Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nosoccermom

The inside scoop on IKEA's new kitchen system

nosoccermom
9 years ago

What, when, etc. link to apartmenttherapy below.

Supposedly, it'll be in stores in February 2015. I wonder whether this means a super sale on the current Akurum series. Last time they switched, I bought doors and drawer fronts for 2.00/piece.

Here is a link that might be useful: latest on new IKEA kitchen system

Comments (15)

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    9 years ago

Nice pics, but really no info that hasn't been available on ikeafans for several months. Doesn't answer any of the big questions, like how they're going to be sized, for example.

• nosoccermom
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Right, also whether they'll discontinue their Adel wood, like in Europe.

• juno_barks
    9 years ago

That post on Apartment Therapy kinda made me want to cry. My Akrum kitchen is nearly finished, all cabinets assembled and nearly all in place. The new kitchens look so gorgeous, I didn't want any more envy!

Deep Breath

OK, I will love my new kitchen. envy, be gone.

• AquaLove
    9 years ago

I've been trying to decide if I should go ahead and do my kitchen now or wait for Sektion. I've read everything I can find on it, and I've gone back and forth on waiting or not. I thought I had read somewhere that the base sides are going to be 5/8" instead of the current 3/4" but I have looked all over and can't find that comment again. If anyone has seen that, please let me know.

• nosoccermom
    Original Author
    9 years ago

According to the UK site, the frames are 18 mm thick, which is slightly below .71 inches (.708), i.e. so slightly less than 3/4" but definitely more than 5/8 (.62"). Now, of course, I don't know whether the 3/4" US cabinet frames are indeed .75" or maybe '71".

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    9 years ago

One thing I'm really wondering about is that in Europe they rolled it in long stages. At first in Scandinavia there were only a very limited number of sizes and styles and then gradually they added more.

I wonder if they will do it that way with Sektion, too.

• crl_
    9 years ago

I'm wondering about a sale too. Our kitchen is old and non-standard so I'm not even going to try to use ikea cabinets in it. But we are considering redoing the laundry room at the same time and will want new upper cabinets for that. A close out sale would be nice.

• raenjapan
    9 years ago

ooh, I hadn't heard about this! I think the white drawers look much nicer than the previous gray, and I'm LOVING the drawer lighting. It sounds like they will have better options for under-counter lighting, too, which I thought was sub-par in our last ikea kitchen. Thanks for posting!

• tracie.erin
    9 years ago

I'm also not sure about waiting for Sektion or moving forward with Akurum. If the Sektion door styles are not announced soon, and they do not include a white wood door - the European version of Sektion, Metod, has no wood doors at all - I will definitely go with Akurum.

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    9 years ago

Yes, they do, tracie erin. Laxarby is white stained birch, like the current ramsjo but with narrower stiles and rails:

edited because I misread your post, sorry about that

Here is a link that might be useful: laxarby door

This post was edited by writersblock on Thu, Sep 18, 14 at 12:44

• Buehl
    9 years ago

Are the drawers full-extension? If so, why would you need lights?

• juno_barks
    9 years ago

I really like the drawer-within-a-drawer feature in the new kitchen. Though they say its not cross compatible with Akrum, I just wonder why one couldn't slip in one of those low profile drawers...

• practigal
    9 years ago

Ikea has now posted additional information about the new Sektion system on their website. According to their website it will go on display and they will begin selling it on February 2, 2015.

Here is a link that might be useful: Link to Ikea FAQ

• tracie.erin
    9 years ago

Thanks, WB. The Laxarby is not as appealing as the Ramsjo with those narrow styles, PLUS it also has that pinkish tone I'm not in love with but to which I have resigned myself. Sigh.. it would be perfect if IKEA did a truer white wider-railed shaker wood door in Sektion, but who knows when they are going to announce the door styles. Hmph. Of course when DH finally agrees to an IKEA kitchen, all this shake-up happens :/

• nosoccermom
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yes, I so agree with that pinkish stain. They do have a new rustic oak, though....