Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ynnej_gw

kozmus granite durability

ynnej
12 years ago

Has anyone had Kozmus granite for a good amount of time now and how has it held up? I know about the problems with installation, but we've been told that, once installed, it is just as durable as any other granite. Wondering if this is true.

Comments (34)

• ynnej
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Please? Pretty please?

• steff_1
    12 years ago

It's a beautiful granite and I considered it about a year ago. I posted here for reviews and I have tried to search for that thread here and on google, but cannot find it.

I do remember that someone who had the granite installed on an island said she wouldn't recommend it because the garnets in it make the edge wavy and bumpy. There might have been concerns about maintenance because of the wavy bumpy edge.

After reading the comments I decided not to go with it. I went with Cosmic Black instead and I love it.

• ynnej
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I wonder if her installer wasn't very good? I saw a Kozmus countertop that was ready to be sent out and it was flawless. I do like Cosmic Black, it's lovely- but I'm crazy about the movement in Kozmus. I'm just worried that it would chip or scratch- the people at the granite showroom of course said that it wouldn't- but they don't offer any guarantees.

• steff_1
    12 years ago

Finally found the thread after trying multiple word combinations.

The Cosmos granite is the same granite or at least has similar properties. Peytonroad had concerns about chipping too.

I remembered that my main reason for switching is that I don't have enough counter visible to really make an impact with the more expensive granite so decided to go with something less colorful and have the copper sink be the main focus.

Here is a link that might be useful: Old thread

• ynnej
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you very much Steff! That thread was helpful, as was the link to the stone forum (until the conversation somehow veered into the fabricator's calling eachother "weiners" and the like-oy vey. I just wish there was someone who could tell me "I've had it for 10 years, and there is minimal scratching/ chipping." I don't mind the idea of filling in a few spots here and there, I'm just concerned that it could be a weekly or monthly thing. I'm finding it a little disheartening that people keep suggesting a rugged edge or leather finish. The one at our Fabricator's shop was polished with an eased edge and I didn't see any problems- but then again, I didn't look as closely as I probably should have

• my2sons
    12 years ago

I'm sorry I can't tell you that we've had it for 10 years.... but we do have it in our new house that we are currently moving into. We put it in our powder room, in an art niche and in our master bathroom. We have the ogee edge in all of those places and the edging came out beautifully, no waves or bumps here. Our fabricator told me that Cosmos is one of the strongest stones once installed and that we really didn't need to worry about anything staining it. As far as chipping or scratching, I can't answer that yet. Hopefully it will hold up beautifully as we expect!

• ynnej
    Original Author
    12 years ago

my2sons, are you absolutely sure it is Cosmos Granite, and not just a granite manufacturer that goes by the name Cosmos? I know there are a few. If so, then that is fantastic news! And did you get the leather or polished finished?

• steff_1
    12 years ago

LOL, ynnej! That's why I try to get my info here most of the time since everyone generally makes an effort to be pleasant even when they don't agree.

The fabricator did tell us that we would have to stick to one of the simple edges because he couldn't do a really detailed edge like the triple pencil on it.

If they will give you a sample you could try it out at home.

• my2sons
    12 years ago

It is definitely Cosmos and ours is polished. Here are some pics:

powder room right after install:

master bath vanity:

Those are the best close-up pics I have of it. The vanities are longer, but I was taking a pic of the sink/granite combo. Pictures really don't do it justice, it's so much prettier and more sparkly in real life. Our fabricator didn't blink or show any concern over our edge choice, but I suppose he might have if we'd chosen something more complicated than ogee.

• my2sons
    12 years ago

It is definitely Cosmos and ours is polished. Here are some pics:

powder room right after install:

master bath vanity:

Those are the best close-up pics I have of it. The vanities are longer, but I was taking a pic of the sink/granite combo. Pictures really don't do it justice, it's so much prettier and more sparkly in real life. Our fabricator didn't blink or show any concern over our edge choice, but I suppose he might have if we'd chosen something more complicated than ogee.

• pence
    12 years ago

i have a friend who has this and they didnt want her to get it honed bec where the "silvery" spots are, it actually flakes. Installation was bit difficult if a cut came at a very weak area but otherwise she loves it. they did upcharge her bec of the difficulty polishing and cutting such a stone

• my2sons
    12 years ago

Not sure why that posted twice... oops!

• ynnej
    Original Author
    12 years ago

my2sons, I'm drooling! Not just over the granite, but over your gorgeous sink, too! Pence, has she had it for a while? And since installation have their been any problems? Thank you so much for your responses!

• pence
    12 years ago

no, she's only had it 6 months but so far no issues

• peytonroad
    12 years ago

reviving this as I have cosmos gold. I LOVE it and if I had to do it again I would go with the simple standard straight edge. I have the ogee edge on my perimeter with a few chips from initial fabrication. The were simply epoxied in and due to the colors of the stone, it is easily hidden. Now on the island the chipping was so noticeable with the hidden epoxy that I had it redone with a straight edge. It is very durable and has not chipped at all since my moving in over a year ago. I would use again. It was expensive but it talks in the kitchen!

• 3mutts
    12 years ago

I've always heard that it is harder to fabricate (and most fabricators in our area charge $5 to $10 per sq ft more to fabricate it), but that once installed it is just as durable as other granites. The slabs are more expensive than many other granites, too, but it is va-va-voom gorgeous! We considered it but needed something that would blend across the room to our Blue Pearl fireplace, so we went with Volga Blue which we love.

I would suggest a straight edge or, on our VB, we did a 5/8" bevel and it is beautiful and I don't think it would be as susceptible to chipping like ogee or other less straight or flat edges would.

• gaspipe1
    11 years ago

can someone please write an updated reviews on this granite? I am thinking about getting this for my kitchen. The granite yard called it Asterix, I've seen it on the net called Cosmos, Kozmus and a few other names. Someone please update with a review.

Thanks in advance
    Gaspare

• bsp0418
    10 years ago

As a granite fabricator and installer i can give you an honest answer to this.
    Kozmus, cosmus, kosmus granite is not as durable as most granites. The reason for this is its composition isnt 100% granite. The sparkles you see in your granite are mica. mica itself is a very sandy, flaky material and allows air to be trapped between the layers of itself. Mica is a very soft material (hence the wavy edge mentioned above) going from the hard spots of granite, to the softer spots of mica.
    I will assume that the wavy counter top was due to the fabricator using a radial arm or router to edge the stone. once the bearing (which spins at 5,000 rpm) makes contact with the mica parts of the edge it will blow out and cause the router bit to dig. the reason your above mentioned ogee edge didnt wave, is it was probably done using a straight line polisher or cnc which will not allow the bit to dig.

• bsp0418
    10 years ago

now as far as after the installation, any rock supported right will be very durable as far as breaking.... to those of you who say it as durable as all other granites, i offer this challenge.
    Do the "scratch test." take a straight edge razor blade and run it in a 6 inch straight line, applying moderate pressure. if you choose to do this..... make sure its not in a noticeable spot as your kosmus will scratch. Most "durable" granites can take a hammer blow and not leave the slightest mark. Kosmus is weak, soft, porous, flaky and chippy due to the mica. i am not afraid to cut into summer sausage using a normal knife on most granites..... kosmus will scratch horribly.

i hope i have helped in some way, nd if there are any further questions, feel free to ask as i will give an honest un-biased answer.

• attofarad
    10 years ago

I found some honed Cosmos that the wife and I really liked. My fabricator advised against it. I tried a car key on the edge of the slab, and it scratched quite easily. So, we move on.

• gaspipe1
    10 years ago

First I would like to thank some of the pros for giving their honest opinions. For the record we went with Magma Black, which is also a delicate stone. For the most part we try to be delicate with our stuff and just loved the look of it.

My advice is: If your family are not the type to use it as a chopping block, a dance floor or a landing strip for flying pots, cups and plates then go for it.

A family member has Titanium, which I was told is a more durable stone and she chipped it while washing a pot in the sink. So at the end of the day it's a kitchen made to be used, enjoyed and a place to make memories.

PS: I never met a person with a 15 year old kitchen that doesn't want to remodel it. Bathrooms perhaps, but kitchens always need to be updated. So go for what you love, chips and scratches will not make the kitchen useless.

This post was edited by gaspipe1 on Tue, Nov 5, 13 at 10:50

• peytonroad
    10 years ago

I agree with the pro fabricator on the type of polisher/router/bit used. My fabricator "winged it" and the island was so bad i had him buy a new slab at his cost and do it right. I am pleased with my granite. I feel my issues were due to a halfa*s fabricator and not the stone itself. I have had it 3 years and no chipping or scratching. I don't overly protect it and it seems to be durable. I think my initial post of scratching was on a test piece trying to scratch it. I find it is a beautiful stone and I would buy again despite the cost. Hides dirt nicely too!

• PRO
    Granite City Services
    10 years ago

I am a fabricator.

Cosmos is a challenging stone for the fabricator. Previous reference to mica inclusions was correct. Even on installed stone mica near the surface can flake and leave a "chipped" area. However, such a chip is easily repaired.

Edges are somewhat more problematic since the material can have areas of high mica concentration that want to flake out instead of polish. We have had occasions where the only way to finish the edge was to impregnate the high mica areas with low viscosity epoxy and then finish the edge out by hand after the epoxy had set. This stone is going to have rough areas in the edge. Now, all that said, it's a beautiful stone and looks great if the fabricator has the expertise. We also charge extra to fabricate it.

• fishymom
    10 years ago

Oldryder, can you tell me if this Kozmus/Cosmos is the same or a different stone than Sedna/Magma Gold? I have been told that they are not the same stone, but I have also read comments referring to them as the same stone. Thank you for any insight!

• annalynn1
    8 years ago

We have just installed the " Cosmos Gold" granite . When we picked out this stone the sales lady did not educate us on the stone , the chips or divots as I call them were massive when we noticed them after install , also the gloss was not there like we seen in the store . They came to fill some of the divots n shine it up , The Island still has a flat look to it & there are still a lot of divots . I love to bake a lot and I am concerned about the cleaning & sanitation factor with all the divots in the stone . I would rather find a fix for this issue if any before I go further with the dealer . Thanks

• Liz T
    6 years ago

Sorry to revive an old post, but I'm looking to purchase Kosmos, and am wondering if a chiseled edge would be better or worse than a straight edge in terms of chipping...and also wondering which would hold up better (or hide the imperfections) - leathered or polished. So far this is the only slab that has won over my heart so I'm really hoping to get it to work.

• Liz T
    6 years ago

Thanks! Makes a lot of sense on the edging. Is the issue with the leathered finish that it might flake? I've read in other posts that the polished finish leaves scratches but haven't seen any pictures to understand if these would be obvious scratches or micro scratches. Was wondering if a leathered finish would help solve that problem, or if it would create more problems of it's own.

• PRO
    Granite City Services
    6 years ago

If the leathered finish is already there you're OK. I would definitely NOT recommend having a polished slab processed to a leathered finish. We tried that once on a stone like Cosmos and it turned out very badly because of the mica inclusions at the surface. I am not aware of a scratching problem with Cosmos; it's never been an issue on any of our jobs.

• Liz T
    6 years ago

Thank you so much oldryder, you have been incredibly helpful!

• Jan
    6 years ago

Just had Leathered Cosmos kitchen countertop installed today. It is a beautiful stone but......all the edges feel rough. I'm a perfectionist so I probably should have chosen a different stone. But it is pretty.

• HU-804448673
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

I have Kosmos through entire kitchen. It's my pride and joy and everywhere but the sink area has held up like any granite. Sadly, the sink area has chips and we've been relatively careful (we were warned too). It was installed 9-10 years ago. Sadly, I can't recommend it unless you go with an overmount or cut in sink type. It just couldnt handle daily wear and tear there. That said, no issues with edging at all. One install issue but more related to the installers. It's fabulous otherwise. But the chips are chunks. Its sad. It still looks brand new spectacular polished finish everywhere else.

• HU-804448673
    3 years ago

Oh, and I have the chiseled edge in a bathroom and it's perfect!

• Shannon_WI
    3 years ago

It’s such a stunning stone, I think I’d weigh its gorgeousness against a few chips and go for the gorgeousness!