Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
huango

hood venting for low-ceiling kitchen?

huango
11 years ago

Hola,

What kind of hood venting system do you have for your low ceiling height kitchen?

Would appreciate pictures of your kitchen hood if you're in the same low-ceiling height club.

My kitchen is 92" or 91" (after the radiant flooring heating goes in).

91-36 base cabinets = 55"

55-29" from countertop to bottom of hood = 26" left for hood, transition piece, ducting up and left (to outside wall).

That means my hood can only be ~10-12" tall.

Which also limits me on the CFM that I can get! The max that comes in such short hoods = 600.

(boohooo: I want 1000-1400)

(but anything is better than the 0 CFM I had - PO didn't put in venting.)

Late for school bus,

thanks,

Amanda

Comments (13)

• Buehl
    11 years ago

600cfms should be plenty unless you grill indoors.

• SparklingWater
    11 years ago

I was looking at the Kobe CH7730SQB under the cabinet vent hood linked below. Nice sleek look, not as angulated as some. It goes up to 760 cfms with 4.6 sones (measure of noise-fairly low for 760 cfm), and it says it's 10" height

(Hood Dimension
    (W x D x H) (CH7730SQB) 29-3/4" x 22" x 10"
    (CH7736SQB) 35-3/4" x 22" x 10"

Under Cabinet CH-77 SERIES
    Model No.:CH7730SQB (30"), CH7736SQB (36")

18-Gauge Commercial Grade Stainless Steel - Satin Finish

Twin turbine propeller motor- yikes (see specs)

Btw: have you checked your city/state code on ventilation? If not, it's good to find out if there are specific requirements on vents and MUA (make up air).

Good luck.

Here is a link that might be useful: Kobe vent:

• breezygirl
    11 years ago

My ceilings are about 91.5". I scored this Rangecraft Viser hood on clearance from the manufacturer. I had to have the duct cover portion (its all one piece) cut down to fit.

I don't know that you are necessarily limited to 10-12". Guess I don't understand that.

• huango
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hola,
    Anyone have pictures of their hood duct work? I may not be fully understanding this ducting business...

OR who do I contact to custom fit a custom venting system into my 42" antique copper hood shell?

Because of the front curve of the copper hood, a standard hood liner doesn't fit in. I've been talking w/ Mark of Tradewind and he's got his engineers brainstorming.

Sorry, I didn't mention that my hood = 42" wide.
    Sparklingwater: thanks for the suggestion, but w/ quick research, I only found 30", 36" or 48".

Breezy: Beautiful hood and kitchen!!!
    You wouldn't have a picture of the duct work w/out the duct cover on, yes?

My hood vents up and then bangs 90degree to left to go outside the house.
    Thus I need this transition piece, to go into the elbow piece:
    so transition = 7" tall + elbow ~9" tall = 16".
    Since I have 26" from ceiling to bottom of hood, 26-16 leaves me 10" for the hood height.

thank you very much for your help,
    Amanda

• huango
    Original Author
    11 years ago

willtv: yes, great helpful picture.
    More questions?
    What piece is used to go from your hood to the elbow?
    Is your hood opening round?
    What brand hood is that? Do they come in 42"?

Buehl: yes, 600cfm is great.
    I've just been DREAMING for a lot more since the start of this kitchen planning.
    I cook a lot of fish, bacon, garlic/oil, and my house always smells like old food.
    Living w/out a hood, you can't imagine the grease all over my cabs (and furniture). When we were packing up for the demo, I felt grease on the glasses that's been inside of the upper cabinets.

thank you,
    Amanda

• colin3
    11 years ago

An HVAC person or metal fabricator should have ideas about doing the duct transitions -- there's no reason for you to be limited to the stock transition pieces shown above.

Is something preventing you from venting straight backward, rather than upward and then backward? Straight back saves a lot of space, and should be an option with a liner ... or you can make your own modification.

Finally, there is sometimes room in between ceiling joists that you can use for ducting.

• willtv
    11 years ago

Amanda, Our hood is a Proline.
    They are solidly built, perform well and yes, they make them in 42" widths.
    We've had ours for 2 years and haven't had any problems although, there have been some recent reports of poor customer service.
    It I had one criticism it would be that the under hood lights could be brighter, but they may have improved that since we got our hood.
    The duct opening on our hood is a 7" round outlet.
    Since we didn't have enough space above the cabs, we used a 7" to 6" round transition piece between the hood and the elbow.
    Unfortunately, this reduces the effective CFM to about 700 but it still works well.
    Installing the largest duct you can will provide a few advantages.
    It will allow you to install a higher CFM hood.
    Even if you don't regularly run the hood at its maximum, it will run more quietly at reduced speed.
    Also, depending on your style of cooking, a higher CFM hood will better handle the smoke and grease from woking and grilling.
    Try posting over at the appliance forum.
    The folks over there are very knowledgeable and helpful.

Here is a link that might be useful: Proline Hoods

• palimpsest
    11 years ago

30" above the rangetop may be too high for the capture of a 600 CFM or less hood. Some of the range hoods in this category have recommended distances between 24" -27" above cooktop height for adequate capture.

• davidro1
    11 years ago

huango, when you buy the "hood" you will see it has a hole ready to accept the ductwork of the kind you posted above in your images yesterday. PDF documents show it too. The hood manufacturer mentions it.

At the hardware store they will explain what you need to do to connect two or three pieces of ductwork together.

If you are buying a "blower" motor, the manufacturer will tell you the diameter of the round duct it needs. Some people make their own hood shape, get a filter, a blower motor and a 3-speed control / switch, and they call it done.

• huango
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Colin3:
    - thank you for reminding me about space between ceiling joists.
    I THOUGHT my joists run in opposite direction, but after closer inspection, they run parallel to the direction of venting out. Yay: so I get another ~7inches!!! YAY!

- I will check w/ my HVAC person about customizing the duct transition pieces.
    - The back of the hood = my familyroom. And upstairs = the guest room.

But w/ PALIMPSEST's input, I may get another 2 inches, if I drop the hood to countertop height to 27" to increase effectiveness.

Willtv: Thank you for the great info on the Proline/your experience.
    But weren't you nervous w/ all the negative feedback? I don't know if I can pull the trigger.
    I really like the high (er than Broan) CFM for the great price.
    W/ my layout, I do not have the luxury of a quiet hood, but all I care is that it'll suck the grease and smell of garlic and oil, etc, out!

Davidro1: chicken or egg?
    Do I buy the hood that I want, and then fit it to my house? Or see what my limitations are due to my layout to deduce on which hood to purchase?
    There are so many beautiful hoods that I know will not fit into my layout/ceiling/up-left-out layout.

Thank you,
    Amanda

• phiwwy
    11 years ago

Our ceilings are 90". Here is our math:

90" ceiling height - 37" base - 30" minimum clearance =
    23" high hood.

Here's how it breaks down: 37" for base cabs and counter (34 1/2" cab, 1 1/4" granite + 1 1/8" for the grates (Wolf gas rangetop) = 36 7/8" round up to 37".

Wolf says the hood should be mounted 30 to 36" from the cooktop. I was nervous about making it that tight so instead of using all 23" remaining for the hood, I ordered the Modernaire to be 21" high, which puts us at 32" above the grates, well within code in our town.

Note that we almost had to lower it today 1 3/4" because the garage on the other side of this wall has a lower ceiling and the opening of the hood is so near the very top of the hood.

Advice - figure out how it will vent and where that ductwork needs to go BEFORE you buy a hood. I was very nervous today, but the sheet metal guy built a transition from the hood opening in the back to meet the eventual duct run in the garage. Whew!

Minimum clearance req'd is 30".

• palimpsest
    11 years ago

I had a range hood in a ceiling that was 6'7", but ducted through the joists. They make some pretty shallow units.

Read the specs about capture distance for whatever one you choose.