Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gnancyanne

"Really fantastic broom - I know it exists" ran out of room

gnancyanne
10 years ago

On original thread, I posted that my horsehair broom arrived today and some other items, but I was most surprised by the
-size- of what is called the Comb and Brush Cleaner--tiny. (see the pic of it on my hand compared to how it looks on the webpage)

deedles, its description "...to remove hair and dust -easily- from hairbrushes, combs, brushes, brooms."

akcorcoran, I'd mentioned to Nessentials that I wondered about the cabinet broom and they told me; today, I happened to notice they updated their copy on that, too.

This post was edited by gnancy on Tue, Sep 24, 13 at 13:56

Comments (29)

• deedles
    10 years ago

Haha... a broom for brooms. Gee, this could keep going on and on like a mirror facing a mirror....

• Holly- Kay
    10 years ago

Who woulda thunk!

• romy718
    10 years ago

I did order my Gondaletta. I haven't placed my Nessential order as the list keeps growing. That comb & brush cleaner looks pretty awesome. Let us know how it works.

• gnancyanne
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I'm posting this because I've inadvertently become a broomology connoisseur. I ran across two items on MoMA store website this morning and wanted to share them.

I thought the first one was just a cute hedgehog, thinking of the hedgehog table sweeper; then, noticed the "Redecker" name. Then, I saw the broom and dust pan, also Redecker. It's ART! The broom and dustpan set really is beautiful and sculptural. (And it's what Nessentials sells, but much cheaper, well, I don't think I should use "cheaper", so I'll say less expensive and they even have $6.95 shipping. Price is even lower for members. It may be worth joining MoMA.)

• sjhockeyfan325
    10 years ago

For those who are interested in the Gondoletta, I just got one on Amazon, far far cheaper than either Nessentials or Williams Sonoma and it's a made-in-Italy natural boar bristle broom. I haven't used it much yet, but I have felt the bristles and it's obvious why it works so much better than nylon! I paid $35.00 plus shipping.

Here is a link that might be useful: Boar Hair broom on Amazon

• jellytoast
    10 years ago

LOL, deedles!!!

• gnancyanne
    Original Author
    10 years ago

No wonder I'm not getting anything done! Now, I'm thinking of returning my W-S and getting the one on Amazon. You know, W-S wants the customer to be completely satisfied.

• leela4
    10 years ago

I was following this thread before, and I was really interested in the broom and dustpan shown above. I have a back problem and as a retired PT I love the ergonomics of that set-decreased bending over. Has anyone ordered that one? I had the Nessentials one bookmarked, but I guess I'll head over to the MoMA site and take a look.

• gnancyanne
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I haven't used that one, but I do have a cheap-o little broom w/dustpan that has a long handle and I love it. It makes it so much easier to sweep up. It's a little more challenging to empty, but I'll take the trade-off. And, I love my split horsehair broom, so I'm sure the set would be worth it. I'm thinking of getting one myself.

(Now that I've become somewhat of a broom collector, I'm thinking of finding a place to install a broom closet with a glass door to showcase my collection, sort of like people who get those fancy glass door refrigerators.)

• leela4
    10 years ago

Ah but I just looked at the dimensions on both sites and the MoMA said it was 37'' tall (the Nessentials site said 90cm) so I wonder if having it that short would bug me.

The real solution for me is to get someone else to sweep (and vacuum and dust etc.) but I don't see that happening very consistently around here LOL.

• sjhockeyfan325
    10 years ago

I think the short handle would make it much easier to use "standing up" (i.e. not bending over to get the stuff into the dustpan). My lovely broom has a 51" handle, and it's great, but I couldn't wield it one-handed.

• romy718
    10 years ago

I've missed this thread & was so happy to see it today. I received my Gondeletta but have nothing to sweep so can't add an opinion.
    If anyone is interested in the Restoration Hardware black enamel dustpan (very pretty dustpan) they are having a sitewide 20% off sale.

• Holly- Kay
    10 years ago

Uh Huh, I'm taking my new broom for a spin tonight!

I love the hedgehog dust pan and broom. Heading over to MoMa................................

• Holly- Kay
    10 years ago

Whoops... the hedgehog is a door stop.

• gnancyanne
    Original Author
    10 years ago

(I was out and just got back. The first thing I did was check in here.)

leela4, If I'm not mistaken 90cm is about 35ý"; I'm pretty sure they're the same item. I didn't measure my "stand-up" dustpan, but I'd say it's handle is about that, too.

• leela4
    10 years ago

gnancy-right; I knew they were the same.

I guess my concern is that the broom handle (at that length) is shorter than I'm used to so would I bend over more to even sweep?

Oh, fussy, fussy in my old (read decrepit) age. I'll get on my (longer) broom right now and go play some quidditch.

• gnancyanne
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I was thinking that the little broom was mostly to sweep stuff into the dustpan rather than real "sweeping". Does that make sense? At least that's what I'd use it for--use a regular size broom to sweep stuff into a little (big?) pile, then either switch to the little set to get it off the floor, or use the regular broom and the long handled dustpan to get it off the floor. And maybe use the little set to sweep up something like spilled flour, or a little mess, rather than the whole floor. It's just so pretty.

This post was edited by gnancy on Mon, Oct 7, 13 at 9:02

• gnancyanne
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hello everyone,

I just had to reopen this because I ran across something funny today. Remember the "Comb and Brush Cleaner" from Nessentials? The one that fit in the palm of my hand?

Well, a new Ulta store opened up the street from me. They're like Sephora--make-up and hair products and supplies, and a salon area. I'd never been in one so today I stopped in and browsed around. Imagine my surprise when I saw this hanging on a display:

It's about 8"-10" long and the bigger end has the tines spaced out but the other end looks just like the little Nessentials one.

I think this might be even better to use on the brooms, and I might use the little one on hairbrushes.

Here is a link that might be useful: And Philip B sells the little one for $15!

• romy718
    10 years ago

Kksmama comment on another post reminded me that I hadn't ordered my split horsehair broom from Nessentials. It is no longer available!!!! I can't believe how bummed I am about not getting a broom. Searched for another seller, no luck. I'll call tomorrow and hopefully it is just temporarily out of stock. I have no broom to clean with the broom brush I ordered on Ulta.

• bellsmom
    10 years ago

Does anyone have the MoMA set? I was wondering how the folding or hinged top of the broom works. It looks as if it would add significantly to the height if it is functional, but I can't imagine holding that flat shape and sweeping it with it. Just what is its purpose?

• romy718
    10 years ago

I called Nessentials today about the split horsehair broom. It's out of stock.
    The salesperson asked me "are you part of that gardenweb group?"
    Apparently, you people bought them all. We've been very good for their business & they appreciate it. They will be back in stock in 3-4 weeks. Sigh.....talk about broom lust.

• EATREALFOOD
    10 years ago

I bought the shaker broom w/ woven top from this man http://www.broomshop.com/about/

He also sells brooms for those of you who have fireplaces.

It works great on my tile and wood flooring. He's a very nice man and I plan on ordering from him again.
    He made brooms for Harry Potter and other movies.
    I have received compliments on the broom :)

• Mgoblue85
    10 years ago

Romy - I've been waiting until after my kitchen is done to order one. If you call them back tell them there are more orders on the way...

• Beatrice_z10
    10 years ago

I haven't posted to garden web in a couple of years but this thread got me.

I live in Germany now. This house had at least 4 brooms in it when I rented it. Straw broom, push broom, angle broom, you name it. They are all lousy. I bought one, but is also sucks.

I left behind a broom that I am mourning. It went from FL to NC to GA to TX with me and I left it behind in the US thinking, "it's a broom, I'll get another one."

The broom I left behind was angled to get into corners. The bristles were well-flagged to pick up fine debris. There was also a flexible rubber dam between the bristles. If the bristles missed anything, that rubber dam caught it. I thought I would just buy another but I can't find one at any price.

Please direct me to all of these Superior German Brooms, because I have yet to find one. I'll whine about the "blue broomy thing" (dustpan with fitted whisk broom) another time.

B

• romy718
    10 years ago

Beatrice, this is the German Split Horsehair Broom that has become so popular here on GW. I believe it is made by Keller Bursten. Have you seen anything similar available in Germany?

This post was edited by romy718 on Mon, Nov 11, 13 at 16:27

• sjhockeyfan325
    10 years ago

I finally used my new broom and it is fantastic. I paid $35 plus shipping and now its $30 plus shipping. I just ordered another as a gift!

Here is a link that might be useful: Boar Hair broom on Amazon

• romy718
    10 years ago

The split horsehair broom is back in stock on Nessentials. I just placed my order. I ordered an outdoor broom also. I won't be trying that one out until spring.

• joaniepoanie
    10 years ago

How do these brooms work in corners, under cabinets, etc....I am so used to my angled broom...even though I hate the nylon bristles which things seem to cling to and then i have to scrape them off with my hand. These look like push brooms you would normally use in a garage and are harder to sweep with.

• romy718
    10 years ago

Sorry to resurrect this post but I received my brooms a couple of days ago. Opened them, thought I probably didn't need these & stuck them in the closet. Yesterday, I tried the split horsehair broom. I LOVE it! Holly-kaye is right. It does sweep like butter. I made DH try it, not as excited as me, but a positive reaction. Showed it to my KD this morning. She now "needs" one. It sweeps up the finest particles. So fine that I had trouble getting them into a dustpan. I might need that mop that was recently touted to pick those up. If you can get excited about a broom, this is it.