Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Sink size for 36' base cabinet?

Posted by jqchen (My Page) on
Fri, Sep 9, 11 at 13:23

Hi,

Looking for an undermount sink for our 36" base cabinet. Should I get a 35" sink or 32" one? Is it the bigger the better? I'm considering Ticor 405D sink. Please let me know what you think for a 36" cabinet. Would it be too big/tight?

thanks,
Joan

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Sink size for 36' base cabinet?

Also, are the accessories worth the extra $50? I'm looking at Galaxy Tools site.

o

Standard practice for a smooth installation is to use an actual sink that is 3" less than the Sink Base, ie SB36 33"W sink or less.

However, it is possible to notch out the sides of the cabinet to fit the 35" W sink in the 36" Sink Base.

Here is a link that might be useful: Kitchen Cabinet Kings Kitchen and Bathroom Remodeling Blog

o

Typically, a 36" sink base has 34 1/2" of interior space. So a 33" sink or smaller should work with out having to notch the cabinet.
Additionally, IMHO, the bigger the better.
If I had the space and my druthers, I'd recess a buthtub into my countertop.

o

When we were looking for sinks, our KD told us as long as the overall width of the sink was 1/2" less than the width of the cabinet, our sink would fit. She was right!

We put an S405D in a 36" cabinet and no modifications/notching was needed. The need for notching depends on the interior width of your cabinet; there is no hard and fast measurement that applies across the board.

In our case, the walls of our cabinets are 1/2" thick, so the interior width of our sink base is 35". My S405D has an overall width of 35-1/8", including the 1" rim all around the sink. There was room for the sink w/o modifications needed to the sink base. If your walls are 3/4" thick, that means you will have 34.5" interior width. You might need to notch the sink base a bit, but I don't know that for certain.

Main Sink, Ticor S405D (Dimensions)

o

Thank you all for the feedback!

buehl - Thanks for the measurement! I just measured our base cabinet, luckily the inside width is also 35", just like yours. So, I went ahead and ordered the Ticor 405D! I can't wait to get it!

Thanks again everyone!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here