Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hanging a vinyl drop cloth in door opening

Posted by reader77 (My Page) on
Tue, Sep 18, 12 at 13:53

I will be having solid surface countertops installed in about 2 weeks.

The doorway from kitchen breakfast area to dining/living room is the open type. I will need to hang some kind of barrier there to keep as much "dust" as possible out. Is there any kind of tape that will not damage the wall paint too much?

There is no woodwork around doorway.

Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hanging a vinyl drop cloth in door opening

plastic and painters tape is what we are using. the areas holding the tape have cured paint though, we're not taping on the new side.

i prefer to have to touch up than to deal with all the dust.

o

I didn't find counter top install to be particularly dusty. My guys always do all their cutting, polishing and tweaking outside on the truck. The only thing they did inside was drill the faucet hole.

o

Find out how much cutting they plan to do in your kitchen. It can be very very dusty. We wrapped all our drawer slides to protect them. We taped plastic everywhere. It was well worth the effort.

o

DH uses a type of extension/tension poles with plastic to create a barrier when doing dusty jobs for people. He rigged up his own; I can try to ask him the details when he is home if you want more info. His setup looks a lot like the one I'm linking below. I tried to paste a picture (and failed.)

Here is a link that might be useful: EZ Prop poles

o

Photobucket There. It worked this time. This is from the EZ prop site.

o

I did what laughable suggests, again, rigging my own. I used 8-foot-long 1x2s, with a piece of 4x4 beneath it to make the 1x2s tight against the ceiling.

o

Thanks to everyone for ideas. I will check to see if friends have some boards for the props. etc.

o

1x2s are less than a dollar at HD.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here