Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mratner_gw

Traditional kitchen - finally finished (pics)

mratner
12 years ago

Thanks very much to everyone in this forum for many helpful hints and suggestions. Thought I'd share the views of the finished product.

Cabinets and hardware by Kraftmaid: Upper - painted, Biscotti with Coconut Glaze; Island - stained Cherry, Kaffe

Floors - existing, red oak refinished

Wall paint - BM Wheatfield

Granite - New Colonial Dream, from Marble.com

Backsplash - Jerusalem Gold limestone, from Antico Stone

Mural (over the range) - mail-order from Jerusalem Pottery

Faucets - Brizo Talo, the main one SmartTouch

Sinks - Elkay

Range - NXT

Fridge - Samsung

Built-in Microwave/Oven - the 120V Advantium (GE Profile)

Dishwasher - GE Profile 580

All comments are welcome, thanks!

Comments (49)

• chocolatebunny
    12 years ago

Can you take a closer shot of the mural behind the range? It is beautiful!

Overall your kitchen looks very warm and beautiful!

Do you like your Samsung refrigerator? We just bought one (it looks just like yours) and I am having a heck of a time keeping it clean! Our Frigidaire range and microwave don't get nearly as streaked as the refrigerator does.

• breadandsuch
    12 years ago

Congratulations!!! I love the hood!

• NewSouthernBelle
    12 years ago

It's beautiful. I am so glad to see Colonial Dream with white-ish cabinets - that is what I am planning to do. I too would love to see the mural closer up. It's so cheerful and bright.
    Three specific questions:
    1. What edge profile did you use on the granite?
    2. How wide are the upper cabinets on the sides of the window above the prep sink area?
    3. How wide are the upper cabinets flanking the hood?
    (Can you tell I am the cabinet planning stage and am analyzing how big cabinets width really are.)
    It's really lovely.

• MIssyV
    12 years ago

Beautiful! Thanks for sharing with us!

• janealexa
    12 years ago

Gorgeous! Love everything! I like that ceiling medallion for the chandelier! Thanks for sharing!

• janealexa
    12 years ago

What size tile is on your backsplash?

• blfenton
    12 years ago

Beautiful. It looks quite large but with the chosen colours and arrangements it comes across as being very warm and cozy. Nice.

• oldhouse1
    12 years ago

I know how it feels to finally have a finished kitchen. Congratulations! It's just beautiful. Yellow and Blue, one of my favorite colour combinations. Your mural is amazing. What a fantastic space to work in. Enjoy it.

• chinchette
    12 years ago

That looks great! I think you need some Le Creuset in the color Caribean Blue to celebrate.

• schoolhouse_gw
    12 years ago

I agree, very warm and inviting. Beautiful. Are you going to put a table in the corner, under the chandelier with the medallion? Love the windows.

• mratner
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks everyone, we really tried to go for the warm and cozy look, given all the shiny granite and stainless steel surfaces that detract from it.

@chocolatebunny:
    for the mural, if you click on the last picture, it will take you to my smugmug page, and then on top of it you can select a different size, including "O" for Original, which has a lot of detail.
    Alternatively, you can go to the Jerusalem Pottery web page for all murals, or just for this one (pomegranate tree and peacocks).
    The outside of the fridge is indeed a fingerprint magnet, so we'll have to find a good cleaning solution for it.

@breadandsuch
    Thank you, the hood was custom-designed (by yours truly :) and the top is actually stucco painted to match the backsplash.

@NewSouthernBelle
    Granite edge profile is Ogee throughout (counters and island)
    I'll have to get back to you on cabinet width.

@janealexa
    Thank you! Backsplash tiles are 3x6

• mratner
    Original Author
    12 years ago

@schoolhouse
    Yes, the table is under the chandelier. The windows throughout the house are original steel windows from the 1920s, except for the farthest one behind the chandelier, which is a recent replacement.

• lynn85
    12 years ago

What a beautiful kitchen, LOVE the large island and all the details you added! Fantastic job!

• elba1
    12 years ago

Looks great - especially like the hood & mural!

• Lori Ryan
    12 years ago

Wow, great kitchen. I love the backsplash detail. Really nice job!

• ginny20
    12 years ago

Just lovely! Do you have fossils in your backsplash? I love Jerusalem stone. The mural is fabulous, especially under the pretty hood. The whole color scheme is warm, and the design is elegant. Really nice job. Congratulations!

• advanced
    12 years ago

Love the kitchen, especially the backsplash.

• wizardnm
    12 years ago

What a great kitchen, lovely detail.

• dianalo
    12 years ago

Great kitchen! Love the mural and windows ;)

• mratner
    Original Author
    12 years ago

@NewSouthernBelle
    All the four cabinets you asked about are 12 inches wide.

• gsciencechick
    12 years ago

Beautiful! So warm and inviting! Love the hood, counters, and, of course, the BS!!

• biochem101
    12 years ago

Beautiful! Love an elegant kitchen.
    It has all my favorite elements. :)

Lovely choice of colors for cabinets and granite.

May I ask, is this Kraftmaid from a specialty shop, or one of the large chain hardware stores?
    It certainly looks very nicely finished.

• mratner
    Original Author
    12 years ago

@Ginny20
    I couldn't see any fossils in the backsplash, but of course it's tumbled, so it does have a lot of interesting patterns on the stone

@biochem101
    It is from a specialty shop but I don't think it makes any difference; we had a quote for exactly the same set of cabinets from Lowe's and the local shop beat it. The stained finish is fine but the painted/glazed finish had defects on several cabinet doors when they first arrived, and we had to get them replaced.

• kmmh
    12 years ago

It's great! Enjoy!

• Buehl
    12 years ago

Very nice! I especially like the island...a great "color"!

Great mural! They should be using your kitchen on their website (Jerusalem Pottery)...your application looks so much nicer than any of those on their website!

Good job!

• homechef
    12 years ago

Very lovely kitchen. Enjoy!

• mom2tykel
    12 years ago

Beautiful space! You have so much room, you are very lucky. I think the wall color is very complimentary to the whole look. What color/brand? I also love the curved edge of your island. Something I almost chose but changed last minute. Enjoy!

• laxsupermom
    12 years ago

Beautiful warm kitchen! Love that mural behind the range! Just gorgeous! Love the movement in your granite! Enjoy your beautiful new kitchen.

• mratner
    Original Author
    12 years ago

@mom2tykel
    The wall paint is Benjamin Moore in Wheatfield color.

• lisa_a
    12 years ago

What a warm and inviting kitchen! I love the backsplash's subtle color changes. It adds interest without detracting from that gorgeous mural. I'm normally not a fan of glazing but I like your cabs' glazing. It's very subtle. Could you post a close-up of a cab front, please? Thanks!

• houseful
    12 years ago

Absolutely beautiful!! I too would like to see a close up of the mural!

• rosieo
    12 years ago

I'd also like to see a close up of the mural. LOVE your kitchen! What is the name of the light over the island?

• shelayne
    12 years ago

Oh, wow is that beautiful! I love your hood and that mural is gorgeous! Love those colors!

It is really fantastic--warm and inviting. Congrats!

• cheri127
    12 years ago

Very, very nice, indeed!!!!!!!!!

• mratner
    Original Author
    12 years ago

@lisa_a
    Here is a close-up of a cabinet:

• mratner
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks so much everyone for your comments! Seeing how people love the mural I emailed Hagop Karakashian from JerusalemPottery a link to this thread, hopefully he'll see it.
    Here is a close-up of the mural. The reason it's a little dim is because in order to preserve the colors, I took the picture without a flash.

• mratner
    Original Author
    12 years ago

@rosieo
    The light fixture over the island is
    "Murray Feiss F1836/3CB 3 Light Tuscan Villa MultiLight Island Light, Corinthian Bronze"

• mama goose_gw zn6OH
    12 years ago

Your kitchen is beautiful--it has such a warm, wonderful glow. I really like the small sink area next to the fridge.

• ynnej
    12 years ago

Absolutely stunning! I am considering a backsplash mural, but I'm not sure if it will look right. We are getting granite countertops with a 6" backsplash and I am seriously considering not having tile, just using a paint that washes easily. But I still want a backsplash for the range- I'm just not sure how I could frame it without it looking funny. Anyways, good job!

• function_first
    12 years ago

Your kitchen is beautiful, the harmony of the colors and materials just makes it so serene and peaceful, you must be thrilled each time you walk in there.

The mural is fabulous, too. Nice job.

• joan2121
    12 years ago

I love your kitchen!!! My is done, or it would be in my inspiration file! Good choices on everything- love the detail on the cabinets- love the granite- the windows- the lay out- Great job!

• mtnrdredux_gw
    12 years ago

I generally dislike backsplashes, and particularly anything ornate or anything that looks like a scene or a picture over the range.

So how come I just adore yours! Proves that something really beautiful trumps any preconceived preferences.

It's a stunner. Enjoy your kitchen and take a bow.

• mratner
    Original Author
    12 years ago

@ynnej
    If you will be using a modern standalone hood, one way to do it would be to use the tile only above the range, but extending all the way to the ceiling - that would create a nice focal point, I think.

• pondlily
    12 years ago

The closeup of the door is nice, what beautiful detailing! The warm backsplash looks great with your granite, but the mural really is fantastic together with that combination!

• flwrs_n_co
    12 years ago

What a beautiful kitchen! It's so big, but because of the warm colors it feels warm and welcoming. The backsplash and mosaic are so striking together--I love the blue and yellow combination. And your cabs and granite are beautiful, too. Do you like your range? Is the oven temp accurate and does it maintain temp well?

I'm so glad I went through some pages I missed when I was away on a trip this week! Thank you for sharing. Enjoy!

• mrshanson1
    12 years ago

Someone above wrote that it is elegant and peaceful- really, that is soo true. Very well done- you made great choices. Now imagine your family parties for the upcoming holidays. Great job! I think it is stunning.

• sayde
    12 years ago

Very pretty and very carefully integrated with the elements of your old house-- the floors, windows, door casings -- everything sits very comfortably and naturally. It looks like a warm and cozy spot but at the same time looks refreshed and cheerful. Congratulations on a great job -- just right!

• Adrienne2011
    12 years ago

Wow... Very nice. I like your decorative moulding pieces and your mural backsplash. The colors complement each other so well. Someone else mentioned that they usually don't love fancy backsplashes, but they like yours, and I agree. Decorative backsplashes are rarely interesting or attractive to me, but yours POPS! It reminds me of a real painting. Your entire kitchen is beautiful, though, not just the backsplash. :o)

• kitchendetective
    12 years ago

What a lovely kitchen! I agree with above posters, especially about the peaceful quality.