Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
josie724

Wine Glass Racks

josie724
15 years ago

I have a counter to ceiling 15 inch cabinet, that came with regular finished cabinet shelves. I figured I'd get glass shelves made at a glazier. But now I think I'd like to incorporate a wine glass rack. Does anyone know if there are any companies that make racks that would fit into the peg holes on the inside of the cabinet? I'd prefer the rack to be chrome or metal, I don't want wood.

TIA

Comments (20)

• claybabe
    15 years ago

Oooh good idea! I don't recall seeing non-wood racks. Perhaps Hafele or Rev a shelf?

• josie724
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you, I didn't even know where to start. I'll check em out.

• rbsohio
    15 years ago

I wonder if something like this could be adapted for installation inside a cabinet...
    Let me know if you come upon anything else!

Here is a link that might be useful: under cabinet wine glass storage

• sweeby
    15 years ago

Check out restaurant supply houses -- That's where we got ours.

Or ebay -- They have everything!

• Fori
    15 years ago

Lee valley has some, as does Ikea, but I think some attach by sliding onto the bottoms of shelves, which would bring you back to glass...

• gardenburgher
    15 years ago

Lee Valley has some wine glass racks, but they attach to the underside of your shelf, instead of using your peg holes.

HTH!

Here is a link that might be useful: Lee Valley Wine Racks

• josie724
    Original Author
    15 years ago

lots of good info, thanks, I'll check em all out.

• lovemcm
    15 years ago

We have wine glass racks, installed by PO. Maybe we don't drink enough wine, but we are always having to wash them before we use the glasses, because they get so dusty. Just so you know.

• josie724
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks petlady1, I think the solution is to definetly drink more ;-) is your rack mounted inside the cabinet?

• oldjgw
    15 years ago

josie724 you mean those glasses are for drinking wine. What will I do with all the plastic tubing?? ;-(

• lovemcm
    15 years ago

At the rate this kitchen plan is going, more wine is looking very good. Our glass rack is mounted below an open (as in no doors) cabinet which houses a wine rack, next to our other upper cabinets. The wine rack gets very dusty as well. Frankly, we would not do either again for that very reason.

• josie724
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Petlady1 I feel your pain. I want to mount my rack inside a glass cabinet. So hopefully that'll help with the dust.

• abbycat9990
    15 years ago

I use the Ikea wine bottle and wineglass holders screwed to the bottoms of shelves in my former kitchen/current laundry/butlers pantry. Works great!

Here is a link that might be useful: Wine glass rack.

• lovemcm
    15 years ago

Putting it behind glass should lick the dust problem. Be sure to include it when you show us the finished kitchen!

• Buehl
    15 years ago

Hmmm Josie...I have a couple of cabinets that could use another shelf, but the idea of wine glasses hanging upside down sounds interesting...I'm always interested in something "different"!

Even if the rack has to be mounted under a shelf, it could conceivably eliminate the need for another shelf...just have the glasses end at a certain point and then store stuff under that level on the shelf below.

Keep us posted on what you find

(And don't forget those "finished kitchen" pictures when you're done!)

• igloochic
    15 years ago

One issue to watch for (it's been a problem for me so no wine glass racks so far) is that most racks are made for cheap white wine glasses or those general glasses they sell at the bridal shops that people use for wine, water, koolaide, etc. (ok maybe not koolaide, but everything else). Those bowls are narrow. If you have real wine glasses for different types of wines, a cabernet bowl won't fit in the metal racks because they are spaced too tightly. The same for a pinot and even a larger white wine glass. So they're great for champagne, but not much else...unless you love those "one size fits all wine" glasses from the bridal store :oP

• josie724
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks guys, I didn't think about that Igloochic, good point. Buehl, I have a light inside the cabinet so I'm trying to keep shelves inside glass or the racks so the light can shine all the way through. But I did think of mounting a rack the the bottom of one of the shelves. I'll toy around with it. And yes, when and IF *rolls eyes* my kitchen is 100% complete I'll post pics.

• Buehl
    15 years ago

Drat! I don't have those "one size fits all" types! Oh well! I guess I'll just leave them on the top shelves of the 36" tall cabs where they are now.

• abbycat9990
    15 years ago

I can fit three different sizes of wine glasses, and also brandy snifters on my Ikea wine glass racks. The metal tine sets are 5" apart, so unless users of these racks only have glasses that exceed 5" in diameter, one should be able to stagger the glasses by width as necessary.

I was intrigued by Igloo's comment re wine glass girth. I wondered if I've been missing out on buzz quality by not having giant bowls in which to swirl my wine. I found the link below for a brief intro to wine glass sizes and their benefits. I still don't see any glasses greater in girth than 5", and I think my buzz quality remains uncompromised. Granted, we only imbibe with other university folk or neighbors, and perhaps our tastes are not as refined as those of the oil elite ;-)

Anyway, here's our setup:

Here is a link that might be useful: Intro to wine glass sizing

• igloochic
    15 years ago

abby I'm sorry if I offended...I was kidding and perhaps didn't add enough funny faces to my text.

I have purchased many wire racks for wine glasses, and have yet to find one that we could use for our stems. I haven't purchased one from Ikea, and maybe I should, because most are about 3" and I've found a 4" but never a 5".

The majority of our wine glasses are between 4 and 5" across, as are the martini and then we have a couple of bordeaux style that are 5 1/2" across. I think if you took a measuring tape to the glasses she was showing, you'd see that they are between 3 1/2 to 5" in width.

No you don't miss out on a buzz if you use a different glass than intended for the wine, but you do miss out on taste. There's a reason to airate a red, and a reason whites are in smaller bowls, but for both, it's nice to compare the legs, color, etc., and you can't do that with smaller glasses.

As far as I know...we've yet to reach elite status, but if we do I'll be sure to post a note. In the mean time...I've been drinking wine in the right glasses since I was a poor college student. I continued to do so while managing an oyster and clam farm, and then throughout my career as a banker...so I think I can say...oil has nothing to do with being into wine.

I do like to drink out of lovely crystal. I learned that from a great aunt, so even in my poor days I had pretty stemware (antique stores sold it cheep) so I am a bit of a crystal snob. But then I love a sparkley table :O) and nothing does it like crystal. So I have a lot of it. (Because we also don't use the same glass for a different wine...see we really are into the taste even more than the buzz) :oP I may have to send off to Ikea and see if I can use their wine racks.