Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
deedles_gw

vote! dw vs. base size? gotta order asap.

deedles
10 years ago

Help me...I gotta get off the pot on this one and get this DW ordered.

Drawer base in question will hold silverware in the top drawer and then wraps, tupperware, storage stuff in the other drawers.

Do you vote for:

A. 18" DW and 30" drawer base

B. 24" DW and 24" drawer base.

Probably going with a Miele DW either way (for sure if it's to be an 18") and it's a 4-8 wk delivery so I have to stop stewing on this and decide now.

I cook from scratch for DH and myself and do plenty of dishes, HOWEVER, I also wash the pots and pans by hand and don't mind that at all.

Just can't decide if the 6" is better served in the DW or the drawer base.

It's our forever home, we're leaving toes up, so resale isn't an issue.

A? or B?

This post was edited by deedles on Tue, Sep 24, 13 at 14:05

Comments (14)

• sjhockeyfan325
    10 years ago

Considering the purposes for which you intend to use the drawers, I vote for B. I have my silverware and plastics in a 21" drawer stack now and it's just enough room - 24" should be plenty.

• debrak2008
    10 years ago

I'm going to say option 1. I just measured my dw and 18" is not that much smaller. If it is just to two of you and you don't mind washing most pots, pans, large mixing bowls, etc by hand then you should be ok. Some here have posted that in 1 or 2 person homes they only run the dw once a week, so I would think an 18" would be ok. Now if you entertain alot then do the 24"

My silverware drawer is 36" and I would not want it any smaller. I also have a 30" untensil drawer and could not have it any smaller.

• sjhockeyfan325
    10 years ago

Considering the purposes for which you intend to use the drawers, I vote for B. I have my silverware and plastics in a 21" drawer stack now and it's just enough room - 24" should be plenty.

• Gracie
    10 years ago

B. I have a Miele and I run it every other day for the two of us. It amazes me how quickly we fill it. Miele's are configured for European dishes, so you may not have as much room as you would with a KA. For instance, the top basket is configured for teacups and saucers. We hand wash larger pots and pans.

My silverware, wraps, Tupperware, and pots and pans are in a 27" base. I have a 23" base that holds all my gadgets in the top drawer and glass baking and casserole dishes, bowls, and colanders in the other drawers. Both are 4 drawer bases with a deeper top drawer--custom. Things are stacked, but not as badly as they would be in a three drawer base.

• Gracie
    10 years ago

duplicate

This post was edited by may_flowers on Tue, Sep 24, 13 at 18:10

• annkh_nd
    10 years ago

I agree - 24" is a great size.

• deedles
    Original Author
    10 years ago

annkh: 24" is a great size for the DW or drawerbase?

:)

• GauchoGordo1993
    10 years ago

I try to avoid non-standard size appliances because I worry that they will be less reliable and more difficult & expensive to replace. And judging from the number of 18" vs 24" dishwashers on the market (17 vs 224 at ajmadison.com), I would consider 18" DW non-standard.

• jellytoast
    10 years ago

I vote for "B" ... 24 inches is plenty big enough for a drawer base to fit your purposes. As GauchoGordo says, I'd be more inclined to stick with a standard opening for the dishwasher. It may by your forever home, but this new dishwasher isn't likely to be your forever dishwasher.

• kksmama
    10 years ago

Um...would you prefer dish drawers now or in the future? I agree with Gauchogordo1993, go with "standard" when you can.

Here is a link that might be useful: 24

• annkh_nd
    10 years ago

Both! The 24" DW leaves room for the 24" drawers, right?

I have a 24" drawer stack next to the range. The top drawer is perfect for utensils; the middle one holds plastic containers; the bottom hold canisters of sugar, flour, rice, etc.

The bottom line, however, depends on exactly what you want to put in those drawers. If 24" just isn't going to be big enough, now is the time to find that out. I spent a lot of time measuring things as I was planning my kitchen, so when it came time to put things away, I didn't have any surprises.

• deedles
    Original Author
    10 years ago

annkh: I did measure my stuff and yes, 30" drawers were awesome with some room left over ^gasp^. 24" drawers will work. Less than that wasn't doable.

kksmama: Dishdrawers, yeah. I guess if I go 24 then the drawers (or drawers?) could come back into play, couldn't they (it)?

• deedles
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Well, the full-size won... big score on an ASKO panel-ready, 4 rack with some outside damage. It's totally fixable and I got it for 600.00!!

woo. hoo.

• angela12345
    10 years ago

I was also voting for B. 24" DW and 24" drawers. Especially if they are frameless ? But then I got to the end of the thread and discovered that is what you picked. 24" DW because that is standard size and 18" are often more expensive.