Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mercymygft_gw

Medallion vs. Kraftmaid

Mercymygft
12 years ago

I just received a quote for kitchen cabinets for both Medallion and Kraftmaid from the same store. Both in similar styles and finishes (I'm using both Maple in a white & Cherry in Espresso), plywood construction, moldings, etc.

They matched the Kraftmaid discount they were running to the Medallion cabinets and the quotes came within $35 of each other!

So which would you choose?

Comments (32)

• dilly_ny
    12 years ago

Medallion plywood construction is the designer gold series. Is that what you are comparing?

• Mercymygft
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Yes, the door style I chose is in the designer gold series.

• dilly_ny
    12 years ago

As a perception, I think Medallion Designer Gold is viewed as higher end than Kraftmaid which is viewed as home depot. All other things being equal, I would go with the Medallion.

• mskitchen
    12 years ago

We're in the final stages of building a new home and we chose Medallion for the kitchen and 2 of the bathrooms, I didn't even consider Kraftmaid. I had Brookhaven and Woodmode in my other home but that quote was just really too high and we're overbudget as it is. I have maple hazelnut with a glaze on the perimeter and oyster heirloom with glazing and distressing on the island, i LOVE the color of the island, was a little bit concerned about my choice but it worked out fine. From what I"ve seen so far, the construction is great, I asked for all cabinets to be end paneled, crown molding on top and trim on the bottom of the cabinets, the wood hood is very attractive, soft close drawers and doors and panels on the frig and dw, everything was done very nicely.

Good Luck!

• pence
    12 years ago

medallion

• Mercymygft
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Well I just came from the cabinet place and met with the designer there and we went over my design and tweeked it here and there. I really love the finishes on the Medallion cabinets.

Kompy... 6 years ago I reno'd the kitchen where I live now and you were very helpful to me with the 1000+ questions I had. Now here I go again, in a different house this time. I probably have a few less questions this go round.... so like 957+ ;-)

Thanks everyone for the vote of confidence with Medallion!

• Daicey
    12 years ago

My Medallion cabinets are newly installed & I love them. I'm really happy with the quality.

• Mercymygft
    Original Author
    12 years ago

mskitchen and Daicey... I would love to see pictures of your cabinets!!

• mskitchen
    12 years ago

I'll take pictures this weekend, the challenging part though is posting them here, tried before and it didn't work. I'll get it a shot though.

• Mercymygft
    Original Author
    12 years ago

mskitchen...Great! I had a hard time posting pics at first till I got the hang of it. Just take your pics, then load them on to your computer and upload them to a photo site like photobucket.com, then copy the HTML Code of the picture and paste that right into the message box. Your picture will show up right in your post.

• Daicey
    12 years ago

Santa Cruz - no bead - Cherry Pecan. They come off a little orange like in the photos but they don't look that way in person to me. You know how lighting can be, the floor looks different in person as well...

We are ALMOST there!

• Mercymygft
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Wow, Daicey your cabinets are gorgeous! I have seen sample doors of the cherry with the pecan stain in person and it is a beautiful color and finish! Congrats on your lovely kitchen.

• kalapointer
    12 years ago

We put Medallion cabinets in about a year ago and we love them. They are QS oak with the vineyard stain and the island is stained to match out window molding.

• mskitchen
    12 years ago

mercy, I've taken the pictures, uploaded to photobucket, tried to post them here, didn't work, deleted them and then uploaded again, I don't know what I'm doing wrong but it's now driving me crazy. If you want to give me your email address, I'll send them to you that way.

Eileen

• mskitchen
    12 years ago

I managed to get one posted, when I tried to do a second one, the first one disappeared, this is maddening!

• queensinfo
    12 years ago

daicey - i have the same exacty cabinets and color that i installed 3 years ago (with a similar color floor tile). they have held up great and i have been very happy with medallion. We even had a small issue with a drawerfront knot and a door that had a small crack on the edge and they sent replacements very quickly.

• Mercymygft
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks everyone for your recommendations and for posting your pictures! Everyone's kitchens are so lovely! I just love the finish of the Medallion's cabinets!

• marcy96
    12 years ago

I installed Schuler cabinets from Lowe's in my kitchen a couple of years ago. They are the same as Medallion. I love the finish and the construction, so I say go with Medallion. They will also customize most of their cabinets for you. Here's a picture of my kitchen.

{{!gwi}}

• dilly_ny
    12 years ago

Marcy96- what is the color of your hutch (stained) cabinetry? Love it.

• chiefy
    12 years ago

Marcy96 - what are the dimensions of your hutch? I'm considering something like that in my new kitchen.

• tinycastles
    12 years ago

I have Medallion for my Perimeter base cabinets. I am really pleased with the color and quality. I would definitely choose Medallion over Kraftmaid.

• Mercymygft
    Original Author
    12 years ago

marcy96...Very pretty! What color are your white cabinets?

tinycastles...Very elegant! You say you used Medallion for your perimeter base cabs, did you use a different brand for the wall cabs? What white color did you use?

• tinycastles
    12 years ago

mercy-

Sorry for the confusion. No, I meant to say I used Medallion for my perimeter cabs, wall and base. The color is the Oyster Heirloom. (I believe Oyster Heirloom and Oyster Vintage are same paint color/glaze, but the Heirloom has an additional upcharge for "distressing"...or something along that lines). There is also another color that is less cream and a little more of a true soft white. Can't remember what that color is called. HTH

• Mercymygft
    Original Author
    12 years ago

tinycastles... Okay, that makes more sense. Is it possible to take a close up picture of your cabinets so I could see how their glazes look. From a distance they appear to be just a solid color.

The link is to the different colors/glazes. The one that is a shade whiter is the Moral Heirloom.

Here is a link that might be useful: Medallion Paint/Stain Colors

• marcy96
    12 years ago

Hi mercymygft,
    My hutch is stained Chestnut rustic maple, and the main cabinets are painted Oyster Vintage maple. The hutch is 5 and 1/2 feet wide and 21" deep. I used bathroom vanity cabinets for the bottom as they come in 21" deep and I didn't have to pay a charge to customize 24" deep kitchen cabinets! If you click on my photo, it will take you to my photo album.

• Mercymygft
    Original Author
    12 years ago

marcy96...One more question, what kind of range hood is that?

• susanlynn2012
    12 years ago

Daicey, I just love the stain on your cherry cabinets and your beautiful tiled floors and backsplash, along with your appliances and those gorgeous counters! I am finding I seem to love both White kitchens and cherry kitchens but what is most important is how all the details in the kitchen flow together likes your creating a visual eye candy! What size are your tiles? What grout width did you use and color since it works perfectly!

• marcy96
    12 years ago

Hi, my hood is a Zephyr Savona. I like it for the most part, but it's not very deep, I think about 19", so the front burners don't get great coverage. But I don't fry very often so it works for me. Has three speeds, great lights, not too expensive.

• marcy96
    12 years ago

Tinycastles, your kitchen is amazing. Do you have any other photos you can share?

• kevin broderick
    5 years ago

Medallion vs Waypoint? Have 2 different companies. Thank you

• PRO
    McDaniels Kitchen and Bath
    9 months ago

Medallion Silverline over Waypoint any-day.

I have worked with both companies over the last 11 years, Hands down Medallion offers a better finish and many more options, door styles and finishes.