Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fouramblues

CEF, I went to the forklift today!!

fouramblues
11 years ago

There weren't many "mint condition" cabs at Community Forklift today (I'm looking for a 21" for the pantry, not interested in much refurbing), but what a fun excursion! How quickly do loads like you described this week get snatched up usually?

So I didn't see anything I had to have (this time), but I did see a pair of truck nuts on the drive home. ;)

P.S. In case anyone is interested, there's a lone 27" 3-drawer stack, soft close, cream Shaker fronts, Yorktown, brand new. I pointed out the missing Blum hardware under the top drawer, so the guy priced it at $15!!!

Comments (7)

• desertsteph
    11 years ago

I wanna go there!

• CEFreeman
    11 years ago

How COOOOOOl!

They were unloading a truck of in-the-box cabinets when I was there Thursday.

Did you see all the vintage sinks people swoon over?

This stuff goes within a matter of days, usually. I like going on Thursday or Friday because it's before the amateurs get there. By Tuesday when they reopen, it can be a whole new store.

I was going to go and get a 16' 2x4, but couldn't get out today. We'll see how it goes. :) Glad to hear you visited!

• kai615
    11 years ago

It looks like you all are from semi close to me. I had not yet heard of Community Forklift. My husband and I will have to take a drive down. We usually try a scavenging trip every month and a half or so. How does it compare to Second Chance in Baltimore? Or have you been up here to visit Second Chance yet?

• fouramblues
    Original Author
    11 years ago

desertsteph, I can't believe it's taken me so long to make the short trip (less than half an hour)! But we can all live vicariously through CEF.

CEF, no I didn't look at the vintage sinks. :( I had limited time (needed to pick DD up from school), so concentrated on cabs. Oh, but I did get lost by the old-timey gas ranges. So pretty! But I either missed half of the stock, or the stock moves QUICKLY. It is just that one big warehouse room, right? BTW, lots of 2x4s outside still, didn't notice the lengths.

Kali615, I haven't been to Second Chance, but google CEFreeman's posts -- she has! And a friend got most of her cabs and a ton of salvaged, old-growth oak flooring for $1/ft2. Not bad!

• TxMarti
    11 years ago

I wish there was a Forklift here. There isn't even a Habitat store near me.

• Circus Peanut
    11 years ago

They've got a bunch of Marmoleum at great prices on eBay right now, but they don't ship, sadly. :-/

• CEFreeman
    11 years ago

Marti8a, by charter, there is supposed to be a Habitat for Humanity in every county. Look a bit harder. Of course, you could be on one end of a county, and the H4Hs on the opposite ends of any counties!!!

Yes, I've been up to Second Chance. With Melissastar and alone. 2nd Chance is just bigger and bigger. They do far more architectural salvage and really put HD to shame. If you want big, old, thick beams, or flooring or anything period, they'd be the place to go.

They do a lot of entire kitchens. I just wish some of those people who buy the beaded inset cabinets would just redonate those they don't use. Someone (ok, I) would have use for a few of them..

I haven't been to the Loading Dock in Baltimore, simply because I haven't stopped to figure out where it is.

The marmoleum selection at CF is dwindling. Carpet tiles, tile in general, bathroom fixtures, doors, and hardware is what they have right now.

I went back today. Got 10, 10' 2x4s and 2, 10' 6x6s. Can't pass the latter up. Fun.