Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kristen_hallock

Flooring repairs paid for by appliance delivery shipping co.

Kristen Hallock
10 years ago

Back in July I had my Bluestar RNB 36" range delivered. The delivery guys gouged my hardwood floors pretty bad. They had no clue about moving a range as big and heavy as the Bluestar.

I emailed the shipping company (Interstate Moving & Storage in NH) and they have been pretty good about calling the guy that originally refinished my hardwood floors and getting that process started.

My floors were completely sanded, stained and finished late in April. My house is an open floor plan and there are about 600 sq feet of oak flooring on the 1st floor that was redone. Then I covered the floors with RAM BOARD and they have been like that since late April. We hadnt uncovered them or even enjoyed them when they were already damaged by this shipping company.

So I got my flooring guy to come out again and give me a quote to sand down the damaged areas (about 50 sq feet would be sanded), that area would need to be stained and then finished, and then in order to have the entire floor be smoothed out and look "new", they would put another top coat on the entire floor. The price was about $900.

So I sent this quote to the trucking company and they are saying that they will get a 2nd opinion and that $900 seems overkill. I am worried that if someone else comes in and fixes the floors that they wont match the rest of the 1st floor.

What do you think?

Comments (6)

• Bunny
    10 years ago

I think $900 seems quite reasonable.

• jellytoast
    10 years ago

I agree with linelle, $900 does not sound like a lot. I don't think the trucking company has the right to select who repairs your floors. Since the trucking company is likely going through their insurer, wouldn't this be like a car insurance claim ... you get three estimates and the insurance company pays the lowest? If you then want to use the highest priced company, you would pay the difference? You have the right to select who is going to be doing the repairs, not the trucking company. And you have the right to get the estimates from whoever you choose.

• chrissyb2411
    10 years ago

I'm in NH so can speak to local prices.

We got several quotes to refinish roughly 1,000 sf of flooring. They were all around $2.50 sf. The floors are oak (white oak I think) and in fairly rough shape. The price includes sanding and 3 coats of poly.

So, I would have to agree with the shipping company that $900 for about 50sf of flooring plus a top coat on the other 550sf seems a bit excessive. But you didn't say what kind of flooring you have either. And what was the origional price to have the full 600sf refinished, and compare that to the quote for repair.

• weissman
    10 years ago

The trucking company can't dictate who repairs your floors but they can get another estimate. If it's lower, you will have to negotiate with them - maybe split the difference unless their estimate is a real lowball. Then you can hire whoever you want to repair the floor.

• SparklingWater
    10 years ago

I'm glad they are working with you khallock. I don't feel the price is too high btw. What floor products products will you have put down?

Today our galley kitchen floors were patched further (miscommunication during remodel), lightly screened and newly finished. Plus the DR and study (hvac ran through upper of study closet). I paid for floor work outside of the remodel contract as I knew and trusted my floor man and thankfully he was able to succeed with the final kitchen floor "patch". But boy did he have choice words about the GC not calling his cell with the number I had provided before that base next to it went in. We had the wood in the house btw.

Ram Board allowed one big dent right in the middle of the kitchen floor which the GC just shrugged about. It's tiring, isn't it, fixing others mistakes on your dime?

My oak floors finally look good again tonight!

This post was edited by SparklingWater on Mon, Sep 9, 13 at 18:48

• Kristen Hallock
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Well it was more like $2200 for the entire floor back in April. Floors were sanded, stained and then 3 coats of poly. This would have 50 sq feet sanded, stained, 3 coats of poly and then a 4th coat on the entire 600 sq feet.