Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
phiwwy

What would you do with the end of this island?

phiwwy
11 years ago

KD has pointed out that the fluted posts at the ends of the island leave an uneven amount of the frame around the panel showing. In this picture, you may be able to see (maybe not) that the left side is 1/2" narrower than the right side.

If they remake the fluted post on the right side, then the 4 flutes will have to spread out just a bit, because the post will need to be 1/2" wider. I'm thinking that will be quite noticable.

Do we live with the even posts but uneven panel?

The most painful approach for KD would be to remake the left posts so that they stick out farther to the left. That involves both the corner posts, plus 2 more applied 1/2 posts that are spaced out along the long side of the island. I want to be reasonable here....

What would you do or suggest? (note that there were a few other things that I have asked him to revise/remake and he's agreed to do so). Thanks!

Comments (26)

• likewhatyoudo
    11 years ago

I think it looks fine as is and from almost any angle but straight on it will look even because of the angle and shadow. I would leave it as is. No one else will notice this minor glitch.

• PRO
    Tom Carter
    11 years ago

I had to look three times to see what the issue was. Would you have noticed if the KD had not mentioned it? Is it in a very visual spot - like where people enter the kitchen and see it head on?
    If not, I'd just leave it.
    tc

• phiwwy
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Me - I would have noticed. I notice everything that's off/not symmetrical/not level or plumb. Yes it's head on as you enter the kitchen, and as you enter from the back door. I agree, the shadow helps a lot, and perhaps with the counter top overhang there will be even more shadow.

Also, there will be moldings at the top, under the counter top. So that may disguise it a bit. Keep the comments coming! Thanks so much.

• ILoveRed
    11 years ago

I would leave it alone. Even after you describe the problem, it's hard to find.

Beautiful cabinets.

• arch123
    11 years ago

Maybe if it bothers you that much in time you could put in a book / magazine rack attached to that end of the island providing this is not what you see entering from like the dinning room etc?

• blfenton
    11 years ago

Are the fluted legs on the island in the right spots? Is it too late to have the panel taken off and have it remade so the molding is even on each side?

• Alex House
    11 years ago

Remake or recenter the panel. If you can pull the panel, then recenter it. If you can't pull the panel, then have a newer, thinner one made and center it as a face cover. You lose a bit of depth, but you gain the symmetry.

• islanddevil
    11 years ago

Doubt anyone will notice unless you point it out to them and it will be less noticable with the countertop on. I commend your designer for being meticulous, but that's one I'd probably leave alone if the fix is a hassle or very spendy. What does your KD think?

• michoumonster
    11 years ago

if it really bothers you, maybe replace the inset panel with a completely flat panel? i think because the fluted ends are so nice they would look fine with a plain panel in between too.

• Elraes Miller
    11 years ago

It is difficult to tell from the pic, but is the cabinet square? Appears that the right side is further out. If the floor is straight on, the right flute is sitting about a 1/2" more toward you on the floor. I may be the one too detailed.

Have you measured both sides, back and front as seen in photo from where you were standing. It is hard to imagine they made a mistake on the panel. When the top is on as others have suggested, it may take away from the difference in what you are seeing.

• phiwwy
    Original Author
    11 years ago

technicolor - I can't believe you picked up on that from the photo. You are exactly right - the right corner flute is more toward you - it's deeper than the other flute on the left. and deeper than it's match at the other end of the island.

I like the idea of making a thinner panel and applying it. Or remaking the panel. No, the flutes are not permanently attached yet, but the island is attached to the floor so it may not be viable. The depth of the right flute could be fixed however.

Thanks all.

• mydreamhome
    11 years ago

From the picture, I really don't notice it. You put the granite on top and you likely won't notice it either much less anyone else coming into your kitchen. I would leave it and not worry about it--and that's saying alot as I am very picky and tend to see the flaws when things aren't symmetrical.

Hope this helps!

• eam44
    11 years ago

I agree w/ blfenton and AlexHouse - re-center or re-make the panel. It totally shows.

• Elraes Miller
    11 years ago

Detail person back. I think there is a gap at the upper right hand corner or the box is wider at this position which made the end panel a different size than the other end. If the corbels are not on yet, this can be fixed on site. Better yet, have the entire box redone. Far too much expense in all for you to have an ill fitting end. I would think your cabinet installer could very easily support you in doing so. He sounds like he wouldn't want this to look the way it does either.

• phiwwy
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks GWers for your help! They're going to fix it. I'm thrilled.

Now I have another delimma - this cabinet pictured is the upper, which will hold the microwave. It's going over a desk-height lower. We had planned for decorative brackets under the upper, like we will have on our long cabinet run.
    This one will go into a corner, against a wall, on the left side facing the cab. They have a filler to allow for tolerance against the wall.

I'm not sure whether to use the brackets now. I've taken 3 pictures - one with the brackets under the frame of the cabinet, one with the bracket under the filler and against where the wall would be, and one without the brackets at all.

fyi we also will have a small light valance that will have to (on the right) die into the bracket, and (on the left) die into the wall.

Should I eliminate the brackets? If not, where do you think they should be placed? Against the wall or slightly off the wall and under the cabinet frame?
    Thanks!

• phiwwy
    Original Author
    11 years ago

The first picture shows the bracket on the left placed under the filler.

The 2nd picture shows the bracket a little closer in, more under the frame. Sorry, it's really hard to show this effectively.

• phiwwy
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Obviously this shows without the brackets.

Fyi, if I do eliminate the brackets (where were pricey), I will still have my backsplash tile between the counter top and the upper, so there will be something pretty there. I just liked the brackets but I don't like the idea of the one being under the filler....

• springroz
    11 years ago

If you move it away from the wall, that will make a place for sp- sp- spiders to live. I would put it against the wall.

Nancy

• Sharon kilber
    11 years ago

The door on the left has more wood showing on the side than then the door on the right side. On the microwave cabinet. Or does it just look that way?

• Sharon kilber
    11 years ago

The door on the left has more wood showing on the side than then the door on the right side. On the microwave cabinet. Or does it just look that way?

• GrammyMyrna
    11 years ago

One major thing I've learned from building 4 homes; what bothers you now likely won't bother you once you move in.

I'd leave it alone, it looks fine to the normal eye.

• phiwwy
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks, yes I've left it. the more wood on the left is filler, because that side is against a wall. It's up and it looks fine. I'm glad I kept the brackets, they're quite pretty.

• TxMarti
    11 years ago

I like the brackets, and I think they'll be fine either place, but I'd probably put them directly under the frame, not the filler. But that also depends what is next to that cabinet, which I only guess is a row of cabinets.

btw, I LOVE your floor, and I do believe I have those same shoes. Are they Saucony?

• phiwwy
    Original Author
    11 years ago

This is a single cabinet, on the left it's against a wall (in a corner). So I put the bracket under the filler against the wall.

Thanks re: the floor and shoes :-) shoes are new balance (LOL) and the floor is home depot red oak stained Minwax Jacobean.

• localeater
    11 years ago

I think you made the right choice putting the bracket under the filler and against the wall. Otherwise, you would have had a tiny gap, right?
    I am dealing with this issue too now, so I thank you for sharing your problem and your solution.
    Can't wait to see all your finished pictures, it is looking very lovely.

• phiwwy
    Original Author
    11 years ago

yes, there would have been a 1/2" gap.

these little nuances are tricky, right?!?