Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
renosarefun

Arched Valance Over Sink Pricing.

renosarefun
9 years ago

I'm in the process of pricing out Solid Cherry Raised Panel custom size doors and it's going for around $20.00 per sq. ft unfinished which I find reasonable for the design my wife picked. When it comes to the arched solid cherry valance over the sink to match the doors they want $500.00 unfinished. I can do the math and know they don't go by the $20.00 per sq. ft. as I guess this is true custom Is this the going price?

It's like the image below but unfinished. as I will stain and clear coat it.

This post was edited by Renosarefun on Mon, Sep 22, 14 at 14:35

Comments (18)

• renosarefun
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Double post..............sorry

This post was edited by Renosarefun on Mon, Sep 22, 14 at 14:46

• windycitylindy
    9 years ago

Are you sure you want a valance? To my eye, it looks quite dated.

• renosarefun
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the reply WindyCityLindy.

We're not up on what's in style, rather we go with what we like and yes we like a valance.

Our existing kitchen is oak and is about 30 years old. During that time it has gone in and out of style about 3 times, therefore what is in style now may not be in 10 years and we hope this will be our last kitchen.

Again, thanks for the reply.

• windycitylindy
    9 years ago

Very true about what goes in and out of style, and it's always better to do what you like. If you like a valance, then you should get one. Unfortunately, the more decorative pieces seemed significantly more expensive when we were pricing cabinets. I was posting and running earlier--should have added that forgoing the valance could be a way to save a not-insignificant chunk of money. That being said, three years from now, you will not be kicking yourself over spending an extra $500 to get that piece. I would at least try expressing dismay over the cost and see if they'd move a little, though since many shops are apparently only semi-custom, they may have the significant upcharge for that piece since it may truly be custom.

Have you had your cabinets priced out by different cabinet makers? Ours varied by a factor of 3, which I found amazing.

• _sophiewheeler
    9 years ago

The valance is priced about right. The cabinets are way too cheap.

• renosarefun
    Original Author
    9 years ago

WindyCityLindy

Thanks again for the reply,

I've priced out the door from several well know custom shops and based on the high quality of the products the price of the doors are very reasonable. I didn't realize the valance would be some much and since they will match exactly to the doors I guess I can bite the bullet. As for being dated, I hope it all comes together well as I'm also adding end panels to the fridge, pantry etc. I hope it won't be too much.

I made no mention of the price of the cabinets as I made them myself.

hollysprings

Thanks for the reply.

The $20.00 per sq. ft is for the solid cherry raised panel unfinished doors which I made mention in my original post. I made the cabinets myself so I'm not sure where you got the cab pricing from.

Cabinets are made from 3/4" Maple AW2W (better than kitchen cabinet grade) grade, good both sides, unfinished. Build with type 17 screws, dominos and glue with 3/4" all sides including backs.

I started a diy kitchen reno several months ago but haven't had the chance to update as I've been busy building and installing our kitchen and my wife is starting to get impatient.

Thanks for the reply, I'll probably place the order tomorrow.

• aries61
    9 years ago

Did you price out Conestoga doors and valances?

Here is a link that might be useful: Conestoga Valance

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    9 years ago

You can get them very inexpensively from Hoffco, where a lot of the pros get those and wood hoods, too:

Here is a link that might be useful: hoffco valences

• renosarefun
    Original Author
    9 years ago

aries61

Thanks for the reply, I wasn't able to find any pricing but they don't make custom sizes and won't match my exact profile. My size is exactly 41 1/8" and my wife was able to pick every aspect of the door profile including the raised panel and the valance matches perfectly. in both species of cherry and profile. Maybe that's why the price is higher.

writersblock

Thanks for the reply. I wasn't able to find the exact profile nor do they make customs sizes, at least I don't think they do, but if you're not looking for a specific profile or size I agree the price is really good.

• ci_lantro
    9 years ago

Renos--If you go to Hoffco's affiliate, valleyoakcabinetdoors dot com, on page 80 of their catalogue, they offer a standard 42" valance similar to the one you posted a pix of. Custom options on pg 81. Sooo, Hoffco may very well be able to supply you with a valance.

Here is a link that might be useful: Valley Oak Cabinet Doors

• sombreuil_mongrel
    9 years ago

It's that price because of the curved raised panels requiring a different setup, plus you said they are matching your other profiles, another setup, perhaps knife fee. And they will have to get the lead guy to run that shaper with the template-following ball bearing head, not the new guy or he will ruin the first two blanks, or worse.
    Curved work is _always_ a premium.
    Square with standard profiles would be 1/3 less I bet.
    Casey

• jakuvall
    9 years ago

$36 per 3" in Cherry finished would be a standard mid range manufacturer. They would typically deduct 10% for unfinished but then that is not where I would be going for unfinished.

• renosarefun
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Based on the replies, in order to get it to match the custom door style and get the exact size the price quoted is reasonable in unfinished Cherry.

The doors and panels have been order, if no questions on sizing I should have a date of delivery by Friday.

Thanks everyone

• dovetonsils
    9 years ago

We had a similar arched valence put into our kitchen remodel last year and it was about $475 finished. Luckily, we didn't look at the itemized list before we signed the contract (which was reasonable) because we might have passed on this and some other items. Now that we have the kitchen completed, we realize that the arched valence "makes" the kitchen and receives the most complements, but I was totally shocked at the cost of crown molding, light rail, decorative fillers, toe kicks, and other decorative items. Probably added 40% to the total cabinet cost.

This post was edited by Dovetonsils on Thu, Sep 25, 14 at 0:44

• renosarefun
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the reply Dovetonsils:

I'll assume yours was Cherry also? I figure since it matches exactly to the cabinets and in the exact size I don't have much of a choice and as you say, we believe it will also make the kitchen when combined with the end panels etc, even though some may feel a valance is "dated".

• ajc71
    9 years ago

I wouldn't touch that for $500....knife charge alone would be that

• dovetonsils
    9 years ago

Renosarefun:

Our arch is hazlenut glazed maple:

• renosarefun
    Original Author
    9 years ago

ajc71:

Therefore I'll assume $500.00 is a great price.

Dovetonsils

I, really like yours, my wife made one slight change to the center to look more like yours rather then on a slight angle like in the first photos. She believes that since the cabinet doors aren't that way, the valance shouldn't be either.