Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
donaleen

Kitchen Project review

Donaleen Kohn
11 years ago

Now that this phase of our project is complete (new island, cooktop, vent hood, and marmoleum floor), I thought I'd do a bit of a review on how it went.

The project itself went pretty smoothly. We did a lot of the work ourselves except for demolition, plumbing, electrician and marmoleum.

We were held up for a few weeks because our floor guy hurt his shoulder. The Regal Select DH used on the island cabinets has a color issue and will have to be repainted. Other than that, no issues. I love all that space in the island drawers. And it is true that drawers are more convenient.

Here is one side

{{!gwi}}

The VentAHood works fine but I still think it was a lot of money for what it really is.

Here is what it all cost.

Comments (9)

• onedogedie
    11 years ago

It's good to see what the marmoleum & installation cost. Food for thought in my decision process. (What are Vinji guts?)

I had to go back and look at your island in your "Year 17" post to see it with the drawers closed. Partial inset? My dream cabs! Mine will not be as sharp as yours though. Nice detail with the edge banding. And the marmoleum drawer liners are inspired!

This December will be Year 16 for me, though there haven't been any cosmetic improvements in that time, and sometimes I wonder if there have been any functional improvements. Time flies!

• likewhatyoudo
    11 years ago

That is awesome to see the breakdown of cost. Do you have pictures of the finished kitchen yet?

Maybe a new post of how much did you spend and budget breakdown with real numbers, time etc, would be helpful to others planning. Its impolite to ask how much someone spent on a project, but very informative to know when planning a project.

• Donaleen Kohn
    Original Author
    11 years ago

onedogedie... the area that got marmoleum included the kitchen, back entry, pantry and under the stairs closet... I think around 400 square feet. Vinje guts are the ducting and such that connect from the hood to the roof (Vinje is the name of the metal works business). My DH calls the drawers half lapped. Old kitchens of the 20s usually had half lapped drawers and inset doors (and we will, too). The walnut strips and plugs on the drawers were very labor intensive but cool. The 24 drawers took 122 hours to build and prep for paint and the walnut trim was 30% of the time.

rtwilliams.... the numbers I provided were the actual costs. I don't have an original estimate that I preserved. Sorry. The plumber cost more than we expected as did the wood for the cabinets. We didn't start with an overall budget as such. It was more a case of line item by line item picking out items that we were okay with the cost. The hood is a bit of an exception. It just cost too much, in my opinion.

We didn't track how long it took for most of our work, with the exception of the drawer building. We do have a long detailed list of the tasks. Would that help?

We do not yet have a finished kitchen. We still have the sink counter and cabinets to do. Our kitchen so far has probably cost around 25K over 17 years. That includes this project. Completed items outside this project are a new kitchen window,wood for trim, painting, hardware, lights, refrigerator, oven, cabinets on one wall. My estimate for the sink cabinets, sink, counter top, back splash and upper cabs is around 8k.... we shall see. And we will also see if I get my transom windows and a new back door.

• Mags438
    11 years ago

we are approaching our kitchen reno in the same fashion. Line item vs an o really budget. I would find it helpful with any info you could share that would help during The planning stages.

• Donaleen Kohn
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I'd be glad to share but I am not sure what you are looking for. I don't think everybody approaches things the same way.

• a2gemini
    11 years ago

Wow!! thanks for sharing. Love the first picture and can't wait to see the rest. I am not sharing our costs as DH doesn't realize how much over budget we went. Oops! (Electrical was a lot more than planned plus added some items) He know we went over but I blamed on the pocket door and the pull out pantry....

• Mags438
    11 years ago

Sorry I wasn't clear. I was referring to the long detailed task list. I'm always afraid I will forget to include something and by the time I remember, it'll be too late. Thanks donaleen

• Donaleen Kohn
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Here is the detailed list page 1

• Donaleen Kohn
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Here is page 2

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths