Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
benfb

too wide of hole in island countertop

benfb
9 years ago

I've already posted a thread in the appliance forum about cooktop choices, but this thread is asking more about design options.

I've got an island in our kitchen with a 46" cooktop with downdraft ventilation. The long term plan is to completely remodel the kitchen but for this year, I only have a budget to replace the cooktop. The problem is that I have a hole in my island countertop for a 46" cooktop, but we want the replacement cooktop to be induction, and no one sells a 46" induction cooktop. So if we buy a 36" induction cooktop, I'll have 10" of extra space on the size.

Ironically, at the same time that I have too much width, I have too little height. That is, I still need to add downdraft ventilation and none of the induction cooktops come with that integrated. So that means I need to add a pop-up downdraft system along the top of the cooktop, which in turn means cutting another 3" out of the island countertop.

So what do I do with that 10" of extra space if drop a 36" cooktop into our 46" space?

Thanks.

Comments (9)

• ajc71
    9 years ago

Cut the opening a little more and add in a gaggenau modular unit? Or go with a 30" induction and add a modular steamer, gas burner, fryer, wok sized induction..

I didn't look up the specs, but off the top of my head Gag has 16" units....second guessing that and thinking they may have been 15", if 15" add in a SS strip between the units

• Fori
    9 years ago

How big is the island? Maybe you can dump the entire top and replace it with something nice but inexpensive, like cheap butcherblock.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    9 years ago

BenFB:

What material is your countertop?

• User
    9 years ago

Do an insert with another material like Corian or butcherblock. You would need to do more electrical upgrades to install multiple cooking products. Not a good idea to do that when you could redesign the space to get a better layout with the cooktop off of the island.

• benfb
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The current countertop is butcherblock. The intent when we eventually remodel the kitchen is granite or something similar. I thought about inserting a piece of butcherblock, but it would be real obvious and stand out too much. How do you make it match?

I can't see us ever moving the cooktop away from the island. There isn't enough space with the cabinets along the walls and we don't want to change those (they match the rest of the house).

I'm going to give an electrician a call and see if I can get him to come out and give us an idea of what upgrades we'd need and how much it would cost. At least I can settle the electrical questions about what's practical and what's not.

• McMegan
    9 years ago

If it were me, I'd put slates across the bottom, and make a cutting board inset from a completely different wood--something fancy, like the link below. I'd get them to put in some sort of lift handle, so you can pick it up to clean. Then I'd pretend I designed it that way. :)

Here is a link that might be useful: Larchwood Canada

• benfb
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Cool idea!

• annkh_nd
    9 years ago

I wouldn't have thought of McMegan's idea, but I would use something contrasting instead of matching - much darker or lighter than your existing butcherblock. I'd put the new material on both sides of the cooktop.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    9 years ago

"I wouldn't have thought of McMegan's idea, but I would use something contrasting instead of matching - much darker or lighter than your existing butcherblock. I'd put the new material on both sides of the cooktop."

Yep.