Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sheremy_gw

PLEASE help me with my kitchen!! It's horrible!!

sheremy
9 years ago

I have searched and searched and thought for almost a year for ideas on how to fix my kitchen, on a BUDGET (as the rest of my house is just as bad) and I've come up with a few thoughts, but I'm not a very good visionary when it comes to these things and I really just need some help! I hate everything about my kitchen.. from the color of the granite counter tops to the tile on the floor and everything in between! I know I need to paint the walls, I'm clueless as to what color.. I've been considering painting my cabinets antique white and changing the handles to oil rubbed bronze. I cannot afford right now to change the countertops, I would love if they were wood, but for now I was thinking maybe if I tile the back splash I could live with the counters for now. I hate the floors, I'm not sure what to do with them though. I have an area of completely wasted space behind my counter that drives me nuts.. I just need help! Any thoughts or opinions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!!

Comments (82)

• amykath
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

One other thing that would be super affordable and make a difference would be to add a stainless vent hood. You could probably even spray paint it with fireproof rated spray paint. I have also seen the same with fridges and ranges. I spray painted my range in my old home and it looked great! There are also certain types of paper you could put on your fridge. I love the mockup with the cream cabs and backsplash!

For the bs you should check out floor and decor.

Here is a link that might be useful: link to bs site

• lazy_gardens
    9 years ago

The deep rosepink-toned walls are making the counter look much greener by comparison. Pale grey would make it less green.

The corner cabinets are silly ... I would remove them,. and if the door sizes match, replace a couple of kitchen upper cabinet doors with the glass doors and paint the inside of the cabinet a bright accent.

In that area, put a pretty rug (with some green tones to go with thr counters) a couple of comfy chairs or loveseat and chair and a small table for reading and chatting with the cook. And hang some artwork.

Increase the wattage of your undercounter lights, and use "daylight" or bright white" instead of warm tone light sources.

Painting cabinets is a LOT of work. Yes, they claim chalk paint doesn't need priming but it also shows EVERY handprint and grease fleck unless you wax it and maintain it. It's for decorative furniture, not kitchens.

• sheremy
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for all of the replies, I really appreciate it! To answer all of the questions,
    Jillius, I'm not sure WHAT the area was meant for, they've never had a table back there that I know of, I do have a dining room which is right through the door, I'll try to post pictures to give a better idea of the floorplan, I'm new to this site and not very familiar with how to post pictures, seems like it'll only let me post one at a time?

publikman, it seems like that's what it should be, I've considered putting a small bistro set in front of the window, I'm not sure how the floors are under the cabinets, but I would love to rip them out. I'm trying to do as minimal destruction as possible for now, my husband would die if I started ripping out cabinets, I'm thinking that if I start with painting and bring my vision to life, he'll trust me to do whatever! He says he doesn't care, but I'm sure that if he came home to me ripping cabinets out the walls he would freak! Lol

zackey, thank you but I hate the floors, it looks dingy and dull no matter how much I clean it, I cannot make them shine, and I'm hoping to get rid of as much green as possible instead of adding more.

homesweethome1, I live in southeast louisiana and I'm not sure if there's a habitat for humanity here, but I'll definitely check into that, thank you!

oldfixer, I love how you think, thank you! :)

Christymck, thank you! I know it's a ton of work which is why I've put it off for as long as I did, then I read something about chalk paint and how it doesn't requiring sanding or priming and it dries fairly quickly, which is what started me thinking about it again. I was thinking about doing my bottom cabinets a different color from the top, just can't really come up with a color scheme that would go well with the counters. I'm hoping that once it's all said and done my husband will just agree to letting me get wood countertops like I want! The extra space has been tricky for me, I've considered removing the doors on the cabinets and making it look a little less "formal" I guess is the word, I'd love it if that window was a bay window, but it isn't, I'd love to have a window seat right there!

Nosoccermom, yes they are oak cabinets. I dont so much mind the grain being visible, as they'll still look real (right??) And I'm not sure about staining them, even in our old house we had dark cherry cabinets and I hated them too, I've just always wanted white/off white/cream colored cabinets.

karenseb, thank you, I don't know if painting the walls will be enough for me.. these cabinets are in just about every room of my house, and the walls are all different colors.. I hate them all equally. It just really seems to "old" for me, I guess? I'm 27 and light oak and gold have always been my 2 least favorite things in the world, I WISH I loved them, then I wouldn't have anything to worry about, but I just don't :(

Smalloldhouse, thank you very much, I'll check it out! :)

Sbdesign, thank you and I agree.. I guess I'm just looking for a quick "cheap fix" because I have to remodel just about every room in my house. I would love to reface them, hell, I'd love to rip out every single wall in this house and build my own layout from scratch! :)

Aktillery, thank you I've been thinking about that too, I found a website last week with stainless steel contact paper for appliances and I probably will end up doing that, the black appliances don't bother me too much but when I saw the pictures photoshopped they seemed out of place, once everything is painted I'll revisit and decide what to do with them. And as far as the floor goes, I think I've made up my mind, I want to do the tile planks that look like wood throughout the house, just going to bite the bullet on that one and pay for it!

• schicksal
    9 years ago

I'm guessing you have a fluorescent light on when the pictures were taken? In my opinion the lighting looks way too cool, and bringing in warmer light instead may help draw out more tan / less green from those countertops.

• sheremy
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Lazygardens, thank you! The wall color is a no-brainer, out of pure laziness and being so indecisive, I haven't painted them yet (you should see my living room walls!) but I'm going to paint them soon! I'm upset to hear that about the chalk paint, what if I were to put a clear coat on them? I'm not a painter by any means, I know nothing about painting, just been reading online. I like your idea about the doors, however, I don't particularly care for the glass doors either, I was thinking about removing some of the doors altogether here and there and just having them open? The lighting in the kitchen is a whole different issue, I intend to replace the recessed lights above my sink with pendants and definitely ditch the ugly green fan behind the counter (not sure if yall can see that)

• bellsmom
    9 years ago

Two more color ways suggested by others to think about:

With new backsplash, hardware, and wall color. This made a BIG improvement.

With gel stain on existing cabs:

I have learned a lot about PhotoShop from playing with your kitchen. Please realize I can't always get the colors I want without spending more time than I can. The subway tile was the first light colored tile I came on. Not what I would particularly recommend. Just use all ideas here as starting points to help you visualize different ideas.

FWIW, I think if this were mine, I would
    1. first paint walls and

2. replace the backsplash. I wonder if you can just tile over the existing green marble. Not sure that beadboard works with the cabinet style, but it would be quick and not expensive to try it.

3. Then decide on the cabinets: keep them as is, paint them white, gel stain them. If I went with paint or gel stain, I would decide whether or not to replace the doors. No need to replace the entire cabs. Does the arched design in the doors bother you?

4. Try to live with the floor as it is. I personally would much prefer wood flooring, especially if I painted the cabs. Wonder if the old wood flooring is under the tile.

This post was edited by Bellsmom on Mon, Sep 22, 14 at 10:13

• sheremy
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Excuse my sons refrigerator art please! :)

• sheremy
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Right through the kitchen is my dining room (need a new table and wall color and the chandelier has GOT to go!)

• sheremy
    Original Author
    9 years ago

There's another door off the kitchen that leads to the living room, but I took the picture from the dining room, since it's open.. excuse my offensive fireplace, first post I ever made on this site was concerning that.. I painted the mantle white, it was the same color as my cabinets.. I'm actually in the process of redoing it, gonna rip the gold beast out and raise the hearth and get rid of the black tile

• sheremy
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I failed to even mention this mess next to my refrigerator, didn't want to overwhelm yall! :) I think there was a cabinet here before they put the cart, but they got a new refrigerator and it wouldn't fit, so they took out the cabinet and put the cart there

• sheremy
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Just a close up of the floors, not sure why they appear to be greenish in the pictures, but there is no green whatsoever in them!

• sheremy
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Bellsmom, you are AWESOME! You've given me so many different things to consider, thank you SO MUCH! Everything you've done so far looks good, which makes it hard to decide, but also makes me feel kind of better knowing that pretty much whatever I do is going to look just fine. Thank you! :)

• coll_123
    9 years ago

Is your green counter as green as it looks in your pics? It seems much greener than any other of the pics poster of other kitchens with green granite, making it a tricky color to work with, IMO. The only other thing I can think of it to just embrace the green, in some way, except I would get rid of it on the backsplash.

• lam702
    9 years ago

So many great ideas here, as usual. I actually like the light maple color of the cabinets, but I am a lover of natural wood. I think white would look good too, but I wouldn't use chalk paint. You want a durable, easy to clean finish which chalk paint isn't, I don't believe. Cabinet Coat is what many recommend. But it is a lot of work to paint cabinets the right way. Clean, sand, prime, paint. No shortcuts or it will chip and look worse. To me, its the green backsplash and the bright wall colors that is the main problem. Take off the backsplash, paint the walls something light. Then see what's what. If you still aren't happy, you can then paint the cabinets. But I agree with the other post, its the door style that is a bit dated. If budget permits, you could get new doors, paint grade is fine if you are planning on painting. (Barker sells them quite reasonably) Also, get rid of the corner cabinets, and tell your mother in law in a nice way, thanks but I want to make the house more to my own personal style.

• sheremy
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Coll_123, I'm not sure to be honest, just depends on the lighting, I realized the same thing when I was looking online at pictures, everyone else seems to have a "normal" green while mine just looks so much darker.. I texted my mother-in-law to find out exactly what it's called or where it came from, I feel like that knowledge might help somehow! But I LOVE your pictures, seems like changing the backsplash alone makes a HUGE difference!

• coll_123
    9 years ago

oh, I missed the bit about it being your MIL's former house...yikes, that is such a tough one! My inlaws have a beautiful home that many people would love to own, given the chance. But it's all not my style and I would have a hard time being happy there.

• HOMESWEETHOME1
    9 years ago

Hey, Sheremy - I just checked for you. There are Habitat ReStores in Slidell, Hammond, and Baton Rouge, and more throughout Louisiana and Mississippi. Including the link to the Louisiana stores for you here!

Here is a link that might be useful: Habitat ReStores in Louisiana

• sheremy
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Alright yall, I found the granite! It's called "Verde Laura"

• sheremy
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hpny2, thank you.. I'm so bummed about hearing this about the chalk paint, I was sooo excited about it! But at the end of the day, I DO want it done right and I never want to have to fool with it again after! So I appreciate knowing that chalk paint wouldn't be a good idea! The door style actually doesn't bother me at all, but I haven't been looking at newer/different styles so that could be why. I like that my cabinets are real wood, I just cannot live with the color. When we moved in the hardware on them was an extremely shiny bright gold, you could see your reflection in them.. I changed every single handle in this house in one day and I felt better.. I wanted to put darker handles but after comparing a few with the cabinet colors we decided the ones that looked best were these... now almost a year later I still hate my kitchen.. it's the wood color, it's just so opposite of ME and my style and if I would've built this house from the ground up I would've never in a million years chose these cabinets (even if they were free!) I'm not convinced that I'll love them unless I change the color. Luckily though, I DO have some spare doors in the attic, I guess they were leftover or something, I intend to use them as practice and then hang them up for a week or so and decide after. I dont want to be impulsive by any means, I just want to love my house!

• sheremy
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Homesweethome1, thank you so much! I'm going to look into that for sure! :)

• Liz
    9 years ago

I'd start with:
    - painting the walls
    - putting in a lighter backsplash
    - new cabinet hardware
    - new lighting fixtures (maybe even under-cabinet lights)
    These are the easiest changes, and will make a huge difference.

For the cabinets, I'd be hesitant to take on the job of painting. Maybe you could swap some of the upper doors for glass.

Painting the cabinets is just a huge job, and you might not need to after you make the other changes. The existing cabs are already fairly light.

• coll_123
    9 years ago

I would definitely not do chalk paint, either. I would use a satin enamel- some people like to use oil based enamel, if you can still buy it where you are. And there are new "hybrid" oil modified products which lay out easier than latex paints yet still clean up with soap and water. Ben Moore "advance" is one of those. I am going to visit my mom this fall and will be painting her cabinets for her and I'll probably use Advance. I used a cabinet paint by C2 which I can't get where my mom lives. If you are not a good painter, the oil enamels will actually give you the smoothest look, but clean up sucks. If you are a competent painter, I like the new hybrid products.

I painted my kitchen cabinets (early 90s pickeled oak look) and am beyond happy with the results. Yes, it is a lot of work but I'm a professional painter so at the end of the day, it was just an investment of my time and cost of paint supplies. (my household renovation budget is zero $). If you are not a good painter, I guess it could really be a challenge, as it looks like you have quite a bit of surface there. You can pay someone, of course, if that is in your budget.

The profile of your cabinet doors doesn't bother me- yes, its more "traditional" than what is popular right now but it looks like your decor is traditional, so i think it works.

• Fluffeebiskits1
    9 years ago

Sheremy,

I'm in SE LA too and there are Habitat and Surplus Warehouse stores in several cities. They have tile at really good prices (1. Paint the walls a neutral color similar to those in photoshop pics (FYI... sherwin williams 40% off sale ends today, so I'd atleast get some sample quarts).

2. Remove green backsplash. Either a simple neutral caramel subway tile or just paint will look fine with the busier floors.

3. Price new ceramic and porcelain tiles from Surplus Warehouse. It may ne cheaper than you think, but doing #1 and 2 could make the floors work better.

4. Remove corner cabinets and make that area either breakfast nook or small keeping area with neutral furniture and colorful pillows to tie colors together.

5. Replace lighting and add your ORB hardware.

If you still don't like the kitchen, then i would paint the cabinets a deep cream or taupe color. Yeah, painting cabinets is pure hell! I am preparing to paint mine again so I know. They don't look bad, but I understand if you don't like them, you don't like them.

And here's a few options from Surplus Warehouse for some backsplash and flooring options based on what I think are colors in your granite. Its hard to tell on my monitor.

• sheremy
    Original Author
    9 years ago

As far as the backsplash is concerned, are yall thinking I should actually remove it? Or tile over it? I dont know if I can remove it without tearing up the walls? When I try to put a simple screw into the walls I end up with a giant hole (even using the plastic inserts) .. and majority of my electric outlets in the walls have visible giant holes behind them, so I'm worried about busting right through to my bedroom if I remove the granite. Also I found a picture of a cabinet color that I sort of LOVE

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-gmSWONSRNRQ/TWxaH9zXJSI/AAAAAAAACfQ/fkT6l-Z7q2k/s1600/Photobucket126735338682_77163928682_25785.jpg

I'd like to do my bottom cabinets in this color and my top cabinets white/cream.. what are yall opinions on that? I don't want to try to do too much though.. feel like I'm in over my head!

• Jillius
    9 years ago

I actually think that'd go well with the green granite. But I think two-tone plus the green granite might be a little busy. Usually the counter matches one of the two tones (like white counter and white uppers with dark base cabs), or the second tone is limited to an island or feature cabinet.

• coll_123
    9 years ago

yes, I was thinking painting the uppers another color might be too busy with the floor, especially. I painted my lower cabinets dark grey/blue and the uppers white, with white glass subway tiles. I like the way it looks...big improvement over the pickled oak- but I'm also conscious that I see that same combo everywhere I look now! So in a few years, (if I'm lucky!) I expect my kitchen will look dated- again, lol. You can't win with this stuff.

I like that pic you posted, and the color is sort of what I was thinking. I have a raised ranch house with mint green siding. The bottom of the house was brick, which I haaated. I ended up painting the lower part that same sort of green/gray/dark taupe...it was the only thing I could get to work with mint green....I actually do not mind the green now that the brick red is gone.

I do not think you can tile over that backsplash. I don't know what is involved with removing it, but I would research that. Otherwise I would even considering painting it before sticking tiles over it.

Flooring- I've never had a tile floor, but my mom was looking to replace hers with another porcelein tile and even shopping at discount places, she was looking at $2500- 3K for the job (including removing the old tile. I'm a total DIY'er and did my backsplash but I don't feel confident enough to tile a floor.

This post was edited by coll_123 on Mon, Sep 22, 14 at 12:38

• cawaps
    9 years ago

I admit I didn't read all the responses, but you complained about the wasted space. It looks to be intended as a breakfast nook, but the corner cabs eat up too much space. I think it could be a sweet space to have a small table next to the window hang out and drink coffee, but if that seems redundant--you have a 5 year old. It seems like an awesome space for Legos or some other cluttery building toys. Or a kid's art center.

• raenjapan
    9 years ago

I wouldn't try to tile over the granite backsplash. It's too slick, the mortar won't stick well. UNLESS. Lowes sells some peel and stick glass tile. It's fairly cheap, you could probably do the BS for about $2-300. That MIGHT stick, because it's just adhesive. You could buy a sheet and try.

Personally, I'd gel stain the bottom cabs, paint the uppers the same white as your trim. Spray paint the hardware ORB. Paint the walls. Remove the corner cabinets and put a little seating area in there. Pull the granite backsplash. (How hard this will be depends on whether it was installed behind the counters or on top of them. If it's on top, it's just glued to the wall. Take a prybar and pry it off. You'll damage the drywall, but no big deal, easy to fix.) Then do a tile backsplash.

I could do that for about $400, I think, and it would look COMPLETELY different.

The floor tiles really don't bother me all that much. I'd do everything else before I tackled that.

• nosoccermom
    9 years ago

Below a link to chalk paint in the kitchen with some links on how to do it. Some people put a poly top coat on the chalk paint.

Here is a link that might be useful: chalk paint kitchen

• raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
    9 years ago

Verde Lavras is the granite that I have-- similar to Verde Laura when I googled that. My slab of granite doesn't have the variation of colors that yours does (and I think that yours is very pretty and has a lot of potential) but I think the basic tone of green is the same. I painted the cabinets in Martha Stewart Gull -- which is a cream with a hint of grey-green -- and the walls in Valspar Ante Meridian. It is a slightly cooler color palette.

I am posting a pic so you can get an idea how the colors look with the green granite but I have found that the colors just don't seem to come out completely true -- the cabinets look whiter than they really are and the counters slightly darker. Hope it helps.

• tomatofreak
    9 years ago

"I didn't want to buy it just because everything in here is shiny brass and horrible colors.. .... .. I'm having a hard time enjoying my home just because everything is HER gaudy style. Not to mention everything I change is a big deal with her, she seems to think the house is beautiful and I should leave it all alone.. ugh!"

Those are some strong feelings. Perhaps they color the way you look at the house? "Hate" is a word usually reserved for people who do terrible, unforgivable things. I don't think you've accepted the house as yours; it's still **hers** - a house you didn't want.

You must realize many women would absolutely love to have a kitchen as nice as yours, er... hers. Count me as one. Green granite? Sooooo much nicer than my worn formica. Solid wood cabinets? A world away from my 'cheap' MDF cabinets. And the size? OMG, how I wish.

If you want to make it yours, here are a few thoughts.

1) PAINT the walls! Pick a color, any color that you like.

2) Forget painting the cabinets. If you 'hate' them, sell them online; they'll go in a NY minute. Then you can pick and install your own with a footprint you can live with. Selling the cabinets will get rid of the granite you also hate.

3) Don't want to sell them? Reface them; it's quick, easy and much less expensive than buying new. You can choose a style you love.

4) Take up the tile and replace with porcelain 'planks'. (I confess, I don't like the floor, either!) It will likely cost @ .75 - 1.00 per sq/ft to remove, but it's not that difficult. Try removing Saltillo....

And, finally, if you can't get over living in the MIL's house, sell it and pick one you really like.

• Fori
    9 years ago

The walls are bad. Everywhere. They just don't go with your stuff. (They might, but it's okay to lie to be nice.) Trying to stay on a budget means you paint walls, not replace furniture.

I bet you like everything better in the kitchen once the walls are normal. It's a really good place to start.

You might be able to backpaint sheets of plexiglass or lexan to stick over your backsplash for a while.

(I think I have the same range, although mine is a downdraft version (bleh). Really nice oven in that thing!)

• McMegan
    9 years ago

The doors and appliances are going to say 80s no matter what you do, so I might just go with it. Paint them white or gel stain a nice wood color. Put in a blue and white dutch tile backsplash. Have your countertop stuff in a vaguely country theme. Just make it nice, clean eighties rather than your MIL's color choices.

• Texas_Gem
    9 years ago

Tomatofreak makes a good point and I just wanted to add that it isn't surprising that MIL thinks it looks great, SHE designed it after all.

Try to remember, when talking with her, that you phrase your conversations in a way where you aren't insulting her and her style.

Maybe instead of, ugh this granite is just so hideous!! Say, it fits you perfectly but its not really my style.

Just a tip from someone who is now living in her parents home which is completely the opposite of my style. I've had to tread carefully to make sure I didn't hurt my moms feelings or insult her style when talking about changes I'm making.

• Pieonear
    9 years ago

I'm hoping you keep that beautiful green granite.

• carolmka
    9 years ago

I agree with many others. Change the wall color first,

• lascatx
    9 years ago

I think tomatofreak makes a VERY good point. If you really didn't want to buy this house and yet it is now yours, your husband must have wanted it very much. For the sake of your sanity and your marriage, you need to stop thinking about it as "her" house and give it an honest shot at being "your" house. Your (plural -- as in yours and your husbands) home.

I agree with painting the walls first. The kitchen wall color is horrible, but I'd paint most or all of the house before going further. You could start with a single neutral color for everything and take it back to a builder basic that you can build on. I think that might make it easier for you to see the potential. Another thing to consider would be to have a color adviser come in and help you pick colors for the whole house. I've never done that, but it sounds like some folks here have and that a single consultation might not cost more than the cost of good paint to change one or two rooms after you go neutral It could well pay for itself.

I don't think your cabinets are as bad as the combinations of things around them. I think getting those many colors out will be a huge improvement. You can see that with just the one photoshopped image in the kitchen where the walls were the only thing changed. Maple is one of those fine grained woods that is beautiful when left natural and they may be getting close to a new wave of popularity. We've seen dark, glazed, white and now stained and painted colors -- lighter natural woods seem to be due in the rotation. You could be patient and be ahead of the curve.

I would not paint the cabinets grey, especially if you have not changed the floor. I like that photo, but I don't see that with your counters. You need some contrast somewhere. I think you could wind up with a muddy, drab and dreary look.

If you do leave them natural, I would change the splash to something lighter, but not white. If you paint them white, you could go either way on the splash. Taking out the stone will likely leave you with damaged wallboard, but it can be repaired or replaced.

You could talk to a fabricator about honing your granite. You have objected to shiny more than once. If that bothers you, perhaps you could bring down the shine factor. I think that would look good with either the natural or white cabinets.

I'd look at replacing the under cabinet lighting in the kitchen. You might want to do some other lighting updating too. I can't tell what else is in the kitchen, but if your in-laws are like my dad and changed everything to florescent or other lower wattage non-LED bulbs, simply changing the light bulbs could have a huge impact. Between the red in your walls and yellow in your lighting, everything could be darker and almost grungy looking. We changed out the bulbs in our recessed cans to LED bulbs with an integrated trim sold at Home Depot. The light is a much cleaner white, they don't burn as hot (was surprised we could both see and feel the difference, and they use a lot less electricity.

I am also noticing that the cabinets do not have a light rail and the crown is on the small side. I don't know how handy you and DH are, but adding a light rail and beefing up or stacking the crown would help update the cabinets. Removing the artificial greenery above the cabinets would also make them look less dated.

The space behind your counter appears to be intended as a breakfast room. A table and chairs would be intended there, but if using only the counter seating and dining room works for your family, the keeping room, reading room, library, playroom could work better for you.

The corner cabinets might have been a nice idea, but they weren't well done. You might be able to add corbels and trim to make them look more like furniture, but I am not sure it would work. If you remove them, could those base doors help you fill the space between the fridge and pantry? Fixing that gap might be an explanation yo MIL for removing the corner cabinets. ;)

I doubt you will find hardwood under the tile or that if you did that it would be in decent condition. Have you looked at a floating click in place flooring options? You might be able to do a DIY installation that would work until you can do a larger flooring job.

One more thought -- if you paint the walls throughout the house and still hate it and have a hard time seeing the potential to be "your" home, I would treat the house like a flipper. Make the changes that are absolutely necessary and do them for maximum impact and minimum expense. If you can't get past living in your in-laws house and the changes become a bone of contention between you, your husband and the in-laws, you might be better off making this a home with broad resale appeal rather than all your favorites.

When you get past the wall colors, it isn't that bad. We've seen lots worse here, but the question is whether you can let go of the emotional issues and start seeing it differently.

• lam702
    9 years ago

Yes that red wall paint should go. Just too much color there. I agree, you have an emotional reaction to the kitchen, I get it, mother in laws usually bring out some strong feelings! I don't mind the green counters and you have nice maple cabinets. The inexpensive version - paint the walls. Not sure if its possible, but if you can tile over that granite backsplash, it will help a lot. Something lighter and simple (an off white subway tile perhaps?) Undercabinet lighting, and yes, you may need a light rail to conceal it. That won't cost too much and you might be pleasantly surprised by how different it looks. I don't care for the floor either, but I think it would be ok if you didn't have so many colors fighting for attention there.

• sheloveslayouts
    9 years ago

Hi, Sheremy. I'm late to this post, but I remember your kitchen from a while back. I read the entire thread and the only thing I can add is that I agree you should paint the walls before making any other decisions.

I think Sherwin Williams' RICE GRAIN, SW 6155 would be a great place to start. It's a very light neutral that should coordinate with both your cabs and your counter. We had Rice Grain in our living room and it got a surprising amount of positive comments.

Best wishes!

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    9 years ago

Yes. Paint is cheap. First, paint the walls only which is the absolute cheapest thing you can possibly do, and which can be easily changed again, if necessary, and then live with it a few weeks, and then make further decisions. There are so many strong colors on the walls in your home, none of which bears any relationship to any of the other colors--no wonder it's driving you nuts. It's visual chaos.

• musicteacher
    9 years ago

Another vote for Cabinet Coat paint. I think it can only be mixed in light colors, but it is very easy to work with and leaves a nice hard finish. It really is extremely time consuming - don't bother to paint unless you do it right or you will actually make them worse. Scrub with TSP, lightly sand, etc, My oak wood grain shows, but I don't mind that - I didn't want them to look like plastic!

• eclair
    9 years ago

If you begin your kitchen transformation by painting the cabinets white (NOT antique white) and replace the handles/pulls with the old rubbed bronze ones that you mentioned, I think you would see a dramatic difference. Maybe even appreciate your counter tops and backsplash! Then for the second step, I would remove those corner cabinets and paint the walls a green color very similar to the color of the walls in the 7th photo that Jillius posted.

FWIW, I don't care at all for the white subway tile backsplash. I would keep what you've got -- provided you paint the cabinets white.

So that's paint (cabinets and walls) and removing the corner thingies, and I think it would make a h-u-g-e difference.

Good luck!

• sheremy
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Just thought I'd give everyone a quick update! I loved everyone's opinions, they helped a lot! So far I have repainted the dining room and the living room, the laundry room and hallway, it looks amazing! The kitchen is primed and being painted this week! I ripped out the fruit backsplash and the corner cabinets in the back. I think I'm going to do a bench seat back there but I'm not positive! I'm going to add pendant lights above the sink, and change my cabinet hardware, I will revisit my cabinet color once it's all finished! I can't wait to come back and post pictures for yall! Here's a picture of the kitchen so far!

• Karenseb
    9 years ago

Looks a lot better already. Can't wait to see more pics

• Errant_gw
    9 years ago

If must feel really good to get a start on making it your own :)

• nosoccermom
    9 years ago

What color are you painting it? And I have to say that already with the primer it looks so much better :)

• sheloveslayouts
    9 years ago

Sheremy! That looks fantastic already! I didn't even notice that lovely vaulted ceiling before. I'm looking forward to more pics.

My mother in law was considering a built in bench recently, but opted for a new dining set from world market with a bench. It works just as well if not better than a built in because there's much more flexibility.

I have a feeling that area off the kitchen is going to turn into one of your favorite places in the house. Its lovely.

• christina222_gw
    9 years ago

Looking good! Thanks for the update, I'm looking forward to seeing more of it.

• Vertise
    9 years ago

That looks like Hawaiian Green granite which is a gorgeous stone. Is there any burgundy in it? Maybe too much of it as you say with the bs. I think the colors are not working well together. Don't care for the gray floor, which sticks out as a miss, imo.

One thing that strikes me is the lighting color which looks cool and artificial and is killing the colors. A washout.

I would not paint your cabinets a bright white with those counters. Experiment with other colors. And lighting.

The light walls look much better! Have a plan!

• bellsmom
    9 years ago

Great start. I am so happy that you sound as if you are positive and enjoying the challenge.

Good for you. Thank you so much for sharing your progress.