Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sayde_gw

Sources for Wood Counters

sayde
15 years ago

I am considering wood counters for both counters and island. I have heard about Grothouse on this site (Mamadadapaige's gorgeous island) and am also aware of Spekva.

Would appreciate guidance -- who's good? (Besides these two).

I know there's a lot of variables --wood type, thickness, end, edge, flat. But assuming a medium-priced edgegrain should I expect wood to cost about the same as soapstone?

Comments (13)

• User
    15 years ago

Both Lumber Liquidators and Ikea offer wood counters as well at a price much less than soap stone

• jennabanenna
    15 years ago

I am using a place called hardwood-lumber.com located in Burton OH. Very reasonable prices.

• beachbum
    15 years ago

My custom cabinet guy uses this place.
    http://www.signaturecustomwoodworking.com

Mine is not installed yet, so I can't tell you if I'm happy or not.

We had about 24 sq feet, and it was just under $3K.
    HTH

• sayde
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for all the responses!!! I appreciate it and am going to "visiting" these suppliers right now.

• cabrep
    15 years ago

A humble opinion from someone in a related industry - Grothouse is the best wood top available. Period.

• sayde
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks cabrep!
    Grothouse does indeed do gorgeous tops!

Are you really a cab rep? And if so, who makes the best custom/semi custom cabinets?

• sorriso
    15 years ago

I used cherry butcher block on one counter surface, made by Atlantic Hardwoods in Portland, Maine (http://www.atlantichardwoods.com/). It cost about $350 for an 1-1/2" x 26-1/2" x 73" piece that was NOT finished. I finished it myself with tung oil which was simple and it is absolutely beautiful. Their cost might still be reasonable with shipping to wherever you live.

Linda

• scottielee
    15 years ago

my beloved island top is made by Craft-Art. it is made of Brazilian cherry with traditional ogee and double double notch curve. it came out to $120 per square foot delivered to NYC.

John Boos and DeVos Custom Woodworking also make wood countertops.

• mnhockeymom
    15 years ago

Have to cast a strong vote for Brooks Wood out of NY - I know folks on GW are big fans of Grothouse but, IMHO, Brooks Wood gives them a serious run for the spot of top honors!

• luisa_at_home
    15 years ago

I love my John Boos walnut 8 footer from Boos purchased from Butcher Block Co. About $900. It is the conversation piece in my kitchen. I will be posting pictures of the finished kitchen hopefully by the end of this week.

• jrtgal
    15 years ago

mnhockeymom, what counter did you get from Brooks, and might you post pics? I am seriously considering them for a top. Their price is very good but their customer service is a bit off putting. Would love feedback and photos from any Brooks customers.
    Scottielee I got some samples from Craft-Art and they are beyond gorgeous. Unfortch too expensive for me! Would love to see your top too.
    Anyone have a John Boos cherry top? This is another option for me. LL is not as I need a top 33" wide.

• mnhockeymom
    15 years ago

Hi jrtgal - I'm glad I peeked in on GW today or I might have missed your post! I have two different counters from Brooks - the Wide Plank Premium Walnut (this I used for my breakfast bar/counter) - it's 2 1/4" thick with a funky edge that I don't remember the pattern of but could look up for you if you want. I also have a 3" thick Edge Grain Butcher Block from them with an eased edge. I would love to post pictures directly but since Shutterfly updated its website I can't figure out how to do it. However, I will put a link at the bottom of this to my kitchen in the finished kitchens blog so you can check them out there.

As for customer service, I have to say I'm surprised. They were incredibly pleasant to work with and especially helpful when I had questions regarding the oil and finish that they use. My oldest son has nut allergies and one of their products has a nut oil in it so we had to come up with an alternative solution and they bent over backwards to do it for me. The templating was done perfectly and the install folks were great. It was the first time my builder had worked with them and now they are all he uses. I got their name from a friend who runs a swanky kitchen showroom in town but whose prices I couldn't afford! :-)

Let me know if you have any other question!

Here is a link that might be useful: mnhockeymoms kitchen on FKB

• sombreuil_mongrel
    15 years ago

I second the recommendation if hardwood_lumber.com. Especially if you are in the eastern US, and money is a consideration. Their price for 2" thick maple is about $32.50 per square foot.
    Casey

Here is a link that might be useful: Hardwood_lumber.com