Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
markadams_gw

need some custom kitchen cabinet makers in nova/dc area

markadams
9 years ago

After looking at Home Depot (Martha Stewart and Thomasville Line), Loews (Diamond Line) and realizing that both are Masterbrand and for $8000 I really am getting mainly particleboard with solid door fronts, I think I need to step out. Plus, I read tons of issues with these big box retailers..ugh. I also looked into RTA but realized quickly most of it comes from China. They can keep it at any price. I will not buy from China.

Ok, I don't need a designer as I fired the last one in McLean....awful and took my money.
I have a simple design for an 8 ft by 11ft 5 inch galley all ready to go that I modified (KD never listened to anything I said anyhow but did try selling me a $8000 kitchen hood! LOL.). General contractor is doing the "palette" and agreed to install cabinets if I wish. He is good in all ways. House is old so have to deal with its quirks but essentially the room is a straightforward rectangle with an exterior door at one end and an interior entry at the other. It is a VERY SMALL kitchen and we are fine with keeping it simple. We just don't want junk. In the design there is a max of 9 cabinets....4 wall and 5 base. The sink cabinet must hold a simple farmhouse sink. We ditched the fancy pull out pantry stuff as we realized the WEIGHT of it all coming out at once was bad; we ditched the pull out drawers too as we realized "uh, we are not packing it to the hilt so we can just peek in and get what we want from the cabinet". Again, all this fluff really is a waste for us We just want a solid good simple cabinet. The only "fanciness" in the entire kitchen is the desire to have two glass wall cabinets, preferably with some leaded glass, so we can show off a few things. Other 2 cabinets on each side of stove are 3 drawer units. Across by the sink one cabinet, again drawers, for cutlery and the like and one to hold a small trash can (even that one can be tossed out). We have a small closet pantry for other junk and the cabinet above the frig can hold some heavy appliances we rarely use. Not a fan of microwave ovens nor do I like them over the stove. ....we will probably do a simple range hood...still in debate on those choices with other half. Let me say that Lowes quoted $3350 for the 2 hanging wall cabinets with leaded glass....friggin ridiculous and over 40% of the entire job!!!!
Even my friends who make stain glass were amazed at the glass price alone. Anyway, I wanted you all to get a sense of my frustration and my quest for simplicity with quality. Can it be achieved or will I just end up buying a butcher block table on wheels and put it next to the stove and bag it all!?! Serioiusly, $8K for sawdust?????????I wont pay it.

I am getting a quote from an Amish cabinetmaker in Culpepper. I want 3 more bids from local craftsmen that can build me a quality cabinet. Not interested in more "name brand" nor am I interested in Designers trying to sell me $50K in cabinets for a small galley. Also, not interested in the typical DC " look at what I got and you don't" bull. I have been noticing as I went from vendor to vendor, that's a trend here that I just can't stomach as I look at kitchens. I want it "my way" and not "look at me" way.

Anyone who can provide me some names and phone #s or web addresses for good craftsmen would be appreciated! No snobs or
folks who can't talk around things...need a straight up, explains it guy or gal to work with here. If all they do is $200K Chevy Chase kitchens, move on..not my cup of tea.

This kitchen project has now become an aggravation rather than
a joy as I feel I just keep running into used car salesmen trying to
sell me a trend, etc. So, let's see if this forum can do anything for me. Thanks for listening and thanks to anyone who can assist. Sorry I complained so much but I am kinda done here with this nonsense project.

Comments (5)

• Niki Friedman
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Hi from a local :) I would post on DC Urban Moms (real estate board). You'll get lots of responses I'm sure.

• annaship1
    9 years ago

Just FYI -- you don't have to have the leaded glass come with the cabinet. With mirror clips, you should be able to install any sort of glass you like into a cabinet door. Most cabinet companies make cabinets with either removable plain glass or grilles that are easy to change out.

It sounds as though you have your design pretty much figured out. Have you tried Barker cabinets? Some folks on the board have been very happy with the quality and price of those. I suspect that the craftsmen will give you prices MUCH higher than 8k for your kitchen. Especially in DC metro.

Here is a link that might be useful:

• suzanne_sl
    9 years ago

The deal where you order a cabinet w/o glass is called "glass ready." It's more economical to buy the glass you want locally and it's easy to install.

I have to ask: who does the cooking/clean-up at your house? You have some really strong opinions on stuff like pull-outs, so I hope you're the one who has to cope with crawling around on the floor to reach the thing at the back of the cabinet as well as the person who has to find the step ladder to remove heavy appliances from over the fridge. I get your frustration, but pull-outs and drawers are engineered to carry heavy loads and perform just as intended, which might be called "ergonomically smart." Personally, I love having my dishes in a drawer just opposite the dishwasher vs where they used to be over the dishwasher pretty much over my head. When I can open the drawer by the stove and locate the right pot at the back of the drawer vs having to crouch down and unload everything in front of that pot and then re-load afterwards, it makes me a much happier and more efficient cook. God knows I spend enough time in the kitchen without increasing that time with mindless make-work.

As for construction, you need to check out the terms "particle board," "furniture board" and "plywood." You really aren't going to want all-wood cabinets for structural reasons. "Furniture board" (a variation on particle board) has a sort of standard quality, which is "good to excellent." Both plywood and particle board come in various grades ranging from crap to excellent and one should not be mistaken for the other.

FYI: This many kitchen cabinets, in a roughly 11-odd feet x whatever kitchen

plus these china cabinets (glass ready)

cost us $14,000 3 years ago. They came from Home Depot. We did the install ourselves. Note that we have a pantry with pull-out shelves on the bottom half, a lower corner unit with a super-susan (the best!!), and an "easy reach" upper corner cab. Under the peninsula is all drawers. Because we have such a small space to work with, as do you, we chose frameless cabinets which gives you just that little extra space when every inch counts. Amish cabinet makers are awesome, but they don't do frameless as far as I know.

• User
    9 years ago

Mark at Warrenton Custom Cabinets, 540-349-3227. Great to work with, will make what you ask, listens, makes quality cabinets, and just an all around nice guy. I have cabinets that his shop made in 2 baths, the laundry room, and the kitchen.

• User
    9 years ago

If you don't want to take advantage of decades of experience to make your kitchen a more functional space for less money, that's certainly your right. Can't say it's too smart, but hey, if that's what you want to do, barge ahead full steam. You actually got very good advice, even if you choose to ignore it. And you got a decent price for what you're describing for cabinetry. It's about half price of the average cabinet expenditure usually is for an average kitchen redo in your area.

The box stores also don't have the ability to tack on a PITA fee on top of their prices like independents can, and probably will. Independent tradesmen can choose who they want to work with, and can fire clients too. You might take that to heart, simmer down, and listen and learn a bit reading this forum. It can help you immensely, but only if you want to learn.