Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
niki_friedman

Buying marble directly from fabricator

Niki Friedman
9 years ago

Just curious if this is common or not? The fabricator who does a lot of work for our design build happens to carry Danby marble, our first choice. Any disadvantages to buying directly from the fabricator IF they carry exactly what you are looking for? Hoping to save some money in the process!

Comments (14)

• millworkman
    9 years ago

Who is going to install it?

• Niki Friedman
    Original Author
    9 years ago

No idea- I will find out. The install cost is included in our budget but I don't know who will actually do the work.

• zeebee
    9 years ago

Our fabricator/installer stocks one marble, white carrera, at their small yard and it's our first choice for counters. If saving money is your goal, it might be a good way to go. We will save a ton ($60/sq ft installed vs. $88) if we can find what we like from the fabricator's more limited selection instead of purchasing slabs with a wholesaler.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    9 years ago

I'm not seeing any savings here.

• christina222_gw
    9 years ago

I bought my quartzite from my fabricator. They've got a small Yard, maybe 50 different stones. It worked out fine for me. I looked at giant yards with way more stones but in the end this place had what I wanted and they did the fabrication and install.

• Vertise
    9 years ago

Lots of places both fabricate and sell their own stone around here; delivery and installation by them. Who else would do that part? Less people and places involved, should lower costs to the consumer.

• Bunny
    9 years ago

snookums, that was my situation for my bathroom counter. I was dealing with one business for everything. It worked out really well.

• romy718
    9 years ago

We had a difficult time finding our Danby Marble slabs so definitely go take a look at his slabs. It would be nice if you saved some $, but more importantly, find a skilled fabricator that works with marble.

• PRO
    Granite City Services
    9 years ago

I am a fabricator.

There are a couple of ways it is advantageous for our customers to select from our stock vs. selecting slabs of either of the slab warehouses that are less than 15 minutes away.

Most importantly, using our stock saves them money since I only have to charge the job for the necessary material cost. For example a typical 75 sq. ft. kitchen will require 1.2 -1.4 slabs. From my stock I can allocate partial slabs. If the customer picks slabs at the slab supplier I have to figure the cost of full slabs. The remainder is waste. (I already have thousands of remnants so the remnant material is of no value to me.)

Additionally, we "cherry pick" the most attractive bundles from the larger supply at the slab warehouse. We are there regularly with customers and can tag the best bundles for our own inventory.

• Niki Friedman
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks all :) We are extremely lucky that our fabricator uses a lot of Danby. Lots from which to choose and they are getting another shipment of Mountain White early next week :)

• romy718
    9 years ago

Please take pics of the slabs you are contemplating...oh heck, we need some eye candy, post pics of anything pretty.

• Niki Friedman
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ha! Ok Romy... here's my first attempt at posting pics. This is helpful in that I should be posting my layout in the next few days

Calcutta

Carerra

White Mountain Danby Honed

This is the very corner of the Danby slab. It had the most going on. The rest was mostly white with some action here and there. Going back early next week to see their latest shipment of Danby!

• susanlynn2012
    9 years ago

I love that White Marble Danby Honed slab! Maybe I should get a sample of the honed since so far I am in love with the two samples of the Imperial Danby Marble that came today that is polished.

• romy718
    9 years ago

Thanks viennamommy! I'm partial to the Danby.