Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
vbonura

New construction - Kitchen Layout help please!

vbonura
11 years ago

I'm finishing up the plans to our new home and was looking for some feedback with the kitchen layout. I cook a lot and so our family spends a good bit of time in and around the kitchen. My struggle has been the placement of the refrigerator and ovens. Take a look at the layout and let me know if you think it works or if you see a better way.

For reference the island is 5x8 and there is 4' between the range and island and 4'6" between the refrigerator and island.

Thanks in advance!

Comments (4)

• herbflavor
    11 years ago

I'm counting 3 ovens-a large capacity one in the range and 2 wall ovens. I'd put one of the three in butler's pantry-for those occasions when you're cooking up a storm. Are you sure about sink in island? if so, bring fridge around to part of long run-fairly close to table-maybe 15 in or so on right side for a bit ofcounter,then have more counter directly behind you when at sink-so range gets moved down closer to the corner and the 2nd oven goes over to the fridge spot closer to family room. I have a sink with counter runs just barely adequate on L and R-one of the goals will be to move the range so there is counter directly behind me. Especially with the 48 in range,I'd clear it from direct behind you. Even better in your kitchen would be range and sink on the long wall if you could place the separate oven under the counter in island...then perhaps leave fridge in the position you have it.It depends if you feel strongly about sink in island position-I'm kinda so-so about it.

• taggie
    11 years ago

That's quite similar to our kitchen layout and I totally love the workflow of it.

I like that I can have the range aisle to myself while family can get to the fridge and snacks at the perimeter without us being in each others' way. We have an extra water source at the side aisle by the fridge so that helps keep them over there where they belong. :) In your case you have water at the butler pantry along with snacks and I assume coffee, etc., which looks perfect to me!

I would move the dishwasher to the left of the sink to keep it out of your prep area.

And I don't know what all your measurements are, but if there is any way to eke an extra 12" out of the island to the right of the sink I think you'd be a lot happier with 36" there as a your prep area. Not sure if it's possible to do by taking 6" from each side (4' to fridge is enough, not sure about the other side tho). If not, could you possibly scoot the wall back a little into the pantry area?

Good luck with your new build!

• vbonura
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Taggie,

Thanks for the input. You are totally right about moving the dishwasher to the other side and increasing the size of the island. I am having the architect add 1 foot to the island and push the wall back 6 inches to keep the 4'6" distance between the fridge and island.

Thanks again!

• vbonura
    Original Author
    11 years ago

herbflavor,

good suggestions but I think we're sold on the sink in the island. The range is actually just going to be a rangetop so the only ovens will be the double ovens in the wall.