Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
thirdkitchenremodel_gw

Best spice rack ever

And adds oxygen to the room at the same time it provides easy access to an abundant assortment of herbs and spices!

Comments (19)

• mrsjoe
    11 years ago

I'd probably kill it in less than a month :-(

• drewem
    11 years ago

That's awesome! Hopefully there are no bugs...

• User
    11 years ago

I believe sochi has a live plant wall in her home...maybe she will see this and can answer ? about it. c

• Bunny
    11 years ago

Nice rack!

And watering isn't messy ever?

• farmgirlinky
    11 years ago

I love it! Could it be real? Or staged that morning after a trip to the local garden center?
    lynn

• sochi
    11 years ago

Fabulous rack - a bit too big though, no??

A great idea, but you would need a very sunny location and have to grow herbs that enjoy similar conditions. Absolutely possible though. I thought about doing a much smaller but similar idea with herbs in my kitchen, but I just don't have good enough light for herbs. I think that the one shown above is a little big for the typical kitchen (is in it a restaurant?). But I'd love to have ready year round access to basil, chives, coriander, dill, etc. I have an incredibly hard time finding decent dill. But anyway.

I do have a large living wall (plant wall) in my DR. It is filled with tropical plants that can handle relatively low light and similar conditions. I don't know why more people don't do this, I really love the wall. I've attached the thread I posted about this last summer.

Here is a link that might be useful: sochi's plant wall

• islanddevil
    11 years ago

Hi Sochi. Checked out your link. Beautiful living art!Looks like you installed it last year? How are the plants doing? Have you had to change many of them?

I've been looking at projects like this and would love to do something similar on my patio with succulents. See a lot of them in magazines, restaurants, and it looks like the OP's is in an appliance showroom (?), but wondering how it works out for "real people". Do tell! Thanks

• a2gemini
    11 years ago

All I can say is wow!
    Now I kill most items so no chance!

• sochi
    11 years ago

Hi island,

I've had the wall about 18 months now. I've had to change out some of the plants twice. Once quite early on - the majority of the plants are pothos, and I had quite a few peace lillies too in the beginning. Problem was that peace lililes needed far more watering that pothos so they weren't compatible as I couldn't give one type of plant more or less water than the others. I replaced the peace lilies with anthuriums and they have worked out very well.

Then a few months ago I had an infestation of mealy bugs. I was busy at work, busy with a bathroom reno, went out of the country for a couple of weeks. By the time I could pay attention to the wall the damage was serious. I probably had to replace 60% of my pothos. I really hate mealy bugs. I could have prevented that by segregating any new plants I brought into my house, but ... I didn't. I'm still battling them I'm afraid.

I would think that succulents outside would be easier and pretty uncomplicated. There are all sorts of succulent DIY living wall kits out there. I would love to try one soon. Keep us posted if you do a wall, I'd love to see it!

• babushka_cat
    11 years ago

my cats would climb that thing and mow it down in the span of one weekend.

• kitchendetective
    11 years ago

My very tall, male Great Pyrenees would love that wall. ;]

• ginny20
    11 years ago

I agree with sochi. Those herbs would get spindly soon without adequate sunlight. You could do something like this on a small scale with gro-lights. There is even a setup you can buy for growing herbs indoors that has a light in it, but it's only good for about 3 pots.

Lovely, though, and if it worked, it would be great. Probably a greenhouse attached to your house, and a gardener to maintain it and a cook to harvest, would work better.

• marcolo
    11 years ago

Cool idea, and there are other ways to do it. If you have a sunny wall, you could put up a series of narrow shelves and fill them with herb pots. In fact it's better to have an entire shelf of each herb, because if you've only got a petite decorative pot, you go through them too quickly.

• User
    11 years ago

Herbs are FULL SUN plants. That means 6 hours of direct full intensity sunlight at a minimum You'd need to get in touch with your local "hydroponic growing" supply store for enough HID lighting to maintain that amount of plants. And then you might get on the DEA's "watch list"! LOL!

• EATREALFOOD
    11 years ago

Love it ! I have window boxes in every window(except fire escape). The herbs grow even during the winter, I just brush the snow off and keep the window slightly ajar to allow them to receive some warm air. My parsley, sage and rosemary made it through and are very resistant to temp changes now :) I may need a grow light for the pussy cat's wheat grass though...where to find the answer...GW of course !

• sochi
    11 years ago

lol GreenDesigns, originally I was planning on having my living wall in my LR - I would have needed grow lights, etc. I searched the net looking for lighting solutions and 9 out of 10 searches led to grow-op sites. I'm sure I'm on various watch lists now! In the end I opted for the DR where there was sufficient natural light, so no grow op for me.

• kateskouros
    11 years ago

that is beautiful! but i have way too much to take care of as it is. and also, plants hate me ;-(

• kateskouros
    11 years ago

that is beautiful! but i have way too much to take care of as it is. and also, plants hate me ;-(

• islanddevil
    11 years ago

Here's another system called Urbio that's not just for plants. I could see this in a craft or child's playroom too.

Here is a link that might be useful: Urbio