascatx from PB for $79 is cute. I do like your original mercury glass selection Argento, probably the best. The Petite Westport Pendant is nice too, but did you see that it had a metal rim at the bottom? I'm not liking the flush mounts with the Argento though. I think the glass lens in the flush mount is too industrial with the elegant glass of the Argento...or is it the metal that I don't like. what about the dark flush mount with the Argento? I do like that dark flush mount with the white stained glass pendant, but it doesn't seem you are heading in the direction of the white stained glass pendant. I like that rugged metal on the PB above. Can you find a flush mount like that to go with the Argento?

...Oh gotta go, DH is up from his nap. I've told him that this GW stuff is my part time job.

• mom2tykel
    12 years ago

I have to agree with most of the others, the light you originally posted doesn't seem to be a perfect fit for your kitchen. It has a modern jive and your kitchen has so much character, it needs lighting to match.

I have the PB pendant shown 2 posts above and love them. They are bigger than I expected but once installed fit the space well. We have them on dimmers and at night when they are on low, they have a beautiful glow.

Have you checked out the pendants at mothology? Link is below. The pricing is competitive.

You can also do your own mercury glass on any glass shades. Google "DIY mercury glass" but be sure to use the instructions that use water in a sprayer. It gives a more mottled look.

Good luck! You have great taste and will know when you see the pendant that works for you.

Here is a link that might be useful: Mothology Pendants

• kellied
    12 years ago

Okay, I REALLY like the Pottery Barn light. It brings together the elements you were trying for and, in my opinion, would not look contrived in your space. Some of the others make it look like you are trying too hard where this one would blend well.

Give it some serious consideration and I will bring the wine and cheese next time.

• dianalo
    12 years ago

Ooooh, the middle Mothology one is seriously cool. I can't tell which one is available by their wording.... I'd guess the middle one is the hobnail but I am not sure at all...

• aliris19
    12 years ago

Waiting = good (IMHO too).

Swiss cheese lights = fine especially if, as you once said Breezy, you want to "light up your kitchen like an operating theater". I loved that sentiment. I think multi-cans can do that for you, painlessly. Then leave the pendants and even flush mounts for looks; the cans for function. =0.02

Rhome: I hear you about not having necessarily invested your heart in lighting that might justify the $$$. But I have a slightly different take. I think we all sort of budget out, unconsciously, a certain amount for aesthetics, things that make you happy just-because. They just look really pretty or cool or something positive to you -- they give you a lift. I don't think it necessarily matters in which of many possible arenas that sort of whimsical extra comes from -- could be from lighting, or, say, rugs or, say, -- dunno, towel pigs, or, say, windows to the sides of ranges... these little extra touches can put your personal mark on things and make you smile. They can become invaluable for that reason alone. And the forum for that might not matter precisely, only that there exists some certain small percentage of that going on in your life/space/kitchen.

So ... I think lighting *can* be that; or not. I think it's perfectly understandable that it never came to that for you, but I'm guessing it has in some other way, say, in those big wonderful fridges, or the island sink ... what about the fantasmagorical corner beverage shelves? That gives you your lift, and lighting could be someone's source of lift. Or not. But it's one possible, reasonable, exterior source of positivity, above and beyond what might justify the $$$.

I happened to find a lighting shop years ago run by an old guy whose taste I adored. I loved everything he displayed, and he gave me good prices in return: I bought an awful lot of awfully nice lamps from him. And they *still* make me happy, even one of them now cracked, years later, surviving a brutal renovation, etc. But he's retired, possibly from this earth, even, by now. And I can't replace his taste, his prices, his special spirit. So now the lamps are cheap and good-enough, but they were once quite expensive. And they still make me happy to see them, think about them, place the stories with them.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, it doesn't matter where you invest more money than is strictly necessary, just that you do somewhere, sometime. Lighting is a possible way to do this, or not if there's another outlet.

That said, too thickly, I'm glad you're waiting, Breezy, because none of the above feels to me quite in keeping with the furniture and floors and kids and space we've seen glimpses of so far.

• breezygirl
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Lascatx--I did see that one when mom2tykel posted about PB having it back in stock again. Yes, I do like it and think the size would work. The shape is nice. I'll leave it on my short list. I appreciate you posting it for me.

Enduring--I haven't decided and will wait to decide for a few weeks, but want to narrow down my choices at this point. The Argento is too tall for my 91" ceilings so they're out. 'm confused now about my flush mount fixtures as no one likes them. More importantly, I'm concerned about the doubts folks about having 3 of them over my island. They're wired already. I don't know what to do.

Mom2tykel--I have seen those mothology lights before. I really like them. I'll try to call tomorrow to get them sorted out as to what's what and when the out of stock ones might be back in. I asked you a question about the Serena pendant on your thread about them. Thanks also for the tip about DIYing mercury glass. I never knew that!

Kellie--I like them too.

Dianalo--yes they are cool! I like the middle one too. I think that's the hobnail and it's sold out. I'll try to call and sort out id and availability.

• breezygirl
    Original Author
    12 years ago

One last interestingly shaped fixture before I call it a night. (I love img src.)

CHROME

• kellied
    12 years ago

I'll give you a call a bit later so I can discuss with you in more detail WHY I think that is a possibility. No sense in clogging up the forum with ut and we'll have a good chat besides.

This one you just posted just doesn't impress me. Granted, it is your home and only you need to be happy with it, but I just cannot see it being a long term favorite.

Seeing any of these in person, including the one from PB, would be totally different than looking at a picture.

• XenaGal
    12 years ago

We are living parallel lives. I have been methodically looking for lighting for my kitchen reno - from lighting design to actual pendants. I even keep a handwritten list of websites/companies that I have searched so that I make sure that I look at EVERYTHING! It's exhausting.
    I'm leaning towards the same styling and thematic choices that you have for your kitchen. I love the Argento - the profile, the ruddy glass, it's sexy and sophisticated at the same time. I have about two dozen websites flagged for everything ranging from industrial to glass bubble globe pendants. I found one that I thought is similar in style, profile and instead of the mercury glass, it has seeded glass, which helps to obscure the bulb and also gives it that "sexy, ruddy" feeling. It's similar to your Ballard choice above. I'll keep my eyes open for an Argento-like pendant.

Here is a link that might be useful: Lafitte Pendant Light

• pollyannacorona
    12 years ago

I like the mercury pendant, its beautiful, and its the most classic IMO. I dont know how the light would cast to your work area, I havent seen them installed as a pendant. That would be my first choice.

• marioncohen1
    10 years ago

Does anyone out there have the George Pendent from Rejuvenation? I like the look of the Polished Chrome with the Gloss White Dome (5inch) however, they have a no return policy and I am nervous they won't look like they do on line. If anyone has any style of the George please let me know what you think? My kichen will be White cabinets with Carrara marble, Wolf range. I can do a tomatoe red dome also. Thanks

• Vertise
    10 years ago

Modern funky trendy. Looks like a honey dip!