Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Should it go or should it stay- utensil bar?

Posted by Karenseb (My Page) on
Sat, Sep 28, 13 at 13:44

Hi all,

We moved into a new house and there is a bar on the wall behind the stove which I suppose could hold pot and pans or utensils. I am not sure how I feel about it, but I found some ladles and strainers that might liven up the area. I took the bar with S hooks down to clean it and discovered that I could permanently remove it, but I would have to grout holes and touch up some chips on the tile. I am pretty handy at camouflage and if I find the right color grout, it might not be noticeable.
My first thought when we moved here was to get rid of it, but I have since hung some items up and now I am not sure.
Should it go or should it stay?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Should it go or should it stay- utensil bar?

I would keep it first and see if you like the way it looks and functions. You can always get rid of it later.

o

I've always thought anything hanging behind the cooktop like that would get greasy...but I've never had that setup.

o

I agree with rebecca, try it for a while. It could be very useful and you may love it. IKEA has some great and hanging things- check out their Grundtal system.
I think you new kitchen is lovely BTW.

o

Very nice looking kitchen, congratulations! Someone sweated a lot of those details, do give them a try before throwing them out. Perhaps do a houzz search for utensil bar and see if you like any of the results?

o

I agree, try it out as long as it's there. Personally, I'm not sure I use a given utensil often enough that I could use it from the bar without at least rinsing off the dust and grub. If you still have a bunch of growing kids who need lots of feeding, it might be great. At my house, we're down to the two of us and I'm planning on sticking a piece of pizza in the MW for breakfast.

o

In my old kitchen I had a bar on the wall next to my stove and I really liked it. It was easy to see and grab whatever I needed. The utensils did get a bit greasy, but my ventilation was lacking. To combat that you could just hosed them down in the DW every so often. In my current reno, I'm thinking about doing another bar on the side wall versus the back...just to avoid reaching over a hot, steamy pot.

o

Rebecca, Localeater, and Suzannes: Thanks for your suggestion to live with it a while.

Kksmama; I did do a Houzz search on hanging utensils and it was a big help and gave me some ideas of what to hang and how it looks. I bought a few things at my favorite discount store and hung them up and it does brighten up the area.

Mgoblue: It is good to know you liked the one you had. I will give it a try. I think cleaning items once in a while in the dishwasher is a good idea. The hard part is cleaning the tile and utensil bar hooks.
My husband has been using the egg separator I had hung there a couple weeks ago and it's quicker than looking in a drawer!

o

Very pretty! I love those open pullouts under the rangetop! Did you buy this house new, or were you smart/lucky enough to buy a well thought out kitchen with a house?
I have no plans to move, but if I ever do I'll find a fellow GWer who is moving and buy her house!

o

Karen - I love how the hanging utensils look, even if they're not functional. You are right, they really provide interest against the BS. I would definitely keep it with the realization that it's an additional item to keep clean.

o

I like the way that looks and it should be very functional. My vote is to keep.

o

I was going to say exactly what Heidi wrote.

Congrats on your new house!

o

I like it. It complements the design of the kitchen. I'd be keeping that.

o

Another vote for keeping it!... especially if you cook, and don't just use it for display items

o

Keep

o

Vote to keep. It's a nice touch that adds a lot to the look of your kitchen. You could always hang things off to the sides if they get a bit greasy. I always wonder how that works out too. Some people even hang pans over the range.

This post was edited by snookums2 on Mon, Sep 30, 13 at 0:50

o

Thank you all for your very nice comments. I think I may add a couple more utensils!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here