Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ksblase

Should it go or should it stay- utensil bar?

Karenseb
10 years ago

Hi all,

We moved into a new house and there is a bar on the wall behind the stove which I suppose could hold pot and pans or utensils. I am not sure how I feel about it, but I found some ladles and strainers that might liven up the area. I took the bar with S hooks down to clean it and discovered that I could permanently remove it, but I would have to grout holes and touch up some chips on the tile. I am pretty handy at camouflage and if I find the right color grout, it might not be noticeable.
My first thought when we moved here was to get rid of it, but I have since hung some items up and now I am not sure.
Should it go or should it stay?

Comments (16)

• sixkeys
    10 years ago

I would keep it first and see if you like the way it looks and functions. You can always get rid of it later.

• vpierce
    10 years ago

I've always thought anything hanging behind the cooktop like that would get greasy...but I've never had that setup.

• localeater
    10 years ago

I agree with rebecca, try it for a while. It could be very useful and you may love it. IKEA has some great and hanging things- check out their Grundtal system.
    I think you new kitchen is lovely BTW.

• kksmama
    10 years ago

Very nice looking kitchen, congratulations! Someone sweated a lot of those details, do give them a try before throwing them out. Perhaps do a houzz search for utensil bar and see if you like any of the results?

• suzanne_sl
    10 years ago

I agree, try it out as long as it's there. Personally, I'm not sure I use a given utensil often enough that I could use it from the bar without at least rinsing off the dust and grub. If you still have a bunch of growing kids who need lots of feeding, it might be great. At my house, we're down to the two of us and I'm planning on sticking a piece of pizza in the MW for breakfast.

• Mgoblue85
    10 years ago

In my old kitchen I had a bar on the wall next to my stove and I really liked it. It was easy to see and grab whatever I needed. The utensils did get a bit greasy, but my ventilation was lacking. To combat that you could just hosed them down in the DW every so often. In my current reno, I'm thinking about doing another bar on the side wall versus the back...just to avoid reaching over a hot, steamy pot.

• Karenseb
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Rebecca, Localeater, and Suzannes: Thanks for your suggestion to live with it a while.

Kksmama; I did do a Houzz search on hanging utensils and it was a big help and gave me some ideas of what to hang and how it looks. I bought a few things at my favorite discount store and hung them up and it does brighten up the area.

Mgoblue: It is good to know you liked the one you had. I will give it a try. I think cleaning items once in a while in the dishwasher is a good idea. The hard part is cleaning the tile and utensil bar hooks.
    My husband has been using the egg separator I had hung there a couple weeks ago and it's quicker than looking in a drawer!

• kksmama
    10 years ago

Very pretty! I love those open pullouts under the rangetop! Did you buy this house new, or were you smart/lucky enough to buy a well thought out kitchen with a house?
    I have no plans to move, but if I ever do I'll find a fellow GWer who is moving and buy her house!

• Mgoblue85
    10 years ago

Karen - I love how the hanging utensils look, even if they're not functional. You are right, they really provide interest against the BS. I would definitely keep it with the realization that it's an additional item to keep clean.

• heidihausfrau
    10 years ago

I like the way that looks and it should be very functional. My vote is to keep.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    10 years ago

I was going to say exactly what Heidi wrote.

Congrats on your new house!

• chinchette
    10 years ago

I like it. It complements the design of the kitchen. I'd be keeping that.

• cookncarpenter
    10 years ago

Another vote for keeping it!... especially if you cook, and don't just use it for display items

• nightowlrn
    10 years ago

Keep

• Vertise
    10 years ago

Vote to keep. It's a nice touch that adds a lot to the look of your kitchen. You could always hang things off to the sides if they get a bit greasy. I always wonder how that works out too. Some people even hang pans over the range.

This post was edited by snookums2 on Mon, Sep 30, 13 at 0:50

• Karenseb
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you all for your very nice comments. I think I may add a couple more utensils!