Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nauset

Show me your wall mounted pot racks or warming shelves

nauset
15 years ago

I thought I could do the same treatment as my daughter, (see Pic), but her stainless backsplash with a built in shelf is made to attach to a Wolf stove.

{{!gwi}}

I am back to figuring out what will work for me. My range is a stainless Kitchenaid duel gas slide in with a Best hood (same as the one pictured in my daughter's kitchen).

Now IÂm not even sure if I want a stainless backsplash. I definitely want a shelf treatment have been looking at options on line. My cabinets are going in tomorrow and I donÂt want to rush on the treatment over the range. Any suggestions or pictures would be welcomed.

Thanks in advance

Comments (23)

• bluekitobsessed
    15 years ago

I looked hard at doing something like that but ended up going with a utensil rail off to the side instead. I may have a smallish shelf made out of a granite scrap to put directly above the range despite some impracticalities (hard to clean in case of spatters, heat will mess up spices stored up there, etc).

I understand that it's relatively inexpensive for a sheet metal worker to fabricate something, but one of the reasons cowards like me end up buying the Official Mfr Approved Version Shelf is the mfr's warranty, which can be voided if something unapproved gets too close to the range. (I have the low trim kit, which you can't see in this pic.) I also found a couple of pot racks only websites -- potracksgalore and potracksource, IIRC.

I tried a Pottery Barn metal shelf but couldn't install it -- NOT recommended.

Anyway, here's a pic of my Thermador and $20 All Clad utensil rail.

• ccoombs1
    15 years ago

I bought a stainless steel shelf from IKEA for around $15 and mounted it to the wall under my hood. I grooved out the sheetrock a bit so the brackets will be flush with the sheetrock and will be under the back splash tile. The finished look will be nice! And since it's stainless, the heat from the cooktop and heat lamps in the hood won't hurt it a bit. IKEA sells hooks that go on it so you can hang stuff from it. Sorry I don't have a better picture of it.

Here is a link that might be useful: IKEA shelf

• nauset
    Original Author
    15 years ago

ccombs1~
    That is the look I want. Thanks so much for taking the time to post. I think?? some of my cabinets are going in tomorrow.
    What type of fasterners did you use? I see on the Ikea site that the hole spacing is 30 3/8" apart for mounting. I do have a place that will make me a stainless backslash.

They hung the hood today. I will ask tomorrow what my cabinet guy thinks. He made all the cabinets (rare today). Ikea want $20 for shipping. The closest store is about 1 ½ hours away (I am on Cape Cod). Probably would be worth the shipping.

I though this item would be easy to deal with, but is anything easy in this???
    Your cabinets are beautiful!! Are you still in the middle of construction or a these pictures from earlier?

Bluekit- I went on the sites you recommended for pot racks. Lots of selection I got a quote of about $80 for a piece of stainless cut to my measurements. All this because I love it when I am at my daughterÂs and heat a coffee cup, etc on her shelf!! It also does a great job of warming dinner plates.

• ccoombs1
    15 years ago

Thanks. I am still in the middle of construction. We are building this house ourselves (although I did get a cabinet shop to make my cabinets for me). We hope to move in around christmas. The spacing for screws in this shelf is totally crazy. It's because they are European. See how messed up my sheetrock behind that shelf is? It's because I cut holes in the rock so I could put some 2x4 blocking behind the shelf to screw in to. The blocking is secured with screws to the stud that is in the middle, and then I screwed thru the rock into the ends of the blocking. It is REALLY strong now! I used some galvanized decking screws to secure the shelf to the studs. the whole bracing project only took me maybe an hour. Not too bad.

• nauset
    Original Author
    15 years ago

ccoombs1
    You are remarkable!! Good luck on your project!! It will be outstanding when it is done!!
    I copied your instructions for how you mounted your shelf into a document along with your picture and the one on the Ikea site. I will print it out so Brian (my wonderful cabinet maker) can advise me on how practical this would be for me.

• ccoombs1
    15 years ago

Thanks. This is our 3rd house. My hubby is disabled this time around though, so a lot more of it is falling on me. This is my forever home though, so I don't mind. I am just so happy it is this close to completion. It really looks like a house now! Good luck on your project. I think you will really like this shelf. I only wish I had though about putting one up before I put the tile in the tub surround. It would have been really handy in there.

Cindy

• ccoombs1
    15 years ago

I forget this. I had originally planned on putting the shelf up with those really nice plastic wall anchors. You screw them right into the sheetrock and they hold a lot of weight!! But I discovered that when I peeled the paper off the front of the rock so I could recess the bracket, I weakened the sheetrock too much for the anchors to hold. And after I thought about it, those wall anchors are great when all the forces upon them is straight down....like from a picture hanging on the wall. This shelf would put more of an outward pull on them so I don't think they would have worked anyway. Putting some wood behind them was really the only way I could see to make the shelf good and strong.

• nauset
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Ccombs1~I hope you are still out there. I purchased the Ikea shelf and it arrived last night. My contractor told me he could cut it down so it would fit on the 30" stainless backsplash. The idea was to cut into the rock and the stainless panel would cover the mess. I thought this would be no problem, BUT I see there are threads for screws at the end of each rod. Question? Do you think the treads could be popped out and put into the shortened rods? Work has slowed as more cabinets are being made so workers are not here to give me their ideas.

If I mount it in its intended length it just misses on both sides- hits the edges of the backsplash. I love the shelf and hope it can be worked outÂTHANKS if you are out there.
    Carole

• ccoombs1
    15 years ago

I am not sure if the threaded plug can be popped out or not. But here's another idea. What if you got some of that two-part expoy plumbers putty and packed the cut end of the steel tube. Let it dry well, and then re-drill a new hole in the center of it. That putty dries rock hard and is drillable....I actually use it to restore antique pottery. The rods won't move anyway once the shelf is installed. You just need something solid in the end of that tube for the screw to bite in to.

Hope this works for you!

Cindy

• nauset
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Cindy~ Whata great idea about the epoxy plumbers putty. Also I realized I only have to cut one end of each rod. That means that they can be alternated so that each side will have three rods with the supplied threads.

I read your post about the withdrawal when your floors were drying and I am relating to that nowÂwaiting for work to start up again. I love your practical advice! You are the Residential GC on the forum!!
    Carole

• ccoombs1
    15 years ago

I bet the plumbers putty and alternating the rods will work perfectly for you. I think this shelf is quite a bargain and will work SO well! I love that it is made of rods instead of being solid.

This whole "waiting game" drives me nuts!! But soon (tomorrow actually) we can get back in there and go back to work. I think my cabinet guy is coming in 2 weeks to get the crown molding and the light rail installed. I love my kitchen so much already, I can't imagine how nice it will look with crown!

Be sure to post a picture of your shelf after you get it up. I can't wait to see it!

• nauset
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Ccombs (Cindy)~ I hope you are still out there. I saw your post about your tile..I love it.

Update on the Ikea Grundtal shelf ~ My cabinet guy was able to pop the threaded plug out after he cut the rods. He fashioned a dowel to fit and somehow got them to pop, so now it is the right size..he's amazing. However it still isn't mounted..maybe tomorrow.
    I had a sheet metal shop cut me a piece of stainless backsplash. It was relatively inexpensive and the shelf was a bargain.
    This process has been so long, but I can see the end coming. I will post a picture when (and IF) the shelf and backsplash is finally done.

• ccoombs1
    15 years ago

I am looking forward to seeing your shelf all installed and tiled over. I'm really glad your contractor figured out a way to make your shelf usable for the size of your space. I got the top part of my tile done this evening and it's amazing how easy it is to tile right over the steel brackets and the cut up sheet rock.

• nauset
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Cindy~ I am doing a panel of stainless over the range..not tile ~should be done on Wed...now I am feelng presure to decide about a backsplash on the other walls. I want white subway in a brick pattern. How do I start??? Are there any online sites that you would recommend? As I have said before, I am on Cape Cod and it can be limited with places to see tile...

I am also still on the fence about paint. Somehow these details at the end want me to JUST TAKE A BREAK!!

• nauset
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Cindy~ I hope you are still out there..Finally got the shelf mounted!! Look closely and you will see they mounted the bracket upside down!!...But it is working. The one time when I left...

Still waitng to paint and decide on backsplash. How is your work coming?? You are the one who led me the the bagain Ikea shelf. I love it~ There is a LONG story about the exposed upper shelves on both side of the range. I have grown to love them..still looking for final things to put in them. I will bump this if you don't see it.
    Carole

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

• ccoombs1
    15 years ago

That looks wonderful! I am so glad it worked out for you! Here's a picture of mine all tiled up, but without the grout. It is grouted now and looks even better. I am so glad I did this.

• nauset
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Cindy~ Have you started cooking in your kitchen yet? I love using the shelf as another warming area while other food cooks.

As to the open shelves on the sides of the hood story ~ I had alreday bought the hood and it created A LOT of problems as my range had to be kitty corner and upper cabinet doors to either side of the hood presented clearance problems. My cabinet maker suggested the open shelves...I didn't have much choice so went ahead. Would you believe I now LOVE them now...My DD saw the kitchen for the first time last weekend and I was nervous about her comments...she liked the shelves!! Go figure...

I'm now anxious to get painting and maybe tile backsplash done, but will probably wait until after the holidays.
    Thanks for you support.

• ccoombs1
    15 years ago

Nope....not cooking there yet. But we have our power permit so within a week we will have electricity and will move in. The gas line is already in place. We are working so hard to get moved in by Christmas and having Christmas dinner for our family in the new house and it looks like we will make it, with a week to spare. lol!

I think your open shelves at each side of your hood look great!

• gorney8
    7 years ago

@nightowl. Where did you get just the racks? I've only seen them attached to a stainless backsplash.

• User
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

This is a conversation about them. And more photos. Love them!!! Make sure you put blocking behind the space for anchoring. http://ths.gardenweb.com/discussions/3595018/same-old-question-blue-star-or-wolf-from-real-owners-please-reply

Stevep - thank you again. As an update for anyone who stumbles onto this information. Faxon no longer sells these parts. But, they kindly provided me with the CNP sales number. Amazingly, the prices are the same as 10 years ago. Great service.

Warming shelf rack - #10028, MSRP = $36.40 ea
    Upper clip - #10089 (one per shelf), MSRP=$5.80 ea
    Lower clip - #10089 (two per shelf), MSRP= $5.80 ea
    Shipping cost is additional (was around $11 for me)
    Wind Crest
    CNP Industries, Inc. - 1-877-387-6721

Question - I have a 54" space. Should I have ordered 3 shelves?

• healdsburger
    6 years ago

Nightowl & stevep - many thanks for posting pix, the CNP warming racks were exactly what I was looking for!

But a heads-up if anyone else plans to order - there seems to be a typo on the clip model numbers shown previously.

The Upper and lower clips are different with distinct model #'s ...

I Ordered one shelf today from CNP Industries and here's what they put together for me. (and prices).

Item ID Description $/unit
    #10028 Warming Shelf (1) $45
    #10089 Upper Clip (1) $4.50
    #10090 Lower Clip (2) $4.50 each

plus shipping
    Wind Crest
    CNP Industries, Inc. - 1-877-387-6721

• bagofchips
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

I did the CCoombs treatment with the IKEA Grundtal shelf as well. 36” commercial range and hood with heat lamps from KitchenAid. It’s 11” drop (20” above range) but I think 7” or 8” would keep a little warmer. Food is warm enough to eat at 11” but I think could be warmer. No warming lights are going to keep food as good as just-prepared. Who knows, maybe at 7” the food would dry out. 11” is aesthetically better (rule of thirds) but provides way too much room - few things you want to keep warm are 11” tall. So maybe 8” or 9”! Note the specific shelf height should be guided by grout lines.