Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lisa_wi

Finished Kitchen ~ Green and Cream using Cliq Studios cabs

lisa_wi
11 years ago

Well I'm finally here! Just the backsplash left at this point. Our house was built in 1929, but the previous owners gutted and remodeled about 8 years ago. Unfortunately they went with oak, kind of a funky layout, and 30" uppers in a room with almost 9 foot ceilings. They cabinets hadn't held up that great either, so we decided to replace all the cabinets and change the layout. We bought this house 18 months ago when we decided to downsize so that I could stay at home with our 3 kids. With that said it was a relatively low budget remodel.

Before in all its oak and cranberry glory ~

and after ~ We pushed the refrigerator back into part of our front hall closet and turned a G into a galley. New 42" uppers and (almost) all drawers. I love the new layout!

The details:

Cabinets: Cliq Studios Tea Leaf lowers, Painted Linen uppers

Counters: Black Pearl Granite

Sink: 30" Kohler Whitehaven in biscuit

Faucet: Kohler Simplice in stainless steel

Ceiling Light: Rejuvenation Jefferson in black with glass shade from ebay

Sink Light: Hi-Lite Manufacturing Warehouse Shade 8" in Vanilla Cream

Undercabinet Lights: ProLED 1.5 watt strips

Peninsula Legs and Apron: Osborne Wood Products St. Simons Island Post and beaded apron painted by me to match

Hardware: Cup Pulls are Thomasville Garner 2 3/4" Cup Pull in matte black, Knobs are Liberty P40005C in flat black, both from Home Depot

Stools: 24" Saddle Seat Stool from Walmart

Flooring: Original maple with a little repair/replacement done

Wall paint: Sherwin Williams Compatible Cream

Trim paint: Sherwin Williams Creamy

I think its helpful to have a budget breakdown especially for lower end kitchens so I thought I'd include that as well:

Cabinets, crown, peninsula legs and apron: $5,500

Granite Counters: $2,200

Other Building Materials: $550

GC's Labor (including installing cabs, framing new closet): $1,600

GC Fee: $400

Lighting: $310

Plumbing Fixtures: $1,200

Hardware: $170

Plumbing: $1,285

Electrical: $1,200

Drywall: $1,100

HVAC: $100

Paint: $50

Accessories: $150

Total: about $16,000 which was pretty much the total budget we started with. Some things shifted back and forth - more on lighting, less on electrical sub, more on drywall, less on plumbing fixtures.

Comments (63)

• 1929Spanish
    11 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Very nice....love the green cabinets (we used green as well). It looks like a really comfortable kitchen to work in.

• modern_mom35
    11 years ago

So pretty! The farmhouse sink looks awesome in that space!

• nap101
    11 years ago

Love the kitchen!
    It's really really close to my design scheme so it's nice to see another interpretation. (I also have planned white uppers and gray/green lowers with the whitehaven sink and a dark countertop.)

One question. I like the clean look of not having a backsplash. Is that intentional or do you plan to add that later? I'm looking at your layout and thinking no backsplash looks good!

• ideagirl2
    11 years ago

That looks great! Can you tell me, how are Cliq cabinets shipped? Are they flat or already put together? Did you install them yourselves?

• enduring
    11 years ago

Charming! Thanks for sharing your new space. It is lovely.

• Mags438
    11 years ago

What an awesome change! And on a very reasonable budget. Very nice job.

• go_figure01
    11 years ago

Great job Lisa, and thanks for including the price breakdown because it really does help! I am not familiar w/Cliq but will certainly look at that website now. Your cabinets are beautiful!

It is awesome that you made the choice to be w/your children and are still able to have this amazing kitchen. You will not regret your decision, they grow so fast, and you will build so many memories in your new kitchen that will stay with them forever. I wish you the very best!!

HEY! It looks like you have a peek-a-boo window in the before pics into another room. Did you keep it or did something go in its place? I am thinking of opening a wall bwtn my kitchen and living space and looking for ideas. Did/do you like yours?

• taggie
    11 years ago

Absolutely lovely! The colors are beautiful together, and I really like the counters with your cabs. Recessing the fridge made a world of difference, and the galley layout looks so functional. What an improvement! Great job.

• lisa_wi
    Original Author
    11 years ago

trailrunner ~ you asked for it ;) I'd love to share more pics! We really have done a complete facelift on the house. Mostly paint and new carpet for the fun stuff (new roof and garage door for the not so fun stuff). I have painted most of the trim with some left to go on the first floor, and painted EVERY.SINGLE.WALL and half the ceilings, and ripped up all the old carpet upstairs all with a 3 year old at home plus 7 and 9 year olds. I really do love doing it though!!

The rest of the first floor:
    As you walk in the house there is a powder room near the entry:
    Before ~

After ~

The living room ~ I've since painted the window behind the sofa and the trim around the large window and stained the large window much darker

The powder room is straight ahead, DR to the immediate left, and kitchen to the left here:

The dining room before ~ there was a half removed wallpaper border in the middle:

After ~ we built our own plate rail and I've since painted the baseboards and window. The opening on the back wall lets light in from the PO's mudroom-ish addition on the back of the house

My favorite project (other than the kitchen) ~ the painted stair runner. These stairs had an icky old berber carpet when we moved in. They separate the dining room to the left, stairs to the FR and kitchen to the right.

The family room ~ added on as part of the PO's remodel. I plan to gel stain the cabinets darker when I get around to it and maybe add some slate tile around the fireplace. The windows have been painted now.

• lisa_wi
    Original Author
    11 years ago

nap101 ~ I don't mind it plain, but I do intend to add a backsplash. This is one of my inspiration kitchens, and one thing I found I liked was the lack of backsplash or solid color backsplashes matching the upper cabs really made the uppers less imposing and made the room feel bigger IMO.

[

[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/berkeley-traditional-kitchen-traditional-kitchen-san-francisco-phvw-vp~469588)

[Traditional Kitchen design[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/traditional-kitchen-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_709~s_2107) by San Francisco Architect Lorin Hill, Architect

I want to use a subway tile, but I'm thinking about this Horus Art tile if the colors are right. Now to get someone to actually send me the right sample...

Here is a link that might be useful: Horus Art Cristalli Melange Sabbia Tile

• lisa_wi
    Original Author
    11 years ago

go_figure01 ~ the peekaboo window opening is still there. We removed the countertop that was there and just finished it with drywall so its not as noticeable but you still see it on the wall to the left of the DW. I like it because its connected to our FR where the kids usually are so its easier to keep an eye on them. Before it was kind of a pain because there was a counter in front of it but now that I can walk right up to it its even better. If you look at my FR photos above you can see it there above the leather sofa. The FR is three steps down which is why it looks so high up.

• lisa_wi
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Forgot one question. The cabinets are shipped assembled. Mine came stacked and wrapped on two pallets plus two separate boxes for trim pieces. My contractor did the install. The only tricky parts were our crazy floor with a super high point in one corner and the fact that they don't have a cabinet for a tall apron front sink so he spent probably 2-3 hours building one per Cliqs drawings. Had I gone with a short apron sink it would have been easier.

• dilly_ny
    11 years ago

Wow! Looks great. Nice transformation. Enjoy!

• trailrunner
    11 years ago

WOW !! Lisa you have done a wonderful job !! I love the clean lines and crisp colors you chose for the whole house What a wonderful space to raise a family. I am going to post a pic of my master bath because it will make you smile...we have twin windows !!

My DR is also that chocolate brown with wide white molding. I love the nod to the Craftsman style in the added on family room and the skylights. Our PO's had added several skylights to our home and we added more. We have 7 now :) Everything about your home is so pleasant. I wish I had half your talent. c

• rhome410
    11 years ago

I bet the 1929 house is thanking you for getting rid of that 80s/90s kitchen! You did such a fantastic job, and the powder room and dining room are wonderfully improved, too. I really love the wainscoting and chocolate color in the powder room. Enjoy, enjoy. Really lovely.

• lisa_wi
    Original Author
    11 years ago

You all are so sweet! When we moved I took a look at what we owned and especially the former dining room (now living room) rug we had. Everything came back to those same colors of yellow/gold, olive green, and brick red so I decided to use them in different combinations throughout the first floor.

Trailrunner its funny you mention that window. I don't really love it but I do like it much better now that I've painted it. I really REALLY love paint. And master bath what's that? Sigh. PO's did the big addition but a master bath was not part of it. Its going to get a little crazy in our shared upstairs bathroom in a few more years...

• crl_
    11 years ago

That kitchen is just beautiful! Thank you for sharing and especially for the budget breakdown.

• lala girl
    11 years ago

Holy Moly - that is gorgeous! The kitchen looks wonderful, so bright and organized and fresh. It really is a wonderful space - and I cannot believe all that you have done on the rest of your house - it looks amazing!

• gsciencechick
    11 years ago

Lisa, your kitchen and your whole house are amazing. So much character. My friend has the same bay window and I just love it.

• a2gemini
    11 years ago

Lisa - Great job on creating a stunning kitchen without breaking the bank! I love your kitchen but then you showed the rest of your house!!! What a great job everywhere! I wanted to wait til I was on the computer vs my iphone to take a look at this beauty! Now, we have to help you out of the ABB club (all but backsplash club)
    Thanks for sharing with us!!

• wi-sailorgirl
    11 years ago

This is cracking me up .. I looked at your kitchen and thought, "I know that kitchen." Turns out I follow your contractor on Facebook and he posted a few pictures of it there. I love every bit of it! It turned out great.

• ijensen
    11 years ago

Very beautiful!!! I am in the middle of a kitchen remodel also and hope for as good of results as you have had...:0)

• chiefy
    11 years ago

What a beautiful transformation! I love the color combination you chose.

• munchladyland
    11 years ago

Wow! What a transformation. I love having the two colors in the galley. I have a galley too and lately have been wondering how that would look. Enjoy it! It's lovely!

And I'm going to look into Cliq cabinets myself. I've posted on here lately about how I'm surprised at how high the cabinet quotes are that I've been getting. It may be that cabinet-making is taking a less regional approach and becoming more like an internet business would be. I just had a Kitchen Magic consultation last week and while it won't work for me with all the structural issues we have, it was interesting to see how they have really turned the renovating process into a manufacturing line. Not what alot would want to see, but it was interesting.

• steph2000
    11 years ago

Lisa, I am trying to catch up with GW action in lurkmode but I had to sign in to tell you how much I love your kitchen! The two-tone looks great and the galley layout with that recessed fridge is such an improvement. Was it hard to give up the closet and are you missing it? It seems to have been a totally sound sacrifise in your case!

You now have me looking at the Cliq cabinets myself, along with some others here. I'm also looking into Barkers and IKEA isn't totally off the table, but it seems like there is much more options to customize with Cliq?

And while I am at it, your powder room is just so great. Those before-and-afters say it all. Great, great look. Love the dining room update, too. You have good taste and a great eye.

Enjoy your new kitchen!

• lisa_wi
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks everyone! We went to Ann Sacks today and looked at tile for the backsplash. DH is a Kohler employee and they are a Kohler company so he gets a decent discount. Plus its the only real tile store I don't have to drive 60 miles to get to so I think we will end up with something Ann Sacks (high quality problem right?). Before I get into what I'm thinking, given the Ann Sacks requirement is there anything you'd suggest from their line?

Steph2000 ~ we have large double closets by our back entrance which are used for all our family stuff and we really only cut the front hall closet in half so still plenty of room for guest stuff there. We went from this:

To this (must find a mirror and finish painting the trim!):

I looked at Ikea for a while (hadn't heard of Barkers so I never looked at them) but the combination of not having the right width cabinets for my small space, the store being 3 hours away, and the fact that I just didn't love the detail on the Adel off white once I did see them in person pushed them out of contention for me.

• susanlynn2012
    11 years ago

I ordered samples that arrived of the white and the linen and now I am going to order samples of the cherry stain and the lighter cherry stain to decide. I had wanted cherry 2 years ago and then changed my mind and wanted a white kitchen last year due to wanting a bright happy kitchen as I have no windows in the kitchen and only one sliding door to the outside. Now I am 75% sure I want white but 25% wanting a cherry stain. I wish I had an island or space for an island since they I would do white cabinets and a cherry stained island. So far the two samples are made very well and I love the recessed door. Thanks lisa_wi for letting us know. After my deadline, I will compare with the Ikea Adel. I had wanted the Shiloh Inset in the Polar White with the recessed door but the 4 of my cabinets will have bars in the middle of them due to the same and that bothers me and then the price became a little more than I budgeted.

• susanlynn2012
    11 years ago

The samples arrived and they are all very nice but the cherry is dark dark and is not red enough for me. I love the maple stained Caramel by itself but not with my Brazilian Cherry floors in the next room as the kitchen is an open kitchen to the family room. The Linen is pretty but too dark against my lighter BM Bone White walls that I do not plan to repaint in the next room as the cathedral ceiling makes it too costly. The white is a nice white but a little whiter than I like but still not a stark white. So after my October 15th deadline I am going to bring the sample to Ikea and compare the color and compare the color to the Shiloh Polar White that I had fallen in love with and then get a price from Cliq Studio Cabinets as the quality is so nice and go from there.

• mcamoros
    11 years ago

Lisa-wi, I've been looking at cliq for a month or so and have a pretty big order already designed with them for about 30 cabs. I'm getting trigger shy because I'm not sold on the paint finish. I'm doing white shaker same as you. Given that you have little kids, which may lead to messes, :) how dirty do these white cabs get? Do they pick up more dirt and grease at all because they don't have as much of a lacquer finish? Have you found the white ones to stain at all? The samples seem well constructed but the paint finish seemed like a paper matte rather than an eggshell, and it led me to think they may stain more easily than silkier cabinets. Would live to hear your impression of their durability thus far after using them! Thank you!!

• lisa_wi
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hydrangea16 - the cabinets are looking great! It may help that my bottom cabinets are green, and the plates, bowls, and kids glasses are in a drawer so the kids never touch the upper cabinets. I am conscious of using the knobs most of the time as well. They were looking a little grimy after installation but I just used a little Method cleaner and they cleaned right up.

• michoumonster
    11 years ago

lisa, your whole house and kitchen are so charming! you are so handy too!
    i love all of the ann sacks tile, it is great you can get it at a discount. so envious!! cannot wait to see what you choose.

• islanddevil
    11 years ago

Wow what a beautiful kitchen. Love love the tea green color cabinets.
    2 most shocking things: That you created this kitchen on a tight budget AND that the original was only 9 years old, eeek!
    Never heard of Cliq, but I too will be checking it out.

And your bathroom is terrific. Amazing transformation primarialy with paint and wainscotting. Totally upgraded the look of the space, especially the window.

Love it!

• Iowacommute
    11 years ago

Lisa_wi-you have amazing taste. That style, materials, and colors are what I expect for a home from that area. You guys did a great job!

I'm going to be honest-I have never liked wainscoting-until now! Our next house will be a Craftsman transitional ranch which will be built on my in-law's farm, and I want it to feel like it's been there forever so I may have to copy your powder room.

• PeterH2
    11 years ago

Hm - beaded wainscoting around a WC? Only if you can persuade all the men you know to sit down...

• lisa_wi
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I actually prefer cleaning the relatively smooth beadboard to the textured drywall. But really, the toilet and floor seem to be the bigger issues in my house which includes husband and two boys.

• drybean
    11 years ago

It's beautiful Lisa. You did a fantastic job. Thanks so much for all the helpful information you posted. I'm also investigating Cliq.

• lisa_wi
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Adding on my backsplash reveal thread link!

Here is a link that might be useful: Backsplash Reveal

• susanlynn2012
    11 years ago

Lisa_wi, I love the new backsplash and the cabinets. I had a set-back of Hurricane Sandy and being without power and cable for about 1.5 weeks so now I am behind in my work. But I intend to have someone help me measure my kitchen so I can get a quote. I am still trying to decide between the white or the linen. I wish there was a white in between (not so light and not so dark) but I may choose the white. The linen looks so white in your kitchen but looks so dark in the samples I received. I love the style of the cabinet doors and drawers and the quality of the samples. The Cherry stained sample was too dark for me and not red enough and the other wood sample was too light so did not compliment the Brazilian Cherry floors in the open family room.

• lisa_wi
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Lynn2006 I agree with the linen being pretty dark. I ordered the linen first and found it too yellow then I ordered the white and knew that would never work. Our trim is Sherwin Williams Creamy and while the cabs are a little darker, the white would have been too bright for our house. I ordered the full size doors before I placed my order also and it helped me feel good about my decision. I love the Linen now. I think its all relative though. I got my sink in Biscuit so there isn't anything in the kitchen that is really white. Good luck deciding!

• susanlynn2012
    11 years ago

Lisa_wi, maybe that is what I should do is order to full size doors in both shades of white before committing. From looking at your kitchen, the cabinets look perfect in color so maybe it depends on what else I will have in my kitchen. I wish I was handy or had a handy husband or boyfriend since I will have to hire out most of the labor but I am ready to get rid of my builder grade oak cabinets and I changed my mind in painting them.

• lisa_wi
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi everyone - thanks again for all of your comments on my kitchen! I'm still in love and definitely enjoy spending time in there now.

If I could ask a favor - CliqStudios (the cabinet company I used) is having a makeover contest. I could use all the votes I can get to push me into the final round of professional juding. The top prize is $5k, so basically a refund of my cabinet cost!! Voting is via facebook. Once per person per day from now until March 15. Thanks in advance for your votes!!

When you go to the link you will need to like CliqStudios. I think my kitchen should then be at the top (make sure its my photos and labeled Lisa B).

Here is a link that might be useful: Vote for my kitchen if you would please

• susanlynn2012
    11 years ago

Lisa, I just voted and found your Lisa B kitchen before and after pictures on Page 11. I love your kitchen. It is such an inspiration to me as it looks great at a reasonable price and I love the samples I have here from CliqStudios Cabinets. I can't wait to get estimates to begin my project after tax season.

• lisa_wi
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Lynn thank you so much for taking the time to vote! I really do appreciate it and best of luck with your plans.

• enduring
    11 years ago

Voted, good luck:)

• Iowacommute
    11 years ago

Voted, and I'll try to remember to vote everyday! So exciting!

• lisa_wi
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for the votes!!!

• jaynees
    11 years ago

I just posted a new thread about voting in the same contest for my own kitchen, also done by CliqStudios - and it was deleted. I guess only one board member can ask people to vote? ;)

In any event, I love your dual-tone kitchen with the white cabinets and the darker color below. Your jet black countertop is fantastic! Way to go - that's a great renovation for your budget!

Good luck in the contest...

• jaynees
    11 years ago

I take it back! My thread is now showing up, too. I guess more than two board members CAN ask for votes!! *lol*

I still think you did a great job with your kitchen! And I forgot to say that I love the farmhouse sink. I've always loved them, and debated mightily about whether or not to put one in our kitchen. In the end, Silgranit won our battle. But our next house will definitely have a farmhouse sink SOMEwhere - even if it's in the laundry room where only I get to enjoy it!

• lisa_wi
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks Jaynees. I opted to add my request to my reveal thread so the people who had previously commented on my kitchen would see it. I figured it wouldn't be seen as spam if it was part of my old thread. Good luck to you!

For anyone looking for my kitchen in the contest - it will be on page 11, third from the bottom, Lisa B.

• Holly- Kay
    10 years ago

What a lovely kitchen! You did just a beautiful job with everything! I love your cab colors and the new layout! The rest of your home was a treat for my eyes! Just an absolutely outstanding project!!!!