Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rhome410

OT re: gadgets..good thermometer for yogurt-making?

rhome410
12 years ago

Some of you may know I successfully made yogurt once. (I've also posted this on the Cooking Forum where I found the info on yogurt making, months back) I want to do it again, but trying to homeschool...or do anything....and run back and forth to check to see if the temps are right yet got a little wild. I decided I wasn't doing it again until I got a digital thermometer that would let me know when it got to the desired range.

Today was the day I looked on Amazon to find it and order before my organic yogurt and milk arrive next week for the next attempt at yogurt. But I found most thermometers have fairly dismal reviews, and some of those with chimes alarm when a set temp is reached, but only when the temperature is increasing (like for baking or roasting meat), and not when decreasing, like I need it to do for part of the process of making the yogurt. Any recommendations?

You folks are so quick to answer, and I know some of you probably have a thermometer that will do this, so I had to ask here. Thanks so much!

Comments (16)

• macybaby
    12 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

on another forum, the consensus was the digital thermometers didn't work as well as expected. I was all set to buy one, but decided to stick with the one I have.

For me the key was getting one with a big enough face so I can easily tell what temp it is.

I have no problem with this knowing when I've hit 185F and also when it's cooled down to 120F.

BTW - I make yogurt 2 gallons at a time - in my dehydrator

• rhome410
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks, Macybaby. Mine is a little difficult to read, so maybe the bigger face would at least help when I run in to check.

• theresse
    12 years ago

I've always used the kind that has the long string-like cord that clips to the pot and it's always worked really well (although granted this is for candle-making/wax)! Here are reviews on Amazon which should be helpful. They're categorized by customer ratings:

Here is a link that might be useful: Amazon reviews

• breezygirl
    12 years ago

I've been wanting to try yogurt making myself. I'm hoping that once we get back in the house with a new kitchen I'll have more time. I might have to pick your brain later about the process.

DH brought me this Taylor therm from work. I use it in the oven a lot as I have never had a built-in probe. I also use it occasionally on the stovetop for meats. I use a candy therm for clipping on the sides of a pan with liquid when necessary, but don't know why the Taylor wouldn't work for that application when you're not stationed by the stove. This is the one I mentioned to you when you got the new ovens and didn't have the built-in probe.

I found some of the Amazon reviews interesting. I've owned mine for several years and have had no problem. I love being able to set it and walk away knowing the alarm will tell me when I've reached temp.

I also have a digital quick-read. Love that one also for a quick stab.

Here is a link that might be useful: Taylor

• rhome410
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for all the helpful input. The thing I hadn't thought about when I started this quest was that most (all?) thermometers are geared to chime when they reach a top temperature. I need one that will chime when it gets DOWN to a certain temp, also... Do any of these you mentioned do that? Or am I dreaming to think I'll find that?

• breezygirl
    12 years ago

The Taylor alarm beeps at whatever temp you set it to, up or down. I'm almost positive.....

I'll do a test tonight to confirm.

• rhome410
    Original Author
    12 years ago

THanks, Breezy. That would be terrific!

• breezygirl
    12 years ago

Sorry I couldn't get to the experiment last night. I don't have good news. The alarm did NOT sound with temps on the way down. Argh! I could have sworn I've done that before.

When DH gets back from his business late this week, I'll ask him if he knows about anything on the restaurant side that would work.

Sorry to get your hopes up!

• lawjedi
    12 years ago

I'm interested in this as well... right now, I'm timing it to get a good idea of about how long I can wait before I begin the rabbiting up and down to check.

:-)

• rhome410
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Good idea, Lawjedi. Keeping a record would at least get me in the ballpark for next time.

Thanks for trying, Breezy...and thanks for checking in with your dh when you get the chance.

• lalithar
    12 years ago

I wanted to chime in on this thread. I make yogurt regularly and have been for several years. Atleast 2-3 times a week. And I do not use a thermometer. I have also studied the dairy science of making yogurt professionally and despite all the math, it boils down to providing a comfortable pasturized medium for the bacteria to grow.

Here is the easy recipe if you will that I wrote up for some other friends..

I usually make 1/4 gallon. But it really does not matter as you just need a longer time to "set" yogurt if you use more milk.

Use ultra-pasterized organic milk (I usually pick up Horizon's or Costco or Stermicks or whatever is available on sale that week at my store). Heat the milk. If heating on stove top use a stainless steel pot with thick bottom. You can also heat in a microwave. If you are heating on stove top, use low heat and stir frequently to prevent milk from scorching and prevent the skin from forming. With a microwave, you need to eyeball it until you figure out the math for your microwave (how much milk in what casserole for how many minutes). The milk is heated enough when you can see steam arising steadily. If you put a drop of milk on your wrist, it should feel hot. Now take remove the pot from heat and let cool. You are ready to add the yogurt culture when the milk feels lukewarm (give the milk a good stir and do the wrist test again). Don't worry about specific temperature, as long as it feels luke warm and tepid, the yogurt will set. Add the culture. For the first time you can use a commmercial culture like Yogourmet (available at wholefoods for me). Use just 1 packet and follow instructions to mix the powder in a bit of milk and pour it into the pot. For subsequent times, you can save a few tbsps of the made yogurt and use it as culture for the next times. My current culture is going strong for 3 years. Mix the culture throughly and put the lid back on the pot. Keep it in a reasonably warm place. If you warmed the milk in the microwave, you can just mix the culture and leave it in there. If you live in a cooler climate, you can leave it in the oven with the ligh on. Or just cover the pot with some dish towels. Do not move/ disturb the pot too much. The yogurt will set. How long --> depends on ambient temperature (cool --> longer, warm --> sooner). Check after 3-4 hrs to see if the yogurt is set. Tilt the pot slightly to see if is liquid still or solid. You will often see a small layer of whey on top when it is set. You can put it in the fridge when it is set to stop the bacteria growth.

Some Q&A:

Yogurt is a bit sour
    Home made yogurt is not sweetened and can be a bit more sour. It will also be more sour if the milk was too warm or the place you set it is too warm (the oven or the room in summers). Just try setting it with slightly cooler milk and move it to the fridge sooner (good tip for warm summer)

Yogurt takes too long to set
    Try with warmer milk and a more insulated area. My friend in cold canadian north uses a yogurt cosy (adapted from a tea cosy)she made to give the milk a nice ambient temperature.

Why ultra pasturized organic milk
    Ultra pasturized basically means that the milk has been super heated to get rid of most bacteria (which explains the long shelf life of milk here). This actually makes it easier for home yogurt making as basically all you need to do is to get the milk to ambient temperature to introduce your yogurt culture/ bacteria. I usually heat it a bit more as my milk container has usually been opened and used for a couple of days.
    Organic is just my choice for my family. Milk and dairy products is one of the things I personally believe that it is a better choice to use organic.

I NEED to know the science. This feels too "go with the flow"
    You asked for it. The science in yogurt making is simply to pasturize milk to kill any present microorganisms/ bacteria and then re-introduce the preferred bacteria culture that makes yogurt. When using a thermometer, heating milk to between 165 and 180 degrees Farenheit for a few minutes is basically same as ultra pasturization. This also denatures milk proteins so that they all set together as opposed to forming lumpy curds. Then the milk is cooled to 110 degrees Farenheit which is the best ambient temperature to incubate the usual yougurt bacteria (lactobacillus acidophillus, bulgaris) etc. The fermentation occurs over a period of 4-7 hrs.

I want thicker yogurt
    Many store brands use gelatin. I don't like it as I feel it is too goopy. You can instead mix non-fat dry milk in the milk and mix it throughly (no lumps) before heating. You can start with 1/3 cup and then experiment to see how thick you want the yogurt. Also using whole milk will make thicker yogurt. Basically more solids in the milk (either fat or the solid non-fat), thicker the yogurt. Thicker yogurt will take slightly longer to set. Straining is another way to thicker after the yogurt is set. Nice but too much work IMHO.

Flavored yogurt
    You can add pureed fruits to the mixture or jam even. I prefer to just add fresh fruit and other things like nuts, agave syrup or honey to dress the yogurt later. I usually find that the set of the yogurt sometimes gets wonky if you corrupt the milk before the culture is added.

Can I use cute single serving jars
    This makes it a bit tricky to make sure the culture is evenly distributed and the ambient temperature is maintained for the fermentation. Results are sometimes not consistent. Suggest you try one of the yogurt makers in the market which already has the glass single serving jars. Try adding culture individually to each jar (same amount) to get consistent setting.

Microwave Method please
    My friend simply boils milk in microwave oven till 180 to 185F (15.5mins for her corelle container in our microwave)wait it cools down to 110F to 120F. Just keep the warm innoculated milk in the oven that was pre-heated to 170 and SWITCHED OFF.

• kashmi
    12 years ago

What about a spa thermometer? These are made to alert you if the temp gets too hot or too cold -- so would meet your criterion of measuring temps on the way down. Also many of these have a remote wireless setup so the temperature probe can be in one space and the main device w/ alarm in another -- which would meet your other criterion.

The link below provides one example from Home Depot but there probably are many, many more out there. My main worry is that this sensor is made to float in the water and that may not be ideal for yogurt. But I think there may be some with a stationary probe.

Good luck! And, thanks for starting this thread. I'm learning so much about making yogurt.

Here is a link that might be useful: Wireless Remote Thermometer w/ Alarm

• rhome410
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I am new at yogurt-making myself, but was quite happy with the results of the process I used. I couldn't think of trying to learn, right now, to watch without a thermometer when I just can't give my full attention to the process. :)

Kashmi, that's a brilliant idea. I will look into it! In case you're interested, I'll link my blog post about the first time I made yogurt.

Here is a link that might be useful: My first yogurt making experience

• kashmi
    12 years ago

rhome410: Thanks for the blog link. Reading about your process + the pictures is very helpful. I may yet try this! We now have a source for some terrific milk from grass fed-only cows. I'm assuming that should make great yogurt.

• rhome410
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I hope it works out for you, Kashmi. It wasn't hard, I just wanted an easier way to keep track of temps. I tend to get distracted and forget I'm supposed to be running back to check on things! But I'm definitely ready to try again, and was able to get some good quality milk, too.