Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need fast advice re height of BS & outlets - about to meet GC

Posted by kaysd (My Page) on
Thu, Sep 20, 12 at 14:33

On our sink wall, there is a 10' run of cabinets. They are separated by a door from the cabinets on the adjacent wall. The center 6' of the 10' run has a bumpout for a bay window (the counter is almost 4' deep in that area). The bottom of the window is 6" above the counter.

I did not want any BS on the sink wall, but my designer convinced me I need at least a short splash to cover any gap between counter and drywall and protect the drywall when I run a sponge over the counter. I am doing a fancier full height splash on the back range wall, so I prefer to do a short splash on the side sink wall using the same quartzite as the counters.
I need to decide whether to use a 6" high splash to the bottom of the window, or just a little 2-3" splash. WWYD?

I told the electrician I wanted sideways outlets close to the counter. He put them 8" above the counter to allow for a 6" splash. I think it looks a little odd to have horizontal outlets mounted so high. He can still lower them if I let him know ASAP that I plan to use a shorter splash.

This is not the layout we finally decided on (among other changes, there is now a french door just above the DW), but it is all I have loaded on Photobucket and shows the window bumpout, in case that helps.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need fast advice re height of BS & outlets - about to meet GC

Without seeing and knowing a few other things, I suggest going shorter on the little bs. 6" looks too much like the dated 4" splash. I'm sure it could work, but I think you lean more modern than that.

Here's my 2" splashlette if it helps. It does the job of protecting (and hiding) the seam where the stone meets the wall while still not looking obtrusive and catching the eye too much.

Photobucket

o

I do really like yours Breezy. Is yours 2 cm thick?

o

Yes, the splashlette is 2cm thick. My counters are 4cm so they had to fabricate the spashlette from a different slab. The whole installation was unplanned anyway due to their error in cutting.

In re-reading your OP, I noticed that a 6" splash will come up to the bottom of the window sill. Is that right? If you go that route, at least you'll be lining the stone strip up with an existing element in the room so it wouldn't look so out of place. With a window 6" above counter, a little 2" strip of stone would leave abbot 4" of drywall. Would you like a little strip of painted drywall showing like that?

I'm not much help. Just pointing out some issues on which to ponder. :)

o

Yep, that's what I was pondering: line up with bottom of window or keep it very minimal.

o

I see pros and cons each way in *your*situation. I still think I'd go minimal, but it'll look good either way. Btw, I'm excited to see how your kitchen turns out. Going slow to take care of that little baby was, IMHO, the best way to go.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here