Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Etched carrara marble�what should we do?

Posted by shudder636 (My Page) on
Mon, Sep 3, 12 at 13:45

Here you see some nicely etched carrara marble from our kitchen countertop. This comes from a wine glass filled with vinegar (to catch flies) that, unbeknownst to us, was seeping acid onto our marble the whole time! Would that MB Stone polishing powder work?

Many thanks for any help you all can provide.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Etched carrara marble�what should we do?

Yikes! That looks more like a stain than an etch to me (the etches I have seen don't have any color.) Could you try a poultice? I'm so sorry that happened!

o

I agree that it appears to be a stain. If it was vinegar, you may have etching too, but getting rid of the stain will go a long way. What I would try it to take a small amount of Bar Keeper's Friend and see if you can gently buff out the stain with a wet sponge. You could also try a nylon scrubbie. The gentle buffing should help ease the etching as well. If you get rid of the stain but the etch is still really strong, you can buff a little more with the nylon scrubber or with a sheet of very fine (200 grit or finer -- even emery cloth) sandpaper. Clean it well and apply a new coat of sealer to the area.

I think I've read about people using bleach on marble, but I have never tried it and can't tell you if it is safe. There are instructions for various poultice methods online. If you have a sample or remnant piece from your marble, try anything on that first to make sure you are happy with the result.

o

I have the MB Stone Polishing Powder, and I can tell you it does work on etches. I have polished statutory marble and have used the MB powder to remove some etches that were bothering me and It works wonders. I have never had an etch that looks like that (is there texture to that etch?).

Also, it looks like your marble might be honed. My marble is polished - and the directions that come with with the MB powder say that you should rub the etch with the powder (and water) until the area is dry and shiny. The "shiny" part has always made me wonder if the powder works with honed stones.

Hope that helps.

o

Start with a poultice for the stain. Moisten baking powder with enough hydrogen peroxide to make a paste, and cover the ring with it. Some people leave the poultice uncovered. I cover it with plastic wrap during the day then leave it uncovered overnight until it dries. Once you've done that, you can see where you are and go from there.

o

"I cover it with plastic wrap during the day"

Turned over dinner plate is even easier.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here