Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
michoumonster

please help decide where to do walnut/white - pic below

michoumonster
11 years ago

Hi all,

I was wondering if you all could take a look at my kitchen cabinet design and give me some feedback on where to do walnut and where to do white cabinets? I want to have a contemporary feeling, two-toned walnut kitchen. Have seen so many gorgeous interpretations of this idea on here, so please let me know how to make it work!!

Right now, I have the lowers as walnut and uppers as white. But not sure if it looks ok. I want to make sure the kitchen will not be too dark.

The door style both DH and I agree on is the shaker door. We will just do completely flat moldings also, but I couldn't figure out how to get that in my software program, so it looks like traditional crowns here.

The back wall has my windows which will have banquette seating, to the side is a glass door going to outside. Will also have a large skylight above the island, but this needs to be covered with a frosted screen to hide all of the wonky framing.

Please give me your thoughts/suggestions! thank you!!

Comments (63)

• chris11895
    11 years ago

Looks nice! The only place that bothers me are the hutches on each side of the banquette. Do you need that storage? It's looking kind of crammed to me, but it could be the renderings. What is the view like out there? If you remove them you could maybe put more windows in their place.
    I would definitely add some recessed lights(with dimmers) as it will be more expensive to do it later. Cans are really good for task lighting and they work really well in kitchens. They can also add a more contemporary feel. Have you seen the square cans? Of course they're more expensive, but they look good in a modern space and you can install them flush if you have a good plasterer.

• herbflavor
    11 years ago

have you tried glass on the upper small segments of cabinets flanking range hood. Try just regular cabs around sink-but raise up the bottom and run a modern shelf the whole length under cabinets. Reduce the width of cabs flanking banquette and change to less "doorheavy" on top-have some open section somewhere-around the counter or maybe at the top. When looking at the pic straight thru to the window I found these banquette cabinets trying to grab the attention. Have you ruled out any overhang on island-down at family room end-perhaps omit the last drawer stack-put some legs and some stools around the end-I think you'd like it. In a couple areas I'd play with taking the white cabinet color or stainless and lay that on the top drawer of some of your stacks-that would trend it more modernish. You have great software it appears-doing a little tweaking as posters mention this and that would be easy and refine the look to get your desired look. Make sure there is enough passage around banquette and that end of island-don't see any dimensions here. Lucky you- nice big kitchen full of beautiful cabinets.

• michoumonster
    Original Author
    11 years ago

thanks for the additional tips everyone! i will do a few more renderings with all your suggestions soon.

the cabs above the apron sink is stainless. i will put a second faucet here for drinking water. I also want to build a dish drying cabinet above the sink. A dishwasher is going to the right of the apron sink.
    for the range wall uppers, i don't have an idea what to put inside just yet though, maybe this is where i can cut out the uppers?

i don't have much to display in the glass cabs, but i thought the glass would lighten and brighten the space more? i was planning to use reeded or frosted glass to hide the mess.

Sorry for not putting in dimensions. I think the software stretches out everything, So the kitchen looks bigger than it appears. It is more of a mid-sized eat-in kitchen, so i definitely don't want it to feel cramped with too much cabinetry!

The ceilings are 9 feet high. the sink wall and the range wall are both 13.5 feet long. the island will be about 8 long by 3.5 feet wide. The windows are 8 feet long with about 44" on either side. The hutches i put in right now are 41" wide, leaving a 3 inch space between hutch and window. I wasn't sure if this was enough space?

• a2gemini
    11 years ago

Mich - looking great with the dark and white woods.
    I agree - more drawers are better than cabs but some prefer doors.
    We also have a banquette and cabs at the end of our kitchen.
    I went with full depth cabs instead of having counter space - but ours function as a "his" and "her" cave.
    How low are your windows? Are you planning on putting a back on the bench - We put a back on ours and it can fold down to access the window (uses a piano hinge)

Folded down

Cave cutting board for a work surface - it disappears when I not in use.

• michoumonster
    Original Author
    11 years ago

a2gemini, thanks for the pics of your banquette. how many inches from the window do your caves start? i was thinking 3, but maybe it is better to do 5 inches so it won't feel as cramped? my windows don't have any moldings around them and they are set high, so i plan to do a back to my banquette. your piano hinge back is brilliant! i will have to look up your banquette thread because i remember you posted all your dimensions there. thanks!

• farmgirlinky
    11 years ago

I'll add my voice to sochi's: to me it looks as though you have more cabinets than necessary, and I would be inclined to take advantage of all that space and dispense with many of the overhead cabinets. Then you pick up wall space for more interesting and accessible purposes. That said, I realize you may be a professional cook or large-scale entertainer with a huge larder and batterie de cuisine: in that case, file my post circularly....
    Lynn

• a2gemini
    11 years ago

Mich- it is only 2 inches from the edge of the cab to the beginning of the window frame and about 4 inches to the window (5 from the glass)
    Glad you have room for for your back - I just can't imagine the bench being comfortable without the back
    We will have a table in our sunroom - but it won't arrive for about a week or 2.
    How wide is your bench?
    My only concern is the space from the table to the island with 2 chairs in the aisle. Also - are you sure you want 2 doors on your upper cabinets? I went with one door but only have an 8 foot ceiling.

Here is the post to our banquette
    http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/kitchbath/msg0810013925341.html
    I will bump it so it pops on the first page.

• sochi
    11 years ago

I would consider eliminating the white cabs above your big sink, between the two tall walnut units, or all the upper cabinets flanking your hood, or even both. Then go with open shelves, or just some gorgeous tile. That way one wall would feel considerably lighter and IMHO lighten up the whole kitchen.

Unless of course you really need that storage, in which case, don't worry about it.

I know some people here on GW literally took everything out of their current kitchens and identified exactly how much space they needed. My longest wall/run has no uppers, and many, many people thought I was crazy to not go for the extra storage. If I had uppers there, you bet I would have filled them right up. Your stuff will always expand to take all the space you have.

We are a family of four, two young kids, two adults, so pretty average needs. I'm not a professional chef, I don't have four teenage boys or an extended family of 22 that comes over every Sunday for dinner, so we are fine with the storage space we have, which is significantly less than you have drawn in your awesome new space. If your needs are similarly average, I really think you will be fine with fewer upper cabinets. Plus you will save some money in cabinet costs.

• sochi
    11 years ago

One more question, if someone is seated at the banquette, on the chairs nearest the island, how much space will there be between the chair backs and the island? The chef(s) will travel that route frequently to get to the fridge from the cooking zone, so you will want to ensure you've got good aisle width there.

Is that a skylight above your island? So awesome. How I wish in lived in a bungalow.

• michoumonster
    Original Author
    11 years ago

thanks farmgirlkinky and sochi, i think i really don't need all of that storage space, though i am sure it would get filled up fast with junk if i do have it available. And cutting out cabinets would definitely help in cutting costs towards a nicer backsplash :-)

annkathryn, thanks for the pics and suggestions. i am restraining myself from shamelessly copying your kitchen in progress (unless of course I have your blessing :)

a2gemini, thanks so much for bumping your banquette thread! i will print it out so i have it on hand.

localeater, i think i probably do need more light. i have to discuss my options with my GC though since they already finished drywall and painting. but maybe i can figure something out.

herbflavor and chris, lots of great ideas. i will work some into my new plan coming up for more discussion. thanks!

• annkathryn
    11 years ago

michou feel free to steal any and all ideas from my kitchen that you think are useful!

Here's the basic concept:

• michoumonster
    Original Author
    11 years ago

annkathryn, so pretty!! thank you for the plans!

• michoumonster
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi all, so i did a new version for your review. i figured out how to get the flat moldings now. so these pics will look more like the actual plan.

I shifted my island an extra foot away from the banquette wall. this gives me 10 feet from the banquette wall to the edge of island. i would guess this means about 5 feet from edge of banquette table to edge of island. is this enough space to walk around past the chairs?

i shrank the two hutches on either side of the banquette a couple more inches so that there is about 5 inches from hutch to window now. does it look less crammed now?
    also, i took all of the uppers out on the range wall side. i kept the uppers above the sink because i really want to build a drying dish cabinet that i saw on GW because I hand-wash a lot of our pots. But i shifted the uppers up more, so they are about 23" above the counters, but i possibly could shift a little more if needed.

one question is, after i got rid of the white uppers on the range wall, now i only have 3 white uppers on the sink wall. does the white cabs seem out of place now? where else should i put in white? or should I not do any white and just do walnut now?

here is the range wall without uppers, only a couple of shelves

here is the new sink wall. i extended the moldings out and added some recessed lighting, but not sure if is too fancy feeling for my space? i want the kitchen to feel sort of contemporary but utilitarian and not refined because i am going for a spanish modern look, if that makes sense?

• localeater
    11 years ago

Michou, I copied this from the post on aisle widths: Walkways....In a seating area, 36" of clearance from counter/table edge to wall/obstruction if no traffic passes behind seated diners. 65" of total clearance when this includes a walkway (i.e., traffic). [From the NKBA Kitchen Planning Guidelines With Access Standards]
    I don't think you have enough room with 10 feet; assuming the banquette is 2 ft and the table is 4 ft across then those 6ft plus 65 inches is 11ft 5 inches. My assumptions on banquette and table size could be off, but it does look like that is a major walkway so you really will want to make sure that it has plenty of space.

• michoumonster
    Original Author
    11 years ago

hi localeater, thanks for the guildelines. i think the table we will probably get will be more like 36 to 42 across. it looks like I still need to shift the island another 6 inches to be safe. i was thinking i would center the island with the skylight, but now it looks like i won't be able to, boo hoo :(

• sochi
    11 years ago

I think you could probably crunch those guilde lines to 62" instead of 65" (allowing 26" for the seat with someone in it, plus a 36" aisle), plus if you can swing a 36" wide table you are only 2" off ... would shifting the island 2" or even 6" still allow the skylight to cover most of the island?

I guess the other option is - do you need those two chairs there? Is that area for casual dining for one or two, or will you regularly have family dinners there?

Or - would it be too crazy to move your fridge over to the right of the banquette? The problem is that you need at least a 36" aisle as the chef will frequently be running between the cooktop and the fridge. You don't want a barrier, but you also want kids/guests/partners to be able to access the fridge for drinks or snacks without entering the chef's space. Locating the fridge to the right of the banquette might accomplish that.

Or - what is at the far end of the kitchen opposite the banquette? Could you put the fridge down at that end?

I love the topless stove top run! Why only one shelf on the right though? I could also see your tile running under the lower shelves too.

I would add some more white cabinets, perhaps the upper cabs flanking the banquette? Or you could create a white border around the banquette's to tie the other white cabs in (kind of like the walnut border I have around my white pantry wall).

• michoumonster
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi Sochi, thanks for all the suggestions. i am not sure i can move the fridge at this point because I had moved my oven to the sink wall and that required new architect submissions to the city for approval, so it was quite a hassle. i think moving it to the right of the banquette is a great idea though. I will call and ask if the fridge meets similar hassles. the wall opposite the banquette wall is actually a major walkway going from the front entry to the family room. So i couldn't put any cabinets or fridge there.
    i will play around some more to add more white and see how it looks. thanks!

• michoumonster
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi all, here is version 3. DH likes it, but I am still not sure about the window hutches. Is it looking more contemporary, or should I tweak it some more? What do you think?

Here is a pic of the actual space right now with only the stucco hood and paint and tiles installed.

• lisa_wi
    11 years ago

Looking good. Have you tried the shelves by the hood in white? How about a pop of bright color on the hood? Aqua?

• michoumonster
    Original Author
    11 years ago

lisa_wi, you mean using aqua tiles? i do still need to add trim and corbels to the hood, but that is most likely going to be a grey/brown concrete tile.
    i was thinking of doing some more colorful tiles for backsplash. DH likes the wood shelves because the walls are white right now, though if i do backsplash tile behind the shelves the white might pop more. thanks for the suggestion!

• lisa_wi
    11 years ago

I was thinking paint the whole hood if that's even possible.

• localeater
    11 years ago

Hmmm, when I originally saw the stucco hood I thought it had a very thin line of walnut trim on it, like a bead where the slope meets the slant? Is that gone, I swear I still see a bead in your renderings?
    Because you are going for spanish modern, I think a row of colorful tiles on the straight bottom of the hood would be cool.
    For the hutches, which I like with the white tops(so much lighter!)have you considered a curve instead of a straight for the connection of the upper to the lower? Or do you need the uppers maybe these should just be display shelves?
    I still don't love the sink wall, can you post a picture of your inspiration pot rack?
    Don't forget my opinions are just that and you can ignore. It is your kitchen, do what makes you happy!!!!!

• wolfgang80
    11 years ago

I like Sochi's idea of no uppers on the range run and eliminating the white cab run above the sink. With the right counters and wall/backsplash, you will get your clean walnut and white look. I would suggest you consider slab doors and drawers. When you have beautiful walnut to show off, the slabs do it the best. Also, shaker style can be transitional, but I wouldn't place it in the contemporary category.

• sochi
    11 years ago

I like the pot rack idea, but I'm afraid that (in the drawing anyway) those lower upper cabinets (where the pot rack would be housed) seem too low. I'd be afraid of hitting my head on it, or rather feeling like I might hit my head on it, while doing dishes.

I like the hutches and the cooktop run. I think that shaker cabinets can be contemporary, but I agree with wolfgang80 that slab doors show off the grain in walnut better than shaker. But I certainly think that even with shaker cabs the space will look contemporary. What backsplash tiles and counters are you using? Depending on the backsplash tile you could have white shelves. But I'd keep walnut if you end up with a white tile or wall paint.

• michoumonster
    Original Author
    11 years ago

localeater, the hood in my renderings actually has a pot rack on it. I am still not quite happy with the uppers over my sink too. I would love to see what ideas GWers can come up with to help me incorporate the dish drying rack in my plan somehow. i think it would be great utility for me and allow me to keep my unsightly tupperware and pots out of sight while they dry!
    here is a pic of a dish drying cabinet. but i would have my middle upper cab drip right into the sink and not to the side like in this pic.

lisa, i think painting the stucco hood a bright color may be too bold for us. but i will try a few renderings and see thanks!

wolfgang, i would love to do flat panels, but DH and I can only both agree on the shaker. a lot of the finishes are all compromises for us. just trying to make it work and hoping it can come together in the end! lol!

• lisa_wi
    11 years ago

A nice plum/eggplant color or some kind of a grass green on the hood might be nice too and wouldn't be so bright. Either would look beautiful with the walnut. I'd tie it in with the fabric on the banquette if you did go with some color on the hood. Worth trying now when its just on the computer ;)

• michoumonster
    Original Author
    11 years ago

hi all,
    here is my latest version with all glass uppers, which will most likely be reeded glass.. i am thinking of doing blue and white tiles for the backsplash and blueish banquette area. my software didn't have a blue and white tile option though, so i did it all in green.

i also got rid of the stacked cabs and bumped the uppers up to 25" above counters. not sure i can go much higher as i am vertically challenged.

one question is, should i do the prep sink at the very end of the island, or should i have it go in about 12 inches from the end? is it more useful to have counters on either side of the sink?

• michoumonster
    Original Author
    11 years ago

also, please vote-- white shelves or walnut shelves around range?
    most likely, backsplash will be a blue and whitish tile..

• Ivan I
    11 years ago

Logically I was thinking white, because I've always liked the dark-lower, lighter-color-upper cabinet combos, especially grey on bottom and white or lighter color on top.

However, in your pics the wood color really helps links it to the lower cabinets. And wood color on blue and green is always pretty.

Those shelves could come from the same wood and be stained similarly, right? If so, my vote is wood.

• herbflavor
    11 years ago

wood shelves and I don't think they need to match. could be good in a darker stain i think[link with dark veins in counter or darker table]....or even a blonder wood.

• sochi
    11 years ago

It is looking great! I just know I'm going to love that wall of tile.

I vote for the walnut or wood shelves, as MareLuce points in, they relate to the lower cabs better that way I think.

You want 12-18 inches on all sides of your prep sink I think.

• Ann Scheley
    11 years ago

I agree with having the wood shelves to tie into wood drawers below. Looks great! You have so much space. I apologize, I'm just coming in on your post and not quite sure what style you are leaning towards. I got contemporary and spanish, is that right?

• lalithar
    11 years ago

I Iike the walnut shelves. Without the uppers on the range wall, the range and the hood not being centered really bothers me. Is there some clever gardenweb solution? I was thinking a tall narrow pull out pantry or a hutch at the end of the longer side.

• lalithar
    11 years ago

I Iike the walnut shelves. Without the uppers on the range wall, the range and the hood not being centered really bothers me. Is there some clever gardenweb solution? I was thinking a tall narrow pull out pantry or a hutch at the end of the longer side.

• michoumonster
    Original Author
    11 years ago

thanks all, sounds like wood shelves is the clear winner over white shelves here.
    lalitha, the range not being centered bothers me too, but our contractor said that it would look weirder if i didn't have the range centered with the skylight shaft. our ceilings in the kitchen are a little bit odd.
    anyway, i took your suggestion and added a hutch at the end of the range wall run. but i am not sure if it makes it feel more symmetric, or if it looks out of place?? would love to see what you all think or if you have any other ideas!

i discovered another issue today with my kitchen. the wall next to the wall oven is actually only 18" deep, so that the cabinet run will protrude from the wall. do you think this will look weird? or should i ask if my GC can extend the drywall out to meet the cabinets?

• sochi
    11 years ago

I prefer it without the hutch and the slightly off-centre hood. We can't fully appreciate the sky light and it may well be more important to centre the hood on that. The single hutch looks a little out of place to me.

• sochi
    11 years ago

I prefer it without the hutch and the slightly off-centre hood. We can't fully appreciate the sky light and it may well be more important to centre the hood on that. The single hutch looks a little out of place to me.

• sochi
    11 years ago

Hmm, anyone know why there are so many double posts lately? Or is it just me seeing them?

• Ivan I
    11 years ago

Like the shelving on either side of the hood being symmetrical.

However, don't like the white hutch, at least from the mockups..

Depth of whatever you put on the far left shouldn't extend beyond the wooden shelves. I wouldn't want a deep hutch to cut off light or "visual air" to the left of whatever you decide to put on those shelves.

hmmm, but what shallow tall thing could go there besides a white hutch? Art? A big 3D knife and fork on the wall?

• Ann Scheley
    11 years ago

No hutch. Seems that the hood should still be centered on that wall, regardless of where the skylight is, that's just where the eye goes...Is that a possibility at all??

• michoumonster
    Original Author
    11 years ago

i agree that the hutch takes away the lightness that the open shelves gave. i wonder if it would help if i put glass on all 4 sides? though it would still be a lone cabinet on that wall..maybe have to think about something less permanent, like a mirror or something..
    annsch, unfortunately, there is no way to move the range now, especially since the hood has already been stuccoed in place. i think the venting was a bit difficult because the roof framing was very tight too, so i guess i will just have to make do.

• Ann Scheley
    11 years ago

No hutch. It seems to me the hood should be centered on the wall regardless of the skylight. Is that still possible?

• Ann Scheley
    11 years ago

OOOps! Sorry, ignore that last post. Didn't know my other one posted and am just seeing your post now.

I just had an idea, though. What if you kept the shelves the way they are in the rendering with the hutch, then instead of the hutch you just put a column of the same colored wood shelves there maybe a column of 3 shorter shelves just to break up what the eye sees and you would still have symmetery adjacent to the hood? Does that make sense?

• Ann Scheley
    11 years ago

What made me think of this was seeing the hutch face on and seeing the smaller shelves inside the hutch. You could make these shelves different in some way to the wooden shelves, but keep the tile backsplash in between levels so the look is still open and not as overbearing as the hutch.

• michoumonster
    Original Author
    11 years ago

annsch, you mean something like this?

or more like a hutch without doors like this?

• Ann Scheley
    11 years ago

Yes, yes, the first picture. That's what I was thinking of. What do you think? Maybe the 3 shelves on the left a little shorter?

• michoumonster
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi Ann, thanks for the suggestion! I will play around with it more. I was thinking of putting lighting underneath the shelves though, so not sure if doing so many shelves at different heights will be difficult to wire.
    i took a look at the kitchen again today. from the main doorway looking in, the range wall doesn't look unbalanced. the only vantage where it looks bad is straight on standing at the sink and looking across. so maybe not having the range centered will not be so bad.

• Ann Scheley
    11 years ago

That's a good point. Your hood is spectacular! BTW and OT--I am truly impressed with your 3-D drawing skills! How'd you learn to do that?

• michoumonster
    Original Author
    11 years ago

thanks ann, but i didn't draw it freehand. i use a software that my DH got for me to design our house. it is the Better Homes and Gardens design software. my version is older so i cannot do as much with it as the newer versions available, but i think it is enough to get a good idea on things. it is pretty user-friendly with lots of finishes to choose to customize a design.

• Ann Scheley
    11 years ago

michou--I figured it was software...but you seem to have a good grasp of it. I myself am a little technologically challenged! :)
    Thanks for the info! I will look into it.