Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jqchen

Sink size for 36' base cabinet?

jqchen
12 years ago

Hi,

Looking for an undermount sink for our 36" base cabinet. Should I get a 35" sink or 32" one? Is it the bigger the better? I'm considering Ticor 405D sink. Please let me know what you think for a 36" cabinet. Would it be too big/tight?

thanks,

Joan

Comments (23)

• jqchen
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Also, are the accessories worth the extra $50? I'm looking at Galaxy Tools site.

• KitchenCabinetKings
    12 years ago

Standard practice for a smooth installation is to use an actual sink that is 3" less than the Sink Base, ie SB36 33"W sink or less.

However, it is possible to notch out the sides of the cabinet to fit the 35" W sink in the 36" Sink Base.

Here is a link that might be useful: Kitchen Cabinet Kings Kitchen and Bathroom Remodeling Blog

• Buehl
    12 years ago

When we were looking for sinks, our KD told us as long as the overall width of the sink was 1/2" less than the width of the cabinet, our sink would fit. She was right!

We put an S405D in a 36" cabinet and no modifications/notching was needed. The need for notching depends on the interior width of your cabinet; there is no hard and fast measurement that applies across the board.

In our case, the walls of our cabinets are 1/2" thick, so the interior width of our sink base is 35". My S405D has an overall width of 35-1/8", including the 1" rim all around the sink. There was room for the sink w/o modifications needed to the sink base. If your walls are 3/4" thick, that means you will have 34.5" interior width. You might need to notch the sink base a bit, but I don't know that for certain.

• jqchen
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you all for the feedback!

buehl - Thanks for the measurement! I just measured our base cabinet, luckily the inside width is also 35", just like yours. So, I went ahead and ordered the Ticor 405D! I can't wait to get it!

Thanks again everyone!

• ldolby
    6 years ago

I have a 36” cabinet and would rather go small with sink since I have little counter space and a small kitchen. How small can I go?

• gotoran
    5 years ago

I have the same question. If I have a 36" cabinet, would it look odd if I put a 21" or 23" (visible) undermount sink in it? I like all the storage underneath, but I need every inch of counter space I can get.

• gotoran
    2 years ago

Since my last comment, I came to the conclusion that a smaller sink in a larger cabinet would look just fine.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    2 years ago

It looks fine, but you're cheating yourself out of function. Get the largest sink your cabinet will accommodate please. A sink undermounts into the same size cabinet, no matter what the sink manufacturer says.

• gotoran
    2 years ago

Sinks sacrifice counter space, and in my smallish condo kitchen, counter space is in short supply. If counter space is abundant, of course you go with the largest sink.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    2 years ago

gotoran:

You get a workstation sink. Now your cutting board is adjacent/over the disposal, exactly where it needs to be. Maybe a collandar. Now a larger sink has increased your countertop space.

• gotoran
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

You don't store a toaster, blender, coffee maker, or roll of paper towels on top of a sink cutting board or colander.

• dan1888
    2 years ago

36" sink base cabs are a holdover from the days before dishwashers. When everyone hand washed dishes after dinner. You used double sinks. And the two sinks were both too small. Maybe 16" wide. All the desiners and cab sales people had there symetrical layout programs set for a 36" base cabinet. The simplest thing for them when a client asked for a single bowl is to swap in a 30 or 36" single bowl without changing the cabinet. No need to reconfigure the layout. . . .And that's why we have giant sinks in our kitchens. A sink with a 21" x 17" interior is way larger than one side of any double sink. And plenty large enough to wash your largest cookie sheet or griddle or pot. It'll fit right into a 24" base cabinet for undermount with the lips resting on the cabinet sides. No future seperation between the counter and the sink. Install takes place when the counter goes down. You save money on the cabinet and the sink. You have more usable counter. . . .Work station sinks with ledges and accesories are available in this size. 23" Kraus Single Basin offset drain. https://www.build.com/kraus-kwu111-23/s1641227?uid=3888724

• gotoran
    2 years ago

You're righth on the money. My mom still has her pathetic double bowl 36" sink and it's horrid. Both sides are too small and I'd never have a double bowl sink because of it. Funny you mention Kraus. I have their 23" single basin sink, but with centered drain. Absolutley love it.

• nigelmarie
    2 years ago

Gotaran - if you see this - can you share a picture of your sink? A 36" cabinet works best for us to center the cabinet under the window and have the dishwasher immediately to the right. A smaller cabinet would result in unusable space and filler pieces. But the largest sink I'm looking at is 28" and I'm wondering how it will look / install. I'd love to see yours!

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    2 years ago

Get a 36" workstation sink undermounted (strapped) into your 36" cabinet please. You gain countertop space when you do.

• theresa21
    2 years ago

The single bowl 33" sink with bottom grates came in handy this Thanksgiving. When the turkey was done, I place the roasting pan, with turkey still in it, directly on the sink grates instead of setting the resting turkey on the countertop like I normally do in my very small kitchen. It was like I gained 33" of counter space now that I have a single bowl sink.

• d b
    8 months ago

Good question.
    I’m wondering if this sink is to large for a 36” base cabinet. The left bowl is 20”. Will I have enough space behind & in-front of the bowl?

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    8 months ago

That sink is not too large. In fact, you can undermount a 36" sink into a 36" cabinet if you strap, not clip or block, your sink in place. I'd recomend it. You may disregard the sink manufacturer's installation restrictions.

• d b
    8 months ago

Thank you! I was concerned that the space in-front & back of the sink (setback?) would be to small.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    8 months ago

It will not.

• d b
    8 months ago

Thx!