Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
callmejane

Calling all stone experts and otherwise...

CallMeJane
10 years ago

Hi all,

My kitchen cabs are set for installation in a couple of weeks. (yeay!!) I am going with gray stained perimeter cabs and walnut stained cabs for two islands. I was initially all set on White Macaubus as my stone, thinking I can use the backsplash to warm things up.

My dilemma: Corteccia makes my heart sing. I recently discovered it. I have seen it on plenty of website, but some market it as a marble, and others a quartzite. I NEED a quartzite in my kitchen.
I asked a fabricator that I am potentially using and he says its a quartzite. The stoneyard itself labels is a quartzite. Does anyone know for sure if Corteccia is a marble or a quartzite?

Secondly, given the description of my kitchen above, would you go with the white macaubus/luce de luna or the corteccia.
Im attaching a picture of the corteccia.

Thanks guys!!

Comments (16)

• pentimento
    10 years ago

I suggest performing the 'scratch test', as explained by our charming and knowledgeable gardenweb geologist, karin_mt. Follow the link below...

Here is a link that might be useful: test to distinguish quartzite from marble

• chicagoans
    10 years ago

When you say you need a quartzite, I'm assuming that you're looking for durability?

If that's the case, I believe that quartzites, being natural stone, have varying levels of durability. I would recommend taking home samples of your two front runners and doing lots of tests: etch tests with lemon juice and tomatoes; stain tests with red wine, soy sauce, oils, etc.; scratch tests with a key. Bang a pot on them. Do all the things you hope no one will ever do to your counters and see how the samples hold up.

Caveat: I'm no stone expert. But this is what I did with my stone samples.

BTW: the Corteccia is gorgeous! I've also seen some beautiful Luce de Luna on GW, too. I think for people to comment on one stone versus the other it would help to have pictures of sample cabinet doors (perimeter and island) in front of each slab.

• RoRo67
    10 years ago

I love the Corteccia! It will blend in perfectly with your walnut stained cabinets and the painted gray cabinets. It will bring a warmth to the entire room. Have you thought about a full height backsplash? I think that would be smashing in the Corteccia. Post some photos when you get your cabinets in so we can see what the shades will look like, but based on what you said, I think the Corteccia will be the best. All three are great choices.

• RoRo67
    10 years ago

I love the Corteccia! It will blend in perfectly with your walnut stained cabinets and the painted gray cabinets. It will bring a warmth to the entire room. Have you thought about a full height backsplash? I think that would be smashing in the Corteccia. Post some photos when you get your cabinets in so we can see what the shades will look like, but based on what you said, I think the Corteccia will be the best. All three are great choices.

• ck_squared
    10 years ago

I, too, love Corteccia and am contemplating this slab... the place I saw mine says it's marble. I've seen it twice and both times he said, "it will etch, it will stain." I'm trying to decide if I can live with that because this is at the top of my list.

Online, I've seen Corteccia labeled as both marble and quartzite so I'm afraid I have to believe the seller when he says it's marble.

• ck_squared
    10 years ago

By the way, my sister in law has White Macaubus on her island and it is gorgeous. I'd go with that if she didn't already have it. It's been bulletproof for her. You should seriously consider it if you want easy care.

• drhomeideas
    10 years ago

CallMeJane, could you post a picture of your cabinet colors? They sound like they would look wonderful w/the Corteccia.

• CallMeJane
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the responses and for the link to karin_mt's very insightful talk. I guess I doubt myself when I hear stories like 'beekeeperswife'. I cook with spices that stain like tumeric, so I dont want to chance it. But when you decide on a Honda, and find out you can get a BMW in the same price (corteccia is $10 more per sq ft, but a different fab is doing the job within the allowance the guy doing the white macaubus), you have to entertain the idea. I guess the scratch test will be the teller.

CK-did you do the scratch test? Or why bother when they are saying it will stain and etch, right...sigh.

Anyhow, below is a picture of the porchswing stain (courtesy of live_wire_oak when I was trying to find the gray stain look). Ill find one for the brown stain.

Thanks again for the responses. You guys are great!

• CallMeJane
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Edited for better picture below.

This post was edited by CallMeJane on Wed, Sep 4, 13 at 17:36

• karin_mt
    10 years ago

Hey Jane (if I can call you Jane...)

Stoneyards aren't very good at knowing one rock from another, so I strongly encourage you to give it a go and do the test yourself. It's very easy and it prevents you from relying on information that is potentially incorrect. Empower yourself by getting your own answers!

The slab with the strong linear pattern is very cool. That would make me swoon for sure!

Do you have samples on hand you can try the tests with?

• CallMeJane
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Duh! I have sample doors. The porchswing looks very light though. IRL, its closer to the other pic I posted.
    Thanks again!

• kaysd
    10 years ago

I have White Macaubas with walnut cabinets and love the combination. The Corteccia slab is gorgeous if you prefer warmer coloring. I think either stone will work with the walnut, but I'm not sure about that particular shade of gray. You need to visit the slabs with your door samples, if you have not already done so.

• CallMeJane
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Karin_mt- thanks for chiming in as THE stone expert ;o)

I have to drive 1.5-2 hrs to go to the stone yard. Actually, the closet fab had me set on WM. I just spoke with my builder that said that Im not tied down to the KDs fabricator. So now I can look with more diligence.

Yes, because the gray is a cold look, I thought the corteccia would warm it up a bit. But again, if I find out that the stone indeed is a marble, I may go back to WM, and warm it up with the backsplash.

Kaysd-do you have any pictures of your kitchen?

ck_squared-what color are your cabs?

Thanks for all the responses.

• CallMeJane
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Not sure why it posted so many times...

This post was edited by CallMeJane on Wed, Sep 4, 13 at 18:29

• CallMeJane
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Over zealous with the submit button... :o)

This post was edited by CallMeJane on Wed, Sep 4, 13 at 18:30

• ck_squared
    10 years ago

Hi Jane,
    My cabinets are walnut with a mocha lite stain; almost natural looking I hope (they are all in boxes upstairs in the family room!). My GC is pricing out 3 slabs for me including the Corteccia. I have the 2 others as back ups in case I get cold feet with the marble. I did try to do a scratch test with a small piece of Cambria (my perimeter counters) and nothing happened. I forgot to bring a bottle with me both times I went to see the slab.