Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
keepingitsimple_gw

Granite edges, pics pls, we need to choose

keepingitsimple
15 years ago

Hello, We're getting ready to be measured for granite, and we're still not sure which edging we should use. DH is accident prone, so we don't want an edge that can chip easily. Can you tell us your favorite edge, show us pics of your edges and/or let us know how your choice is working out for you? Thanks!

Comments (38)

• Gina_W
    15 years ago

What kind of granite? That should play a role in your decision.

• keepingitsimple
    Original Author
    15 years ago

we've choosen Uba Tuba, our kitchen is a traditional u shaped style, has older cabs in that orangy honey oak color, which we hope one day to reface or replace.

• huango
    15 years ago

Is there any surcharge for special edges from your fabricator?
    For us, it was almost 2x the cost of the granite just to have ogee edge, which we did not know. That was PRE-GW; we were such novices.
    So when we got the other granite, we choose to stay w/ the pencil edge, which is nice and clean line, and not that easy to chip, and if it did, the chips/whatever wouldn't have been that noticeable.
    Note: in the 6years that we had the granite, we never chipped the granite, even w/ 2 kids.

I think it also depends on the style of your kitchen. For me, I wouldn't get ogee edge if I had a modern kitchen. I would like ogee for a Tuscan kitchen or something more elaborate...

Amanda

• keepingitsimple
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Ah, yes, there is are 4 free edges and then they charge for the fancier cuts. The four free edges are squared edge, a 1/4 beveled edge, bullnose and half bull nose. We really would prefer to stay with a free edge, my DH is leaning towards the half bullnose, but I don't recall ever seeing it on a stone and am having a hard time visualizing it. I liked the bullnose, but it's my understanding that when there is a waterspill the bullnose directs the water onto the cabinets which the half bullnose doesn't.

• pbrisjar
    15 years ago

We have the full bullnose. It was not my first choice but it was the only one Hubby liked ("easy to keep clean"). It's too modern-looking for my tastes. Half bullnose wasn't really an option for us as we used 2 cm granite.

Here it is head-on:

From Kitchen

From the side:

From Kitchen

A half bullnose would essentially stop where you see the line. Our kitchen is still not fully operational so I can't really speak to the spillage issue. (Though I wish I'd heard that one as it may have worked to convince Hubby to get the ogee edge I really wanted.)

Here is a link that might be useful: All kinds of pics here

• igloochic
    15 years ago

I have a little bit of everything so let me give you some examples.

I didn't choose by price, but instead by what worked best for the design, so I'm not much help there. I'm sure everything cost more than it should have...since it always does :oP

Here's a Cove/Ogee or Ogee Royal:
    (The backsplash edge is an straight edge on a french curve, but the front of the counter is the Ogee Royal)

This is an ogee. It's hard to photograph the onyx with all the sun shining on it but I tried:

This is a modified Dupont (kind of a cross between the dupont and the ogee): I wanted to show this pic to you because it shows a corner. A big key to keeping edges easy to live with is softening the corners like this, verses having sharp edges, which is standard with a dupont and many ogee corners:

My favorite edge (aside from a marine edge, which I've seen in granite but know it costs more than God's overcoat):
    A nice simple "Straight" or eased edge (which means the edges aren't hard corners, but have about 1/18th softened at all edges:

And just in case you can afford God's over coat...this is a marine edge in Stainless. The one I saw was on uba tuba granite, and the little lip around the edge was done with uba tuba as well, and I guess glued and polished (to perfection because it looked like the stone was all one piece):

Personally if there's one look I just hate, and think is totally unfunctional, it's that full bullnose. It's so dated to me...but that's just me :) I would much prefer the half bullnose to the full, but personally, I really just love the clean lines of the eased edge I have in the kitchen. That look has been around since the 1800's and is still going strong so to me, it's a timeless feel.

• keepingitsimple
    Original Author
    15 years ago

pbrisjar thanks for sharing your bullnose edge, I love the stone color! And it appears from the pics you've shared (thank you for the link) you and your DH have been working very hard on your kitchen, I'm sure it will be gorgeous when it's done and the bullnose will fit in perfectly.

Igloochick, wow, you have so many cool stones (and edges) in your house, they're really wonderful and food for thought. I actually saw the stone with the modified dupont edge in red last week at the place we found our granite at. What a beautiful stone! Like nothing I've ever seen before!

thank you both for your input and pics!

• mdmc
    15 years ago

I think it depends on what look you want. We chose and eased edge. We wanted our cabinets to be the star. We are very happy with the way it looks.

• pbrisjar
    15 years ago

"Personally if there's one look I just hate, and think is totally unfunctional, it's that full bullnose. It's so dated to me...but that's just me :) "

Ouch. Thanks i-chic. As if I don't dislike it enough already. Just for that I won't offer to send back the Danze potfiller :-P

k.i.s - the stone is Arcobaleno. It wasn't my first choice for a counter but it is pretty darned cool.

• keepingitsimple
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I can't imagine any granite looking outdated, that said even if some consider it to be, the beauty of the stone which has a very pretty and unusual look to it, will be the star when your kitchen is done. The one thing I really like about the pics both you and Igloochick posted... all of the granites are different and unique from what is typically seen. Love that!

• edlakin
    15 years ago

we have a large ogee:

• susanilz5
    15 years ago

This is a demi bullnose, or a 1/2 bullnose. I do like it, very easy to care for and no chipping. It's also comfortable to lean up against when I'm rolling dough etc.

• jtsgranite4us
    15 years ago

We have 2cm granite with an ogee edge with full bullnose.

We haven't had any issues with chipping at all.

• igloochic
    15 years ago

LOL PB you have to read your post because even you said it was dated :oP ok "Modern" but it does read to a specific time. But, that being said, I caved to my DH on the kitchen edge too :oP (I didn't want the marine). Sadly I had to say "You were right" which was one of our marriage vows (that I would never say "You were right") but heck, anything for the cook :oP (and he was right) :OP

• pharaoh
    15 years ago

igloo, you got your onyx!!! it is gorjus!!! more photos please (in a new thread)...

• pbrisjar
    15 years ago

Yeah yeah yeah I know. But you don't have to keep pointing it out.

"anything for the cook"

heh - we need to teach Hubby that line. Of course his counter to that is that he's the one that does most of the cleaning.

Oh well, I'll have enough other edge details that the silly bullnose will (hopefully) fade into the background.

• azstoneconsulting
    15 years ago

Here's a few edges that I teach other Fabricators to do:

This is what I cal the "Vintage River Washed" edge -
    it's a heavy chiseled edge that I polish to look like
    it's been "washed" or like an "ice cube" - makes cleaning
    it way easy...
    {{!gwi}}

This is the "Rope" edge - Igloochick - is this what you
    call a "Marine Edge"? This one's on Granite:
    {{!gwi}}

Here's another version - softer and wider separation of the
    individual segments - done on Travertine:
    {{!gwi}}

Here's a "Full Bullnose" 8CM thick profile we did on a conference
    table:

and a closeup of the same edge:

Hope that helps ya!

kevin

• keepingitsimple
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you so much to EVERYONE for the pics and feedback, it's all been wonderful to look at and helpful with the decision making process. Your kitchens (and work) are all really beautiful!

• igloochic
    15 years ago

Pb, your granite is gorgeous :oP I can't believe that wasn't your first choice.

Kevin, gad I'm glad this wasn't posted before I took my stones home. You'd have cost me a fortune...I love those edges!

The marine edge I saw was raised up 1/8 inch on the edges so basically it looks like a simple square edge from the edge profile, but looking down on the counters, you see a 1/2 inch wide edge that's 1/8" higher than the middle of the counter. But all smooth and flowing...was that confusing enough of a description? Basically it allows you to spray or spill and the edge stops the mess from going over the countertop and onto the cabinets.

• ccoombs1
    15 years ago

I think mine is a half bullnose. I love the way it feels. Kevin, that rope edge is really pretty!

• Jim Peschke
    15 years ago

Around here ALL of the prefab granite is full bullnose. I don't know if it is that way across the country. So full bullnose felt too prefab to me. I liked a rounded edge though (more comfortable to lean on/up against) so we have a half bullnose. It's rounded on the top and squared on the bottom. Honestly I think they are all beautiful, but rounded is probably better for our 6-month old baby since she tries to eat the counter when she sits on my lap there. I'll try to post a picture of our edge (and our edge-eater) tonight.

- Jim

• Jim Peschke
    15 years ago

Here's my half bullnose:

Here's one of it being "eaten":

- Jim

• remodelfla
    15 years ago

I want that last edge complete with the yummy edible baby cheeks attached! Pudgy arms too! I need a baby in my life....

• bluekitobsessed
    15 years ago

Perqq, too cute!

I have a "macho" beveled edge. I wanted something simple but not a bullnose. This is an old pic:

• keepingitsimple
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Jim - thanks for coming back to post the pics! A dual purpose for granite most folks don't think of...teething ring! The little one is absolutely adorable. Can I ask what the stain color on your cabinets is? It's very close to the color we were thinking would work best in our kitchen when we reface our cabs.

Bluekitobsessed - I love your granite! And the edge too! Looks very expensive. :)

thank you!

• bluekitobsessed
    15 years ago

KIS, the edge is the 1/4 bevel edge that's one of your freebies. Lots of people like to show off their beautiful ogee edges, but this fit my kitchen better. The granite is "inexpensive" by standards of blue granite, which is to say "not really but not as heart-stoppingly overprice as others." Here's another pic in which my camera made everything purple-ish:

I also really like mustbnuts' edge also!

• pbrisjar
    15 years ago

Wow, Kevin. Those are really cool edges.

i-chic - What I really wanted was marble and/or soapstone (Hubby didn't want "patina"). Second choice was one of the really pricey blues (not in our budget at all). Then there was this beautiful mountain-scape of a purple, green and tan granite that Hubby just didn't care for.

I do love the uniqueness of this granite and I love the purple and pinks in it.

• Jim Peschke
    15 years ago

Keepingitsimple: I wish I could tell you a name for the stain, but it is a custom stain. We gave the cabinet maker some pictures we liked of different stains. He mixed up some samples and put them on a sample door. We chose from among those. It turned out great, but it was a rocky ride. The color I see on my monitor seems fairly true, but I will mention that if I take a flash photo directly of the cabinets they end up looking a bit orangeish. I would not describe what I see in person as orange at all though, but I guess it's in there. Since we were looking for a brown with a hint of orange or red I would say we got what we wanted. I don't know if any of that helps you.

- Jim

• keepingitsimple
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Jim - Thanks for checking back into the thread and for letting me know about the cabinets. I always forget about custom anything since it's not an option with our budget, but at least it gives me a jumping point to start off with, and I appreciate your help!

• mustbnuts zone 9 sunset 9
    15 years ago

I love your edge too and might have chosen that one if I had seen it prior to choosing mine. BTW, where have you been? Good to see you!

• whidbey
    15 years ago

Here's a helpful link that shows all of the different edges in 3-D. Plus most of them are in photos of actual stone. :)

Here is a link that might be useful: Granite Edges

• keepingitsimple
    Original Author
    15 years ago

whidbey, that is a very cool link! thank you for sharing it! I think we've pretty much decided to go with the half bullnose, with a great price of "FREE" it's hard to resist. :c)

Thank you everyone for the responses, pictures and feedback, your help is greatly appreciated. :)

• carol9999
    15 years ago

I like the look of the ogee edge, but is it smarter to go with the eased edge, beveled edge or half bullnose???? my kitchen is not modern, but more traditional looking...is there a reason not to go with the ogee?

• vicnsb
    15 years ago

I am just starting to look at granite and some
    of your photos edges look thicker than others.
    Are they all 2cm thickness in most of these photos?
    I know one of Bill's was 8cm! Can you point out which ones
    were different...thanks!
    vic

• keepingitsimple
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Carol9999, I saw the golden jade you've chosen, it's BEAUTIFUL ogee edge is a traditional looking edge...so you should be good.

vincnsb: I believe the granite counters are thicker because they are 3cm.

• igloochic
    15 years ago

Jim I'm so glad to know that granite is good for little ones :oP We're hoping for a baby some day and now at least I know the teething counters are going to work :oP

As to the thickness of the stones. In my pics above, the granite and marble are 3cm thick and the onyx is 2cm thick. Here in AK we have a hard time finding 2cm stone, which is standard in places like CA I'm told???

• vicnsb
    15 years ago

Thanks for the info regarding the thickness.
    vic