Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
blue_peony

Granite countertops not what I ordered

Blue_peony
9 years ago

Hello,
There seem to be a lot of knowledgeable folks on these forums; I'm wondering if you could help me. We ordered Biano Antico granite countertops from a bigbox hardware store. When we lived in another state, we'd had a very positive experience with granite countertops from this very same chain, so we went with them again.

This time I'm sick with disappointment. The granite was installed in our kitchen this past weekend and the color is nothing, nothing, NOTHING like the samples and even entire countertops that we saw at the store. Small variations I understand. They're to be expected. But this is not even in the same color family AT ALL. Every single picture and actual countertop of Bianco Antico I've looked at is basically cream and brown. The stuff they gave is is dark gray, and almost solidly gray across large areas.

We didn't choose our slab because 1. The fabricator is an hour away and 2. The salesperson mentioned it quite off-handedly. She did not tell us that this particular stone might vary very widely in actual color. We are not experts and had such a good experience last time that we were lulled into complacency.

Do I have any hope that we could get it changed or am I just out of luck, stuck with a stone that does not match anything in the house in color or style?

Thanks for any help you can give me.

Comments (9)

• Errant_gw
    9 years ago

Have you called to let them know that the stone installed looks nothing like the sample you were shown?

• Blue_peony
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yes, and they said they'd let the installer know. I'm not feeling very confident about dealing with the installer. They lost the template for our sink and had some other issues with installation...

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    9 years ago

Blue_peony:

One of the advantages of working with the big boxes, and you won't often hear about it here, is that they will replace the tops or refund your money. You may have to squawk a bit though.

I have personal experience with this. I worked for a fabricator who had the Home Depot contract. Home Depot orders you to eat it. It's eat it or no more HD work for you. The contract for their work is much more valuable than the cost of one job.

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    9 years ago

>One of the advantages of working with the big boxes, and you won't often hear about it here, is that they will replace the tops or refund your money. You may have to squawk a bit though.

Hmm. I think it must depend on where you are. A neighbor got corian through the local orange store and the installation was just appalling. The store washed its hands of the whole thing completely and wouldn't even discuss it. Told her it was between her and the fabricator, period.

And she's a very effective squawker. :)

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    9 years ago

Meant to add that I'd definitely see if leaning on the store helps any, for sure, as a first step.

• jakuvall
    9 years ago

Don't know if this still works but if it's with orange and they still have Ben Hill call.

Here is a link that might be useful: article on Ben Hill

• User
    9 years ago

Post a picture. BA varies widely. An hour away is nothing to be able to go and pick your slab. If you didn't take advantage of that opportunity, then I doubt that they'll do much for you.

• brightm
    9 years ago

I probably wouldn't SAY that you even realized you COULD go look at the granite at the fabricators, if you haven't already.

I'd see if any paperwork said you could. If it said you could, did they have you sign off that you agreed not to go?

If it says nothing, and it doesn't say something about variation of stone, I'd think you'd be in a better position.

• Vertise
    9 years ago

I think you have a leg to stand on, in that they misrepresented with the samples. That there was an entire counter there is also in your favor, imo. If there is any chance the stone is that different than the sample, why rely on them. For a stone that varies widely, the salesperson should have advised and even insisted you go look and pick it out. A lot of people would not realize how much difference there can be, unless they've shopped yards over a period of time to see how the lots can change dramatically, even unrecognizably.

This is a sales problem, not the fabricator's issue.

This post was edited by snookums2 on Tue, Sep 16, 14 at 21:18