Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
vdinli

Long Island, NY and nearby area resources?

vdinli
10 years ago

Hi. I think there are a few people on here from Long Island and nearby areas. Since I am just starting out on this process, I am looking for good sources to handle a small but tricky renovation.

I thought it would be helpful to have a thread listing your preferred vendors..KD, Contractor, Cabinet dealer, Stone Yard, Fabricator, Tile Shop, Appliance vendor etc I did find some older threads on cabinet makers by search but thought we could do an updated thread covering all aspects of a kitchen reno.

Thanks for sharing.

Comments (25)

• msl511
    10 years ago

I'm in southern Westchester.

For my cabinets, I'm going through Tarallo Kitchens in the Bronx, working with Lee Taylor. So far so good, but I don't have the cabinets yet, although they've been ordered. But she was helpful, practical, listened to me, offered what certainly appears to be good advice and has been pretty good about staying in touch. I got her name through my contractor and he wouldn't have recommended her unless he expected good things all the way through.

My counters will be soapstone from Teixeira in Hackensack.

The appliances are coming from AJ Madison. I think they're in Brooklyn, but it's basically an internet operation. They have excellent prices, a large selection and a fantastic website. Customer service varies significantly, but so far I've always gotten what I needed from them.

Other vendors are probably too local to me to do you any good.

• foodonastump
    10 years ago

I'm hesitant to name a few of the ones you asked for for a variety of reasons, but if you're looking for specialty tile and mosaics that you might not see at the big places like Cancos, then Siena and Portico - both in the Huntington area - are worth a look.

I bought my range and DW at Plessers in Babylon which seems to be a popular dealer. I'd rate my experience good, but odd. The floor model range I got was definitely not the one I had looked at. It was missing the small scratch, so I didn't complain. The floor model DW was also not the same - what I got was new in box. Again, no complaints. Prices were good, saleswoman uninspiring.

• rpets
    10 years ago

I'm using Showcase Kitchens - very happy with them -and Nicola Marble/granite, also great, VERY knowledgable & helpful (more $ than others but worth it, IMO). Nicola does fabrication as well and has had rave reviews.
    A friend used Ken Kelly Kitchen Designs & was very happy (also a smaller project like yours) and a relative used Classic Kitchens & was very pleased as well.
    Can't go wrong generally w/PC Richards for appliances but Hamptons Appliances is AMAZING - their salesman know EVERY DETAIL about each appliance, can truly educate you.
    Hope this helps a bit, GL :)

• vdinli
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you all for sharing your sources! It is great to get recommendations from people who have been there before.
    Anybody care to share their contractor info? We went through an exhaustive search for our basement renovation and thought the firm we chose did really good work but took way too long(7mo vs a projected 2mo). Can't afford to lose access to our main floor for that long!
    Does anybody know how I can add an email to my a/c here so ppl can pm me if they want?
    TIA

• vdinli
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Ok. I figured out how to add an email to my a/c. So if anybody wants to share their experiences(good or bad)in private, you can send me an email from my page.
    Thank you!

• foodonastump
    10 years ago

They already can. Clicking on your username gives a "send me an email" link (based on your preference settings), so as long as you registered with an address you check, you can be contacted.

• olivertwistkitchen
    10 years ago

Where in LI?

• vdinli
    Original Author
    10 years ago

We are in Eastern Nassau. But, we are willing to travel for good sources. Thanks.

• PRO
    modern life interiors
    10 years ago

bump

• foodonastump
    10 years ago

Oh boy, the Mad Bumper has taken a liking to your thread!

I just thought to mention the showroom for myknobs.com in Carle Place. I haven't been there in years, hopefully tomorrow. With a whole store dedicated to hardware I have to imagine it'll have extensive options.

• olivertwistkitchen
    10 years ago

We started with Ken Kelly and left them.

• vdinli
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, rpets and foodonastump. I will check out your reccomendations.

• SaltLife631
    10 years ago

Without knowing the scope of your projects or any specifics I would suggest giving Ringer Construction in Bayport a call, ask to speak directly with the owner whose name is George. Their telephone number is 631-589-8735. They are busy and for good reason. Feel free to let me know if you need any other specific information. Good luck, I wish you the best and look forward to hearing about your project.

• vdinli
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you so much for the recommendation, SaltLife. I just saw your post as I was away from this site dealing with other issues.

• zeebee
    10 years ago

Using Kitchen Designs by Ken Kelly right now. Taine D'Agostino is our KD and we are very happy with how the design/planning has progressed thus far.

• hcdny
    10 years ago

vinudev_liny, LeT me know what kind of materials you are looking for. email hcdny@yahoo.com Thanks!

• PRO
    Allison Gamba Design Consultant
    10 years ago

I just finished an entire gut/reno in Garden City. I am a budget shopper with expensive taste. I would recommend my contractor but he has relocated upstate due to a family illness so our job was his last. I bought cabinets through him and his upstate contact but I will recommend the brand highly, Fieldstone, and costal cabinet works carries them. I did price out Ken Kelly and they are very expensive and a friend just used them and was very disappointed. For tile I went all over the island, I ended up buying at Cancos, the Tile Shop (great prices, and they have a sale every holiday), and I splurged on an Artistic Tile inset from Fancy Fixtures. If you want to be blown away by a showroom check out Fancy Fixtures, then if you want to come down to earth look at the Tile Shop. Also Old Country Tile is great they have a big showroom and are very helpful. For plumbing supplies and hardware you really can't beat online shopping. I got everything from Build.com, no tax, free shipping, great customer service. Knobs.com showroom is great to look at but I got baldwin hardware 40% off at build.com with a coupon code that I googled. For appliances I used PC Richards, you can haggle with them, Dennis in Carle Place is great. Stone yard we used was Yorkshire Stone in Happauge, ask for Ray. They were wonderful! Any other questions message me, I've done a lot of homework and can get you great deals! Good Luck!

• vdinli
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for all the recommendations, nyse2502. I will check them out. I am budget shopper too-so all this info is very helpful. The kitchen redo took a back seat for a few months but now the planning process is back on. Hopefully, we can get to start sometime in the new yr.

• flanags
    10 years ago

Nyse2502 - do you pics of your kitchen you can share ? I'm interested in seeing the Feidlstone cabinets installed. I'm currently selecting cabinets and prices are all over the place.

Thanks !!

• PRO
    10 years ago

This is the first time I have posted pics and I'm on my mobile so I'll see if this comes out

• flanags
    10 years ago

Holy cow ! Absolutely stunning ! Just stunning. Do you mind me asking how big your kitchen is ? Your cabinets look so creamy white and I love your island. Such a beautiful space !!!

• PRO
    10 years ago

Thank you flanags! It's such a mess in this pic and apparently my phone posts photos sideways. My kitchen is an open kitchen/family room. The space I've used for the kitchen is approx. 17x17 and the island is 8'x5'. I used ivory cream maple cabinets and the island is cherry in nutmeg with a chocolate glaze. I am extremely happy with Fieldstone's finish and when I brought the door sample to the stone yard my granite guy was blown away at how heavy the door was. I have a colonial home and I feel that the popular white kitchen with the black or carrara countertops is more of a "Hamptons/Post-modern look" so I felt a little safer with these colors in trying to stick to a traditional look with some transitional elements. I have been more of a lurker on GW and this is my first time posting pics. I can't wait to do the final reveal and have learned SO much on this site. I just hope to pass on some of what I have learned and make someone else's experience easier.

• flanags
    10 years ago

IMO you've nailed the traditional to Transitional look. You've done an amazing job and it looks so warm and inviting ! I can't wait to see the final reveal.
    Although ours will be smaller it's a similar layout opening up to the family room as well. I'm in the earlier stages of picking cabs/ colors/ tiles etc. you know how it is !! I just love the color you chose for the perimeter cabs.

• flanags
    10 years ago

IMO you've nailed the traditional to Transitional look. You've done an amazing job and it looks so warm and inviting ! I can't wait to see the final reveal.
    Although ours will be smaller it's a similar layout opening up to the family room as well. I'm in the earlier stages of picking cabs/ colors/ tiles etc. you know how it is !! I just love the color you chose for the perimeter cabs.

• PRO
    10 years ago

Thanks again flanags! Good luck with everything and have fun with it!

Sponsored
Emily Rudolph Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars25 Reviews
Hands-On & Collaborative Columbus Interior Designer